At what point do you say... it’s time to Euthanize? Ethics, cruel or cost?

Save the fish or Euthanize the fish. See scenarios in the posting.

• 1-A

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • 1-B

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 1-C

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 2-A

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • 2-B

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 2-C

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a question I am asking myself and others. It’s as much a cost vs reward vs an ethics issue. This is completely hypothetical. But it’s based off a real situation.

Here’s the situation to discuss:

You buy fish X for say $30

You discover fish X has some sort of parasite or infection.

Situation 1. You have no equipment or medication to treat the $30 fish.
A) You go out and buy a extra tank, heater, light, filter, extra salt for regular water changes, medications which average $7-20 per.
B) All of A plus get more fish to QT too.. make it worth while.
C) Euthanize and hope the next fish isn’t sick.

Situation 2. You already have all the QT equipment and medication to treat the $30 fish. You are treating the fish for 8 weeks and the parasite/worms aren’t going away.. you’ve treated it with every cure you can find. fish is pooping string white poop.
A) You persist and keep going to try to cure the $30 fish
B) You say you’ll continue for another (x number) weeks then if nothing good happens you throw in the towel and euthanize.
C) You’re done.. you’ve had it, this fish needs to go.

I don’t think there is any right answer here. It’s up to the individual and how they can justify one direction or the other. Of course there are other possible answers to these situations.
Lets not argue here, everyone is entitled to do as they must. I’m sure no one wants to kill any fish unless they were planning to eat it. :eek:

I think if I were a shop owner I would be euthanizing the more difficult fish to cure.

My answers are
1) B
2) B but the time limit is variable based on what ever the future holds.. I would like to cure the fish to learn. But if something comes up and I need to shut down the Hospital tank.. the fish is going to get euthanized.

Last edited:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Situation 1 I wouldn't be in anyway because I always QT. so maybe (A)?

Situation 2. All depends on how bad the fish is, if there is hope, it's not looking like its gasping/ laying on its side or really struggling, I'll keep trying to treat it/save its life.
No matter the cost of treatment in relation to cost of fish.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish looks miserable then I would think that ending the suffering is best IMO. If I try everything I can within a reasonable time frame and it is still suffering then I use clove oil. Never been in the position of not being able to cure something once in QT. I have lost a few Cichlids to bloat several months back but that is almost impossible to correct once they are sick...

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see allot of folks hitting the 1A and 2A... are you being 100% honest with yourself? I know allot of folks would like to be the hero, spend the money and save the cheap fish but if it came to it would you really?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see allot of folks hitting the 1A and 2A... are you being 100% honest with yourself? I know allot of folks would like to be the hero, spend the money and save the cheap fish but if it came to it would you really?

Yes, even though they are fish, they are still my pets and I am responsible for their wellbeing, while my wallet may hurt more of I lose a $100 fish vs a $25 fish, my heart will hurt equally.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
%110 Absolutely. Until the fish passes away from whatever i'm treating it for, I keep trying to save it.

krbshappy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a tank yet; I do plan to have a QT from the start.
I would sink $ into the sick fish unless it was becoming significantly detrimental to the entire household finances, or if the fish was clearly suffering. Especially if it turned into weeks, I would probably euthanize because I wouldn’t want to live like that either. But the cost of the fish itself wouldn’t play into the scenario, a lot of my critters were free over the years, I don’t use that to decide whether to save or euthanize.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I would agree to assist in ones right to die given the appropriate situation, I would treat my fish and dogs the same way. One has to weigh their suffering with the chance of survival. Anything else is not humane in my opinion.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about a blind clownfish? He got beat up pretty bad by another clown and both eyes were completely swollen. Also had some swim bladder issues. I would turn off the flow and drop pellets next to him in the QT tank, but could only get him to eat the occasional pellet. He mostly just laid there on the bottom of the tank occasionally wiggling around.

Ken Ooi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I would agree to assist in ones right to die given the appropriate situation, I would treat my fish and dogs the same way. One has to weigh their suffering with the chance of survival. Anything else is not humane in my opinion.

Ive seen people pay thousands of dollars to save an old pet be it dog or cat that would probably been better to put it down than having complex surgery such as chemotherapy or hip replacements. It’s not ‘worth’ going that far. But of course being too attached to it means they go overboard.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried curing sick fish in QT and simply have had 0 luck. The stress of catching the fish has caused too much stress and they give in to the disease anyway. i Don’t have room for a QT tank currently so the fish gets to stay in the tank. If I can medicate the entire tank, I will but that is likely harmful to the corals.
the last time I had to make this call was with a wrasse that had a spinal injury. It was able to survive like that but when it got an infection that destroyed its tail in a matter of a couple of days, I knew he had to go. When I saw my cleaner shrimp picking its tail down to the bone, I knew it was time.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%

Back