At what point is acrylic 'better' than glass?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those alage dozer pads are in fact scratching your acrylic. The are similar to the Dobie pads in there abrasiveness.

Someone told me this and my reply was... no they don't, I have been using them and cant see a single scratch.

So I took a spare piece of polycast GP (a top level cast acrylic) and bore down on it with the doobie.. bummer.. scratched it.

If you can keep it free of scratches, acrylic is sooo clear! See that drill... you are looking THROUGH 1" acrylic. That front panel is nearly invisible.

Anywho.. different strokes, different folks, not a big deal.

20200203_221436.jpg

Did you do this with the acrylic having water against it or dry?

I just tested on a spare piece of clear acrylic, dry - yes, microscratches. Wet - no scratches; and I pressed much harder in a much smaller area than the magnet would use for force under typical usage.

Edit: Also, on the dry section, I rubbed and noticed friction was causing the pad to warm up, that's when scratches occurred. I think that's why it seems to work better w/ water acting as both lubrication and a cooling mechanism.

Last edited:

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Yeah mine was totally dry and I didnt rub it pretty aggressively.

I thought that the water was "hiding" the scratches but I think your on to something!

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 125 Gal acrylic tank 20 years ago. Scratching was never a problem for me. I went for acrylic because of the weight and the ease of drilling it . Some acrylic tanks have extensive euro- style top bracing that can significantly reduce the lighting of the aquarium. After 6 years the acrylic tank did develope a crack that I had to repair

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 16g glass tank on the second floor of my house. My wife called me at work (on our anniversary!!) to tell me there was water dripping down the wall of the living room. She went upstairs and saw my fish in about 1/2 inch of water and screamed- the fish are all dying! Thankfully there was a 10g qt set up next to display and she scooped up the fish and they are still alive today. I did some research and that model of tank was prone to failure. I have had many glass tanks over the years and never had a problem until that 16g failed. I had a custom tank made out of acrylic. Tank is only 32”x18”x14“. It is made of 1/2” acrylic. I paid more for a custom tank but it is worth it for the peace of mind it gives me. It has been set up for 2 years and I love it!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main display tank, a glass one, has been up for 20 years. For all the cleanings it needed over the years I can only imagine what it would look like if it was acrylic. Right now I would have a tough time finding a single scratch in the glass if you asked me and monthly I have to use a razor blade at times to get it clean enough. Just look at the used acrylic for sale, they talk about the scratches, or they are hiding them from you.....

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main display tank, a glass one, has been up for 20 years. For all the cleanings it needed over the years I can only imagine what it would look like if it was acrylic. Right now I would have a tough time finding a single scratch in the glass if you asked me and monthly I have to use a razor blade at times to get it clean enough. Just look at the used acrylic for sale, they talk about the scratches, or they are hiding them from you.....
You can buff out the scratches on acrylic. Glass with 1 scratch or acrylic with multiple scratches that can be buffed out and look brand spanking new (Sometimes even clearer than glass. Previous post with the drill inside the tank). I’ll take the acrylic every day of the week. if you are buying a used acrylic, you should just automatically assume that it’s scratched unless it looks crystal clear (referencing previous post again)

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buff out the scratches on acrylic. Glass with 1 scratch or acrylic with multiple scratches that can be buffed out and look brand spanking new (Sometimes even clearer than glass. Previous post with the drill inside the tank). I’ll take the acrylic every day of the week. if you are buying a used acrylic, you should just automatically assume that it’s scratched unless it looks crystal clear (referencing previous post again)
Yes one thing you mentioned for sure, assume a acrylic will be scratched. It will happen and try buffing a scratch 20 inches underwater with a full tank of coral. Acrylic does look nice when it is clean, I have seen a few with a scratch or more in plain view and that would annoy me to no end.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes one thing you mentioned for sure, assume a acrylic will be scratched. It will happen and try buffing a scratch 20 inches underwater with a full tank of coral. Acrylic does look nice when it is clean, I have seen a few with a scratch or more in plain view and that would annoy me to no end.
I was more talking about buffing before setting up. A scratched created while cleaning or whatever can be fixed, but like you said is a pain if it’s towards the bottom. I was just making a general statement. I have and will continue to get acrylic tanks with scratches for a huge discount and put in the work to buff em before setting up or buffing to sell

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buff out an acrylic tank under water and from the sound of it, it's not difficult. One poster showed a DIY magnetic device and a cordless drill.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a joke...Obviously they want to sell glass tanks

For all the cleanings it needed over the years I can only imagine what it would look like if it was acrylic.
That’s the problem... glass owners can only IMAGINE what an acrylic tank would look like! They think that they know...but they don’t.

I recently discovered that I have incorrectly posted that I’ve had acrylic tanks since 1990-91...I was wrong, my first acrylic tank (300g) was purchased in ~1988... when I broke it down, cleaned it and sold it ~7yrs later, it looked like new! I purchased 2 new acrylic tanks (130g & 170g) for my ‘new’ living room, and ~25yrs later, I still have the 130g, the 170 was sold and appeared as a tank of the month on Manhattan Reefs yrs ago, and both still look great.

I don’t profit from acrylic tank sales...if you’re happy with your glass tank, good for you. I have recommended acrylic tanks to friends and have not yet received any death threats from anyone, so I think that they are happy!

