At what age you will quit the hobby for good?

At what age you will quit the hobby for good?

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming I make it to 90 :D I plan on going until I cannot go anymore. When I get to the point where I'm no longer physically able to care for the tank anymore whether that be age, or if something unfortunately happens due to unforeseen circumstances. But I'm in it for the long haul.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things can change, but my current plan is forever. When I get too old hopefully I will be able to afford to have the tank serviced. Also technology will hopefully improve to the point where aquarium keeping and many other tasks are easier to perform.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove all the hard work, then it can sorta be your choice vs being set at an age or other arbitrary limit.

It's possible to do that too....but it might require a certain kind of tank, etc. So while you're young, figure out all the things that get in the way of most tanks A) being successful into the medium and long term, and B) all the things that make taking care of a tank physically hard.

I don't think you'll wind up with a tank that's very typical, and I don't think it will be all that hard. You have lots of time for learning, after all – so the only real mistake would be to rush. :)

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I am 37, 1st tank is over a year, already thinking about quitting another hobby and thinking about the next tank , bigger and better (still a few years down the road) but it has been a great hobby thus far and something I can see myself doing well into the twilight years even after being able to maintain a vegetable garden and then if money allows, pay someone else to do the heavy lifting maintenance and I can do the lightweight stuff like feeding, coral propagation, etc. But only time will tell.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start now while your young to make it easy. Making things easy, makes the hobby more enjoyable, your life much simpler, and think of all the extra time you can spend starring at your DT. And that’s just another reason to go big, tank size. Me personally, I’ll try my best for as long as I can, when I can’t I’ll just look and watch everything overgrow!

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't foresee myself quitting due to age. Finance would be the only factor.
Are you still be able to do WC at age 80? Or service the return pump, power head, skimmer pump , clean the protein skimmer, clean the tank, change cal reactor media n co2 lol financially I don't have a problem but physically I don't think I can do it. If I have to hire someone to do it then it's time for me to quit

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I am retired before the age of 70 (long way away).... If so I doubt I have a tank as I would prefer to sit on a boat or the waters edge!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes."

If I manage to keep breathing long enough to be unable to do tank maintenance, I suppose I can always pay someone else to do it :)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling big brother will outlaw my hobby before I get too old for it.
My _other_ hobby, perhaps... though I'll fight to defend my freedom as long as there is breath in me to do so.

I'm a competitive and recreational shooter.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time I'm 90 I'm sure my helper robot will do anything I can't manage. I also imagine it will be able to shoot lasers out of it's eyes to kill pests and aiptasia.

I have a feeling big brother will outlaw my hobby before I get too old for it.
I guess that depends which type of reefer you are. ;)

kz4q66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will quit when water bucket becomes too heavy during water change
Will quit when not be able to get on my step ladder to reach the bottom of the tank
Will quit when I can no longer tell the difference between the Frogspawn and Hammer head corals

Back