At what point is acrylic 'better' than glass?

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the people on here complaining about acrylic aquariums like have cheap tanks constructed with extruded acrylic, or a similar cheaply manufactured panel.

Cell cast is the only way to go with an acrylic tank. Extruded scratches extremely easy and is very soft in comparison to Cell cast. I did a little experiment a couple of years ago where I'd put a piece of 1/4" extruded, and a piece of 1/4" cell cast side by side over the top of my tank. Within two days the extruded had a significant bow to it as it easily warps with moisture and weight.

I currently have a cell cast 1" thick 450 gallon and would have to actively work at scratching it.

After owning this tank, I'd never consider a glass tank again.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Acrylic is optically clearer than glass
2. Its lighter than glass
3. It is 10x stronger than glass
4. Sorry but cast acrylic does NOT yellow
5. An acrylic tank is one solid piece after it is welded, there are no seams to fail.
6. It holds heat better.
7. And the number one reason why acrylic is better... YOU CAN REMOVE THE SCRACTHES!
Yes..with water in the tank. It's not fun, but it can be done.

You scratch a glass tank and you now have a scratched tank fo..ever.

Just the facts here, not opinions.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus.. you can build a 600 gallon 4x8x30" 1" thick plexiglas G acrylic tank in your garage for $2,200.
:)

20200215_211856.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All arguments here have validity to them, both pros and cons. So instead, let's talk remedy. If you go with acrylic and get a scratch there is no need for a hours long work out to buff it out. Just work smarter, not harder.;) Magnetic scraper, melamine foam (Magic Eraser), a little bit of velcro strips to hold in place, a routed out block and a drill. Quick and easy.

Edit, should have added that there are products on the market that you could put in place of the melamine foam for buffing out larger scratches. You can do it without emptying the tank.

The CBB seems to want to help in the beginning then decides eh, not for me.

DanC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros:
- weights less than glass
- much more transparent than any other high quality glass (because there is no iron)
- stronger than glass

Cons:
- more expensive than any top quality glass
- scratches very easily

If you have the money and you consider yourself a very careful person when working with soft things and you don’t have any kids around it...you got your answer.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer to your question is wholly up to personal preference as to when one is “better”. I’ve got two acrylic (first was free) tanks and have no issues with scratches. I just use a magic eraser and everything comes right off. I went through four glass tanks with severely bubbles seams when I started my reef almost a year ago. I’d had zero issues with the acrylic, s instead of trying for a fifth glass tank I just bought a second acrylic. I don’t think I’ll go back to glass. I. Like the weight reduction, clarity, and not having to worry about silicone failing.

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last tank was a glass 120g and I got some scratches on the front glass, that were very noticeable and when I had the tank empty, I tried to hand buff them out, but it didn't work. BTW, I had to tear it down to reseal the joints, since it developed a significant leak in one of the corners. I thought about using my automotive power DA polisher, but was worried it might make them worse. So, I lived with the scratches, but they really irritated me.

After I gave away my 120g, I downsized to a used 40g acrylic tank 3 years ago, from my LFS, and it's worked out better for me:
  • I was able to transport and move the tank around by myself.
  • It had some minor scratches, but once I filled it with water they became invisible.
  • It’s very clear with no tint, which was better than my glass tank was, although I haven’t been able to compare it to the low-iron glass.
  • The only downside of acrylic that I can think of, is you can’t use a razor blade to clean off coralline algae. So my LFS recommended I use Scotch Brite Dobie cleaning pads, which they use to clean their glass tanks. They don’t scratch the acrylic.
  • Another potential downside is Eurobracing, which I actually like, since it has helped keep fish from jumping out of the tank.
Good luck in your decision

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there are some pretty simple things you can do in designing the system to minimize sand getting into magnet cleaners and reducing excessive build up of algae, including coraline. My 450 acrylic is approaching 2 1/2 years running and I have no scratches on the front (a few small ones on the ends thanks to my veggie mag), no bowing in any of the panels and no yellowing. No ugly black seams in the four corners either LOL.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros:
- weights less than glass
- much more transparent than any other high quality glass (because there is no iron)
- stronger than glass

Cons:
- more expensive than any top quality glass
- scratches very easily

If you have the money and you consider yourself a very careful person when working with soft things and you don’t have any kids around it...you got your answer.
Having kids around is even MORE of a reason to go acrylic. My kids used to like throwing things.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I cleaning near the sandbed I push away the sand a bit from the walls of the tank. I wait a few minutes for and sand to settle down. I keep one or two of my fingers just under the Melamine Foam pad and carefully & slowly move it along the walls of the tank. I try to keep it just off the bottom of the tank, with my fingers as the buffer between the sides & bottom. Slowly moving the Melamine Foam pad along using pressure with one or two fingers on the pad. Not sure if that makes sense. Just go slow not to disturb the sand near the Melamine Foam pad.
It's worked well for me.
Someone also commented on the quality of the Acrylic used in tank building. My Acrylic tank is about 6 years old and if I remember right my 90 gallon tank was about $550. Not sure of the manufacturer, I'd have to look it up. But I chose Acrylic for weight, clarity and insulating properties.
Just my opinion...

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was glass (75G), second tank was acrylic (150G) third tank is glass (225G). I'll never go acrylic again.

The ONLY reason I would ever consider acrylic is if I won the lottery and I was building a 1000G DT. Then glass is just not logistically feasible. Yes it's lighter, but that's it.

Acrylic tanks have to be eurobraced so you have small openings at the top. The entire bottom needs to be supported, not just the frame. And google acrylic crazing. My tank had a seam that had a spot. 2 years later the spot was 2x the size. So, IME acrylic is not a lifetime tank. The seams fail too.

Stick with glass. Buy some beer and have a moving party.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tanks have to be eurobraced so you have small openings at the top. The entire bottom needs to be supported, not just the frame.

Any rimless tank, whether acrylic or glass, needs to be supported across the entire bottom.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly, not a big deal to support a tank across the entire bottom of a tank. Most of us in the hobby are kinda DYI person " women or men " not that big a deal to pull that off. Eurobraced for an Acrylic tank sure, its a thing, trade off's for sure no matter which we choose. I've had glass tanks, and have scratched them too, but I've been careful with my acrylic tank. You just need some patience when cleaning or re-arranging rock work inside the tank. Silicone corners aren't perfect either, how do you clean them without damage?
Again, glass or acrylic it's all a trade off, or what you're comfortable with.

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for a friend for that friends contact info :D
I would never ,, ever ,, buy a acrylic tank ,,, other than the weight issue ,, there is no upside to buying one ,, I won't go into all the down side reasons ,, that we all know , not to buy one ,, I will just give one reason ,,

I have a friend that bought one ,, a 300 to 400 gallon acrylic tank ,, made by a top of the line tank maker ,, this was a really nice tank ,, he paid good money for it ,, he had a change in his job where he was going to have to move and sell the tank ,,

He pretty much couldn't give this tank away ,, the price was eventually marked down to less than 1/4 of what the tank cost new ,, and 3 years later ,, he still had the tank ,, and may still have it to this day ,,, I have never asked him ,,

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could buy my same acrylic tank 6 years later for 1/4 the price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I would think twice to buy a 6 year old glass tank for the same price.
To each his own, as they say

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, this thread is so funny... has anyone mentioned that acrylic tanks are suspected of causing the Corona Virus?

Are the glass tank supporters worried that acrylic will finally take its rightful place as King of tanks?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back