And here’s an interesting side note... I’ve occasionally had to use RAZOR BLADES or stainless blades to clean heavy coralline on the back of my acrylic tanks!!!! Without problem scratches!!!
What?????
That secret will cost you.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest part of this "article" is a marketing ploy by the manufacturer of said glass tanks and is misleading to say the least. I bet they are not willing to share their failure rates over a 30 year span but I did...just saying be careful if they offer you Kool-aid. I no longer have a vested interest in the aquarium industry since I changed focus in 2008. I have just shared my experience and facts related to that experience. I will never have to depend on selling another aquarium again tomorrow or in the future. ;Wacky

I currently sell two lines of product and both are called Corian by DuPont. The solid surface is more prone to scratches (35% acrylic, 65% aluminum tri-hydrate) but it is very easy to repair and polish. The other product is (93% quartz, 7% binder) and very scratch resistant...but once it scratches it is extremely difficult to repair back to the natural surface. Both materials have advantages and disadvantages. The solid surface advantage is the easy to repair and refinish leaving a customer with a surface that is much more versatile and long living in my experience. I can restore a counter to new appearance in a short time. The quartz..it is possible I may have to replace it due to damage. Just saying until you have long term experience with a product you may not have all the information to pick a winner.

I remember one of my first reef aquarium customers. I sold a custom made glass tank by Mini Reef USA to one of my store customers. Their customer was watching his beautiful, fully stocked aquarium one morning when right in front of him the face panel split from the bottom corner all the way across the front to the upper right top. Instantly the contents were on the floor and he was in a mad scramble to save the fish and inverts. I drove from two hours away to help mitigate the disaster. I would like to say that was the last glass tank I had something to do with fail for no apparent reason...it was not. They were many including shipping damage and chips caused during the installation via small bumps on an edge or corner. I paid my dues to glass tanks. I still have several (4) new low iron glass tanks that are empty today. They are beautiful just to look at...but I am still a little afraid to fill them lol. They are all below 70 gallons!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Acrylic tank will yellow, it is just a matter of time. Some earlier than others depending on the quality of the acyrylic. The UV inhibitors are just that inhibitors, they do not prevent long term damage. Glass will last forever. As I said my main tank is a 20 year old glass one, had to scrap montis and chalice off the sides over the years and I would have difficulty finding one scratch in 20 years with a sand bed as well. I can only imagine what an acrylic tank would look like in a similar situation. Everyone has their preferences and acylic looks nice when new and scratch free. I don't want to worry about every single grain of sand when I clean the glass weekly and that is my preference. If some want to do that it is their choice, or they can try their hands at buffing on a regular basis. At 20 years I will take a silicone seal any day over the integrity of acrylic seams that eventually deteriorate with light over time. If one keeps a tank for a few years than no issue. I have heard of both glass and acrylic tanks failing at the seams. I would bet no one knows what occurs more frequent since glass tanks have been around much much longer and they outnumber acrylic greatly.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brian_68
So your experience with acrylic aquariums is limited to the use of one glass tank for 20 years? But because of your confirmation bias all acrylic tanks must yellow at some point right? I just offered you the benefit of over 30 plus years in the use of both types of tanks, glass and acrylic and did not even move the needle for you to even consider that the quote from this manufacturer is nothing more than marketing of their product.

Ever see a public aquarium with yellow panels? No and you won't. Many public aquarium panels are over 20 years old and just as clear as the day they were installed. And those public aquariums with glass are still just as green as the day they were installed. Each product has its advantages and disadvantages and that is why we in the aquarium industry offered you the consumers a choice. Each product has a risk factor and glass has a higher risk factor according to the insurance industry that has to underwrite policies. That is a fact not a made up opinion.

By the way when I first started with aquariums as a hobby in the 60's they did not even have silicone seals yet. The tanks had slate bottoms, stainless steel frames, and some black tar type of sealent. So for me silicone is just about as old as acrylic LOL.

Last edited:

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember my first tank, a five gallon tank with that slate bottom, black sealant of some type & stainless steel frame in the late 60's.

I don't have that tank any longer, but I do have my " up-grade as a young kid " a 10 gallon O'Dell 10 gallon glass tank with silicone sealant I purchased in the early 70's. That ten gallon O'Dell glass tank still holds water, I use it on occasion as a quarantine tank.

But I do have an Acrylic 90 gallon tank that I love, I've only had that one for about 6 years. Not sure if I'll be around in another 40 or so years to see if it will stand the test of time like my 70's O'Dell glass tank.

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with acrylic is the bracing. With my glass tank I basically have the 4” strip along the rim and the rest is open. I’ve seen glass tanks with a lot of bracing, too, but it can be designed out of a glass tank. It’s mandatory with acrylic.
also, I’ve never had an acrylic tank so that’s how I know glass is better ...

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with acrylic is the bracing. With my glass tank I basically have the 4” strip along the rim and the rest is open. I’ve seen glass tanks with a lot of bracing, too, but it can be designed out of a glass tank. It’s mandatory with acrylic.
also, I’ve never had an acrylic tank so that’s how I know glass is better ...
They can make rimless style acrylic tanks without euro bracing. They just use a little thicker acrylic to prevent deflection.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back