OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should manage other people's fish disease in a work thread and earn a sticky by fixing up let's say an easy 6 reefs from disease, your way. can't use one single pic of your reef nor mention it, ok go not.

I noticed all the stickies in the forum here are opposite of your way. Due to repeatability, I'd assume and possibly the fact 99% of reefers can't move an entire section of the real ocean into their home and use all ocean water from twenty feet away at all times. but that could be an over generalization, not sure.

:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
along those lines

do you notice how in work threads its about other people's tank

that's such a core detail into gaining buy in for a method, its reproducibility.

this poll is merely an insight into common emergence times its not meant to solve the world's problems. I cant find any data on emergence times, so here we go with a little start.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should manage other people's fish disease in a work thread and earn a sticky by fixing up let's say an easy 6 reefs from disease, your way. can't use one single pic of your reef nor mention it, ok go not.
People just wouldn't do it correctly. They would feed flakes, pellets, medicate, and not use some live food with living bacteria then they would blame me. No thanks. :confused:

I don't need a sticky or even know what that is. :oops:

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you vm for voting it helps to get any input for sure. I really think the emergence pattern trending towards newer tanks has to do with dry rock starts.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should edit in a no disease option agreed. The whole goal is to attain that and we're not sampling those so far so it's skewing towards only disease votes, nice. Coming up.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding that in might mess up the poll, those wo disease can leave out a vote it seems.

what Im sampling is when disease did occur, how old was the tank. it really seems like the no disease tanks deserve post recognition but they really wouldn't have any time to report for its emergence on the poll. polling is hard lol Im not a poll person but I like web post patterns, you can extract gold from that data if you get enough patterns running and tested.

edit: I cant unedit the option, looks like it stays. ok all the totally lucky get to vote now

he he

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the logic behind using a poll to determine age. From my perspective it's showing where one should focus their attention, what factors are relevant to the tank age? For example, zero to eight months shows me it could potentially be a new hobbyist, I don't know many with a two+ year old reef. Just a few months ago when I began my first ever reef tank and did not quarantine two Percula Clownfish which succumbed to Brooklynella immediately.

Maybe a new reefer did not provide the proper nutrition, rock structure/home etc. The list is endless! But this is the beginning and I'm excited =D As of now with small sampling seems to be favoring relatively newer reefs.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if the hundreds of people we turn out in cycling posts

could read one thread to get a vegas-style % forecast on when fish problems develop should they opt for no preps

a forecast warning, to save fish from massive losses at the hands of skip cyclers.

and no, we can't go on a rant about waiting 30 days for a legit cycle that doesn't suppress fish disease any better than a fritz skip cycle which takes 0 minutes to complete and still controls ammonia, studied on seneye many times now.

cycling isn't about nh3 that's the easy part. everyone feared over its completion the last twenty years, we've ended that...cycles complete always we know now

and that's turning out a gazillion new reefs no prep, Im talking zero

I talk to them daily in my messages, hundreds of combined new reefers. their rate of disease is shocking, and nobody believes me :) which is the only fun gradient to work in.

so lets poll it up. not shocked by results so far, and each line I type is skewing the results lol. we needed to offset the totally lucky who vote no disease, I guess. also aware a % of the no disease vote have legit earned it.

whether by tank age and artistry

or by buying all QT fish at the start from the online qt vendors, and adding them into a skip cycle dry start tank. that's technically a disease free/lowest you can get start option.

a portion of the no disease votes are the exact reefs we're all striving for

am pretty sure it wrecks a poll to type all that but what the heck we're informal Wednesday here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing is for sure

this forum is full of diseased posts we should get tons of votes one way or another.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if you study cycling threads of other people's tanks

you see 100% of them simply want a fish add date, a can-reef safely date and that's the dangerous form of free ammonia we want controlled in skip cycle threads.

or at reef conventions where 500 reefs all get ready by a start date, without variation, for thirty years across all conventions. nh3 control is what they align one way or another, to meet the convention with a hundred grand per tank in animals for sale

a new reefer wants to know when they can add two clowns safely. so we tracked out those times using seneye, and did it using enough of other people's tanks to make an inspectable pattern. we did the rare thing.

and then over time I got follow up pm's from the cycled help my clown is all white and its mouth is hanging open (in a tank with anemones, full corals, sps, not a cycling issue delayed)

or: why is my gramma covered in spots

i got a lot, a lot of those messages. man I wish I knew how to edit out that bottom option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every day that goes by in this forum, new disease posts
a massive need, a massive trend developing we can see as a deluge of crypto

one set of stickies that can meet the bar for repeatability, all same alignment.

this is a tragedy I tell you. in no way would I recommend the update of stickies, your method needs a work thread Paul or it can't become main stream. only work threads become stickies here it seems, work threads are patterns amassed from other people's reefs solely. the good ones are taken out years, for undeniable patterning.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can get to those, initially am interested on initial detection times. all factors given, how long had someone been reefing before they had to seek out disease treatments. In my private messages there is a pattern developing as we follow up on started tanks, curious what it is outside in the forum where all the fish disease work exists.
If I have a brand new tank, and I put a fish in it and the fish shows signs of ich after a week, does that count as a 0-8 month tank?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you vm for voting it helps to get any input for sure. I really think the emergence pattern trending towards newer tanks has to do with dry rock starts.
No. It has everything to do with proper selection of healthy livestock and noobies that are stressing their fish immune system to death...

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess, until we find a better set of poll questions or ways to ascertain emergence dates. truly that has happened to me in chat about fifty times though.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich isn’t a disease....
Good point. Very few people would be able to diagnose a disease in their fish, from a technical definition, versus a virus, parasite, bacterial infection.

I believe Brandon's poll is using "disease" as a catch-all to include parasite/virus/bacterial infection emergence, as opposed to heart/liver/kidney disease.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back