At what point is acrylic 'better' than glass?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main display tank, a glass one, has been up for 20 years. For all the cleanings it needed over the years I can only imagine what it would look like if it was acrylic. Right now I would have a tough time finding a single scratch in the glass if you asked me and monthly I have to use a razor blade at times to get it clean enough. Just look at the used acrylic for sale, they talk about the scratches, or they are hiding them from you.....

My big issue with glass tanks was always the corner seams. Either I ended up with a band of coraline next to the silicone seal or a bunch of razor blade nibbles into the seal.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good discussion. I ALWAYS prefer glass if given the choice. I guess at some point acrylic is probably better, but that would be into 1000+ gallons IMHO

Bernie21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does glass or acrylic hold up on curved or bowed tanks? Corners, half circles, cylinders, etc

Bernie21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno.. but bowed acrylic = more chance for scratches.

Plus, unless you live in miami... bowed tanks are soo 1980

Well, I'm from Miami, so I think I'm except. Lol. Honestly, I've always loved the corner tank and use to have a 92. I'm planning another larger tank and due to the larger size I was leaning acrylic.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scratch vs leak which one would u prefer? Glass silicon only safe for 300g or below. Bigger than 300g the chance of seam failure goes higher. Now add the new style rimless and wave pump inside the tank add much more pressure to the seam which equal to leak. Acrylic tank do scratch but if u are careful and using the right cleaner aka tunze algae cleaner u can minimize the scratch to hair line. Now just a little patch of 2000 grit sand paper u can buff it out with water inside the tank.
clarity acrylic is more clear than any starphire glass. The only glass that is comparable is Elos saphire glass. i have a 360g acrylic and 4 of us easily move it around. For the same size in glass probably 8.
At the end of the day i want the safest tank for peace of mind. A tank leak is a nightmare. The damage to your house and the lost of your corals and fish could cost u a fortune.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a 265 gallon 7 foot beauty get dropped an inch, and crack in my driveway upon arriving from the seller ( was going to buy it used) That was heartbreaking. If and when its time to upgrade my now 220 ill likely drop the bank, and go acrylic. i have a walkout basement, and a tank manufacturer an hour from my house. Entry is easy, and i can set it up across from the other one, and take my time. If i do it, ill do like 10 foot, and wide, and 600 plus, but i can see the plusses for Acrylic, and thats a fish only tank.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cast Acrylic is the type of Acrylic used in high-end tanks. It's superior to Extruded Acrylic in most circumstances for aquariums. If you're buying an acrylic tank for the first time, know what your buying.

I've tried the Tunze algae cleaner. I didn't have much success using it, probably user error.

I'll stick with melamine pads for cleaning my acrylic tank, or glass tanks for that matter.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a strong preference for glass aquariums around here, and I totally get why. I'm thinkging about upgrading to a much larger setup (73 gal display is a little limiting, no tangs/etc) in a house I'm purchasing and am considering using acrylic for weight reasons. Are the benefits of using acrylic going to be noticeable at the typical size for home aquariums, even 'monster' 1000g systems?
I'm a few weeks off this initial question so I apologize if this has already been covered, but I chose glass because it is harder to scratch. It does, however, crack easier -- but I'm not planning on hitting it with a baseball bat anytime soon. It comes down to what you are interested in. Here are a couple links with information. I hope it helps with what you are looking for.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read both articles, neither article pointed out the types of Acrylic. Cast and Extruded Acrylic have different properties.

I think everyone agrees Acrylic tanks do scratch easier, more care must be used when cleaning or moving rock.

If you're looking at an Acrylic tank, ask what type of Acrylic is used. If you don't get a clear answer, or just that it's made of Acrylic, I'd find another source to buy my Acrylic tank.

After 6 years with a 90 gallon Cast Acrylic tank, I'll still keep mine. One very small scratch & all.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone knows the difference between Cast and Extruded, at least people's first time getting into Acrylic. Even for a small tank like mine at 90 gallons.

I'd venture to guess there are a few tank builders out there that are only looking to make a quick buck off the unsuspecting.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY point was that the extruded tank would explode... so kind of hard to sell. And there is that whole "no way to really tell unless you attack it with solvents or machine it". At least I don't know a way once the film is off.

