At what point should I be worried about pH?

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pH is steady 7.6 in the AM 7.85 in PM just after lights off. (Apex probe, Red Sea kit, and Hanna checker.)

Been like this for months. Haven't had much luck raising it. dKH is 8.5. I've tried raising it to 10, and still saw about the same results.

Thanks for lookin!

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What methods for raising pH have you tried? The most effective methods I have found for my own tank were adding a CO2 scrubber to the protein skimmer, and opening the window nearest the tank during the day. That combination raised my average pH from 7.8 to 8.2.

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better surface agitation and a fresh air line ran from outside of your house into the air intake on your skimmer should help. Like CS said, letting some fresh air in the house will help with Co2 exchange as well.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a person run a line outside if it’s winter ?it gets down to -40 we’re i live

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Better surface agitation and a fresh air line ran from outside of your house into the air intake on your skimmer should help. Like CS said, letting some fresh air in the house will help with Co2 exchange as well.

I live in Alaska. It was 9 degrees this morning. Lol.

Think I'm leaning towards a CO2 scrubber. But it's only a 40G tank, I may have to build one. The BRS one I think the tubing is too big for my skimmer.

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so. CO2 scrubber might be only option. Do your power heads or return line break the surface of the water at all?

I moved one of my mp10s up in the tank specifically for this purpose and my PH gradually rose right into the sweet spot from 7.9-8 up to 8.1-8.3

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What methods for raising pH have you tried? The most effective methods I have found for my own tank were adding a CO2 scrubber to the protein skimmer, and opening the window nearest the tank during the day. That combination raised my average pH from 7.8 to 8.2.

Which CO2 scrubber did you use?

I run a small skimmer on my tank, I don't even think a 3/8" tube would fit it, like the one on the BRS scrubber.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, hope all is well.

Great advice already. Fresh air is always great, but not at negativ temps. Brrrrr.

Co2 scrubbers are great. Surface agitation is my favorite. I think one of the biggest impacts is surface agitation. Just breaking the surface tension along the surface of the entire tank will not only allow for greater gas exchange but help reduce temps if that is an issue.

Another suggestion if you have a sump is to run a reverse photo period. A lamp in the sump will help fight PH drops at night.

Hope that helps. Go Heels. :)

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which CO2 scrubber did you use?

I run a small skimmer on my tank, I don't even think a 3/8" tube would fit it, like the one on the BRS scrubber.

Yeah, I’m using the one from BRS. I wonder if you can get an airline adapter to connect the two different sizes of tubing. It’s worth looking into. Also, I can’t believe he said “go heels” to a blue devils fan! :eek: Haha

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D :D

1603585794876.gif

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, surface agitation only works if the house air is lower in CO2 than the water. With a closed up room and too many CO2 breathers surface agitation may actually make things worse. Same issue with fresh air line or CO2 scrubber .... might work, might not. You could try adding a kalk reactor to your ATO. Ph 12 add water can help.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW, surface agitation only works if the house air is lower in CO2 than the water. With a closed up room and too many CO2 breathers surface agitation may actually make things worse. Same issue with fresh air line or CO2 scrubber .... might work, might not. You could try adding a kalk reactor to your ATO. Ph 12 add water can help.

I thought about trying Kalk, but I don't even know where to start. It's all of about 45 gallons of water in my IM 50 EXT. I ordered a CO2 scrubber, and we'll see what happens.

Another thing I was thinking about this afternoon. This house has no forced air. It's in-floor heating in on all levels, AC in the summer on the other 2 floors. Basement stays about 66-70 all summer. So there is no fresh air coming in that way. The house was leak tested after it built, so it's a tight home. Which kalk reactor or method would you suggest?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding a way to ventilate the basement would likely help enormously. I have a fan attached to my apex so that when outside conditions are cooperative, it runs. I’m a fan of the avast kalk reactor.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finding a way to ventilate the basement would likely help enormously. I have a fan attached to my apex so that when outside conditions are cooperative, it runs. I’m a fan of the avast kalk reactor.

In the summer no problem. There are windows and a couple doors.

In the winter when it's 0 out. Not so much. Lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back