At what point is acrylic 'better' than glass?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The OP asked a question. Some people shared their experiences, then some people say they are wrong when about their personal experience or when they state FACTS.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The OP asked a question. Some people shared their experiences, then some people say they are wrong when about their personal experience or when they state FACTS.
There are always those few people that think they are always right no matter what. That’s why this debate will never be solved. I personally like acrylic because it is lighter, insulates better and I don’t have to worry about a seam blowing out. Now am I right? No. Am I wrong? No. But there are people that will say I’m wrong just because it goes against their opinion. I don’t care what tank people use as long as they’re happy. If everyone just offered the simple facts instead of making it a ticking contest of “you gave facts but they don’t agree with my opinion so you’re wrong” there wouldn’t be a debate

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always those few people that think they are always right no matter what. That’s why this debate will never be solved. I personally like acrylic because it is lighter, insulates better and I don’t have to worry about a seam blowing out. Now am I right? No. Am I wrong? No. But there are people that will say I’m wrong just because it goes against their opinion. I don’t care what tank people use as long as they’re happy. If everyone just offered the simple facts instead of making it a ******* contest of “you gave facts but they don’t agree with my opinion so you’re wrong” there wouldn’t be a debate
Perfect response.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am wondering if this was pointed at me? Not sure if you were the one with the crazed tank, implying that the risk of an acrylic tank is crazing. Crazying is typically caused by contact of the acrylic with harsh chemicals. Or by someone over flame polishing tank seams and edges.

Like most things, people have one experience or observation and then cast a wide net to include everything under that same observation. Ex. Headlights yellow, headlights are acrylic, all acrylic will yellow. (They are not the same product, not even close). Or.. acrylic has to be euro braced.

Better or not simply depends on what criteria you value most.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very old 210g glasstank that began to leak at bulkheads. This was just the start, so I began looking at other tanks. I debated hard between another glasstank, or acrylic. In the end, I had a local builder who did commercial type acrylic tanks. So, I had him build one for me. Now, I got to do a custom build to my dimensions (so no new stand), my own overflow design, and colored background or not. In the end, the tank is beautiful.
Because of the design, I can work on top easier, I can clean easier, it is crystal clear to see though (when I clean it).
Did I accidentally make some scratches, yes. However, this tank can be buffed without moving or draining, so I will when I feel like doing it.

My 40g, 20g, and traveling 6g are glass. I would love my 6g to be acrylic, except I would never have a nice tank due to kids touching it all the time. It has to be glass. The others, no need to spend the money on acrylic as glass is cheap for these and looks fine.

My qt tanks (20g and 10g) are glass as well. No need to spend a lot on these.

No one answer is best as it is opinion. However, I like my large tank being acrylic and my smaller ones are fine with glass.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go large I will be going acrylic. It is lighter...and has beautiful clarity and I feel less worry about potential leaks.

My cold water tank is 5 years old now and made of acrylic. I use a magic eraser to clean it. It remains clear and beautiful without scratches and no yellowing. I absolutely love the clarity it has!

Just be careful how you scrape it and don't wait weeks between cleaning and you won't have bad coralline build up.

Jzambito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All arguments here have validity to them, both pros and cons. So instead, let's talk remedy. If you go with acrylic and get a scratch there is no need for a hours long work out to buff it out. Just work smarter, not harder.;) Magnetic scraper, melamine foam (Magic Eraser), a little bit of velcro strips to hold in place, a routed out block and a drill. Quick and easy.

Edit, should have added that there are products on the market that you could put in place of the melamine foam for buffing out larger scratches. You can do it without emptying the tank.

Awesome!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time acrylic tanks are better are those times when a fish buddy calls up and asks "are you are feeling strong today?".

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic crushed it!!!

Next up... call out every single person that said "I dont want a jebao pump they are made china and are cheap" ... then starts a red sea reefer build thread.
I have seen higher quality plumbing at the dollar store.

Last edited:

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 131 posts. the pro acrylic posts have more than twice as many ‘likes’, compared to the pro glass posts! Acrylic wins again!
LOL, I wonder if all the pro acrylic people have acrylic tanks? Just like all the MP people say how great they are. I didn't spend $500 on a powerhead to say it is the same as a Jeabo.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on your size and lifestyle. If you want a tank under 300 gallons most would prefer and buy glass. It is durable and doesn’t scratch easy. However, acrylic is stronger, lighter, 100% more customizable and much clearer...even over low iron starphire glass.
People will argue that but the way light refracts through any glass is why acrylic will always be clearer. Take pic of your glass tank with the flash on you see very little of whats in the tank rather the flash. Take a pic of an acrylic tank at a public aquarium with your flash on and you see the tank and everything in it.

OP
OP
daftwazzock

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 131 posts. the pro acrylic posts have more than twice as many ‘likes’, compared to the pro glass posts! Acrylic wins again!

Yeah its clear to me now that past a certain point (like 150 gallons or something) the benefits of acrylic are not outweighed by glass.

That tidal gardens video of the 500g glass tank was insane. Like 10 guys, a massive crane, and a jeep with a tow winch just to lower it down to where it needed to go. No thanks. Wait til that guy decides to move- what a nightmare! And god forbid it leaks.

The post from the insurance adjustor guy was eye opening too. If they wont even insure glass tanks but acrylic is insurable-and cheap too- that says alot right there.

I guess if you're gonna spend the big bucks on a monster tank you might as well get the best cast acrylic money can buy, and read up on polishing acrylic walls.

I got a 75 gallon display made of glass (rsr 350) and wont ever go bigger than this with glass. Oh, and it got scratched somehow so that's always gonna be there. ;Hilarious

Last edited:

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to chime in and post this for those with a acrylic tanks and coralline problems - the algae dozer.

It goes between your magnet cleaner and your acrylic wall. The gray bar on the pad is a hard plastic, and easily scrapes coralline and hard algae off of acrylic. It has been a life saver on my 220g peninsula.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of folks have said that acrylic tanks are more expensive than glass. While this IS absolutely true in smaller tank sizes, the cost lines actually cross as you get into the really big tanks …. which is, in part, why I favor acrylic above nominally 300 gallons. When I was investigating my current 450, I got a number of quotes in both plastic and glass. There are always outliers, but generally the quotes on acrylic were materially lower than glass.

Last edited:

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those alage dozer pads are in fact scratching your acrylic. The are similar to the Dobie pads in there abrasiveness.

Someone told me this and my reply was... no they don't, I have been using them and cant see a single scratch.

So I took a spare piece of polycast GP (a top level cast acrylic) and bore down on it with the doobie.. bummer.. scratched it.

If you can keep it free of scratches, acrylic is sooo clear! See that drill... you are looking THROUGH 1" acrylic. That front panel is nearly invisible.

Anywho.. different strokes, different folks, not a big deal.

20200203_221436.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back