Plastic film.. usually extruded. Paper film.. typically cast.

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just note that the Young's modulus for float glass is some 20x greater than it is for Acrylic. What that means is that in an apples to apples comparison - ie same size tank with identical bracing, the thickness of the acrylic needs to be more than double than for glass. For the 1600 gal tank I am designing, I would need 1.5 to 2" thick acrylic, depending on just how much bracing I can tolerate at the top. I am contemplating the acrylic costs but frankly I don't want to deal with the headaches of scratching. Very few hobbyists can afford such expensive acrylic, and so when they build large tanks with acrylic, they settle for more bowing AND huge euro bracing. I'm on the fence as to whether acrylic offers benefit for my monster tank.

Last edited:

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference that should be considered is cosmetic. Acrylic tanks scratch easily, but those scratches are easily fixed and can be done without draining the tank. Glass tanks are harder to scratch but once they do (and they often do, thx a lot flipper mag...), those scratches are nearly impossible to remove and require draining the tank to even attempt it. You know it’s a tough fix when people will typically tell you to replace the entire panel. That being said, my next build will absolutely be acrylic.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few hobbyists can afford any 1600 gallon tank no matter what it's made of.
You're the .01 percent of hobbyists here that could pull off that large a tank and all that goes with it.
I still like my Acrylic 90 gallon tank after 5 + years.
Good luck with that 1600 gallon build, I'm sure we'd all love to see the build while in progress.
Take care

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just note that the Young's modulus for float glass is some 20x greater than it is for Acrylic. What that means is that in an apples to apples comparison - ie same size tank with identical bracing, the thickness of the acrylic needs to be more than double than for glass. For the 1600 gal tank I am designing, I would need 1.5 to 2" thick acrylic, depending on just how much bracing I can tolerate at the top. I am contemplating the acrylic costs but frankly I don't want to deal with the headaches of scratching. Very few hobbyists can afford such expensive acrylic, and so when they build large tanks with acrylic, they settle for more bowing AND huge euro bracing. I'm on the fence as to whether acrylic offers benefit for my monster tank.

Two things.. who cares how thick the panel is? Your tank would literally be bullitproof. The other is.. if your setting up a 1600 tank, odds are you want it to be around awhile. Silicone is always degrading, especially at those pressures. And the scratch thing... i scratched my custom 300 starphire tank and spent 4 hours trying to buff it out before i sold it. Hell, i didnt even protect my new 600 acrylic when i moved it. I just got it in place and buffed out all the scratches.

My tank does NOT bow. Bowed acrylic is from people being cheap or buying mass produced acrylic tanks.

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I care how thick the panels are? Cost for acrylic over Starphire glass is 3X for my specific case - that's a big hit. DIY glass will be ~ $15000 so you get the idea on what the acrylic sheets will cost. OK agreed I will want it around for 20+ years. I don't really know how long the silicone seals will last, but at worst I will need to reseal. If there's a scratch, maybe order a replacement panel. For acrylic tanks, can anyone comment on the usable life from experience? Are the bonds good and can one just keep re-buffing?

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few hobbyists can afford any 1600 gallon tank no matter what it's made of.
You're the .01 percent of hobbyists here that could pull off that large a tank and all that goes with it.
I still like my Acrylic 90 gallon tank after 5 + years.
Good luck with that 1600 gallon build, I'm sure we'd all love to see the build while in progress.
Take care
This is a retirement project and it will come with other sacrifices. When I do get around to it, I will share the build. For the time being, I'm still working ;-)

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference that should be considered is cosmetic. Acrylic tanks scratch easily, but those scratches are easily fixed and can be done without draining the tank. Glass tanks are harder to scratch but once they do (and they often do, thx a lot flipper mag...), those scratches are nearly impossible to remove and require draining the tank to even attempt it. You know it’s a tough fix when people will typically tell you to replace the entire panel. That being said, my next build will absolutely be acrylic.
Noted Crustaceon. I never managed to scratch a tank before, but noted it can happen. But keeping acrylic clean of algae is a real challenge... especially at 3 to 4 feet deep.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back