At what weight do you need to worry about the floor caving in/contacting your builder?

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to set up an aquarium in my fathers home.
In my previous apartments and townhomes I did not have to worry about weight too much since my max tank size was 75 G +20/30 G sump all on the concrete ground level.

He has a townhome and I would like to put it on the middle floor where the living room and kitchen are but want to be careful.
Just guestimating off my head I think up to 800 lbs shouldnt be too terrible because we can consider that as 4 medium/large adults sitting around a table or on a sofa.

Any idea how to find out how much your floor can support?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the construction of the building. I’ve had 180’s on a second floor apartment when I was young. In an older apartment I had back in the day, it did make the floor sag and the tank seam started pulling apart. lost my deposit on that place, lol

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a loaded question.
There are to many variables to consider.

Where do you intend to place the tank?
Back against an outside wall, or inside wall?
Is there a load bearing wall under the area?
In the middle of the room?
(Meaning a 20 x 20 second floor room on top of a 20 x 20 room below. The center of the room is a poor choice.)
what way are the joists going?
Will the joists be parallel or perpendicular to the tank?

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This depends on what you floor is made from and your local building standards (if they were applied).

Floors will generally take 30 or 40lb per square foot without any worries but this depends on where in the room it is, what else is in the room etc....

The only way to be certain is to get a structural engineer in. The insurance guys think the same way if there is a problem btw....:)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more details to properly answer your question on the whole.
But you could look up a local structural engineer and bring him in to evaluate.

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

(Meaning a 20 x 20 second floor room on top of a 20 x 20 room below. The center of the room is a poor choice.)
I have a few options . I have the outside wall of a townhome on a second floor. I dont believe there is a load bearing wall directly under. I have an inside wall as well.
I am confused by joists, are you talking about the beams/studs?

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How far apart?
Are they manufacturered? 2x12, 2x8, etc....

Lots of variables. LOL

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few options . I have the outside wall of a townhome on a second floor. I dont believe there is a load bearing wall directly under. I have an inside wall as well.
Joist are what is holding ur floors up. I think u be fine on the outside wall

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are floor and or ceiling joists. These are the framing members that span the distance between bearing walls or stem wall foundations. That create the floor or ceiling or both in the case of a multi level home.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pasted image 0.png

This picture this is a typical floor ceiling joist situation.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Studs create the walls, the joist span the room, (To create the floor or ceiling.) Beams are for appearance.

I am not a framer but have been in construction for three decades. Terms are important to understand but not a big deal.
The end of the joist will sit on a bearing wall and normally span the shortest length of a room and land on the opposing bearing wall. (Normally but not always)
Say your room is 10 X 20 the joist will "Normally" span the 10 foot distance.
The outer 20 foot long walls will be the load bearing support walls.

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pasted image 0.png

This picture this is a typical floor ceiling joist situation.
Thanks! I will look into it when I get back to the place. Definitely would like to know.
If I put it on concrete, lower floor, I should be okay with no issues?
My guess is yes, since the lower floor is a bedroom + garage, and garage holds thousands of pounds.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the location you want it in will determine if its OK.
Plenty of tanks on the second and third floors of homes, that have never been an issue.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about mine... House built in 1941, bungalow, joists about 18-24" apart, with diagonal boards above them and a laminate floor above that. I don't think there is plywood to reinforce judging by the fact that I can wiggle the things in the room if I jump slightly... Safe for 75 if it's spanning across about 3-4 joists against the outside wall? Or over a central beam?

MVIMG_20200223_101020.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about mine... House built in 1941, bungalow, joists about 18-24" apart, with diagonal boards above them and a laminate floor above that. I don't think there is plywood to reinforce judging by the fact that I can wiggle the things in the room if I jump slightly... Safe for 75 if it's spanning across about 3-4 joists against the outside wall? Or over a central beam?

Does not sound like you have a really solid situation where you are at. I don’t think that construction was supposed to have that much wiggle room and hold a tank safely.

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a 400 gallon tank on the first floor of a new house. The builder consulted with engineers and put 3 lvl timbers below the tank the tie to the foundation wall and footings through beams and columns. So far the floor hasn't moved an inch.

20200220_194409.jpg

Sirspeedy77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the diagonal supports are to keep the joists from rolling over or torsion twisting . If they are 2x10 joists I personally would feel comfortable with 75 gallons. I Might second guess 125 and bigger though

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would have this checked by an engineer.
Wood decays over time, and 79 years is a long time.
No the tank may not fall through the floor, but it will not be as solid anymore. Thus allowing the tank to flex and crack.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back