At Wits End....SPS dying. NO2 and PO4 Low

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 ReefBrite strips on this system and 2 Kessils (Kessils are all tuned to blue, though). Unfortunately, there is no way (I know of) to control the ReefBrites. I can turn 1 off but as far as I know, I cannot ramp them up and down.

Thoughts?
You’re running an ALL blue spectrum all day?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's odd is everything was running fine over the summer until I turned the skimmer back on and replaced/removed media in the reactors. dKH was always in the range of 8.75-9.9. Then it spiked to the 10 range.

I would not use anything to rapidly lower your alk. I would let it fall on its own. (stop dosing until its fallen to where you want it - and then start again at lower levels)
I guess I wonder - why did you 'turn the skimmer off' and then 'back on' - and what media did you 'remove/replace' in 'what reactors'. Did you make too many changes too quickly (at that time) - that are now resulting in problems?

A tank that is 1.5 years old that was thriving - shoudl not be too 'young' to grow SPS - but changes like what happened above - may not be as well tolerated (as far as I see it).

Lastly - is it possible - that whatever you did (reactors/skimmer etc) caused your coral to slow its growth - which resulted in an increase in alkalinity. ?

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use anything to rapidly lower your alk. I would let it fall on its own. (stop dosing until its fallen to where you want it - and then start again at lower levels)
I guess I wonder - why did you 'turn the skimmer off' and then 'back on' - and what media did you 'remove/replace' in 'what reactors'. Did you make too many changes too quickly (at that time) - that are now resulting in problems?

A tank that is 1.5 years old that was thriving - shoudl not be too 'young' to grow SPS - but changes like what happened above - may not be as well tolerated (as far as I see it).

Lastly - is it possible - that whatever you did (reactors/skimmer etc) caused your coral to slow its growth - which resulted in an increase in alkalinity. ?

I've not dosed anything for months. So additions aren't an issue.

The skimmer was off since the pump had died. I got a new one, but was too lazy to replace it. When I added the 2 angelfish, I figured with all of the feeding I was doing to accommodate them, I should replace the pump and turn the skimmer back on. And, while I was at it, I would replace or remove the media in the reactors. One had GFO and the other Rox carbon. I did not replace the GFO, but I did replace the Rox.

I didn't think adding the skimmer back online or replacing the Rox (or removing the GFO) would affect the Alk.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've not dosed anything for months. So additions aren't an issue.

The skimmer was off since the pump had died. I got a new one, but was too lazy to replace it. When I added the 2 angelfish, I figured with all of the feeding I was doing to accommodate them, I should replace the pump and turn the skimmer back on. And, while I was at it, I would replace or remove the media in the reactors. One had GFO and the other Rox carbon. I did not replace the GFO, but I did replace the Rox.

I didn't think adding the skimmer back online or replacing the Rox (or removing the GFO) would affect the Alk.
But it might have affected the phosphorous - which in turn affects the growth of coral - which if slowed - will increase alk (assuming you're doing water changes - and depending on the alk of the replacement salt)

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it might have affected the phosphorous - which in turn affects the growth of coral - which if slowed - will increase alk (assuming you're doing water changes - and depending on the alk of the replacement salt)

Up to this point, I had not done a water change in months since all params looked fine. But perhaps if the PO4 was higher (than I was able to read on the SeaChem test kit; switched to Hanna ULR a few days ago) and then I took the old reactor media off line and added the skimmer, that further dropped the PO4 and gave me this issue. It's quite possible.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The ReefBrites are the 50/50 XHOs. Only the Kessils are running blue all day.
I'm not familiar with the RB XHO, I'm assuming theyre the LED supplements? Honestly, it could be this too (not just the higher alk). You might not be providing the correct spectrum and lights for them throughout the day. I feel like for LED users whites and daylight/full spectrum isn't used enough, that's just my thought though. To ME, there are three things that could be causing your issues 1) possibly the Alk issue 2) water contamination 3) lighting spectrum. Maybe I'm just wrong, keep us updated. Obviously your nutrient levels are good enough.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Up to this point, I had not done a water change in months since all params looked fine. But perhaps if the PO4 was higher (than I was able to read on the SeaChem test kit; switched to Hanna ULR a few days ago) and then I took the old reactor media off line and added the skimmer, that further dropped the PO4 and gave me this issue. It's quite possible.

Its just that 'usually' - alkalinity doesnt rise without a 'cause'. So - (im sure someone mentioned this already) - but - that is (IMO ( you said your alk was as high as 9.9 before) - 10.5 is not that big of a change to have 'caused the problems' - it is probably adjusting your media - I completely agree with others - that low nutrients and high Alk do not mix.

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just that 'usually' - alkalinity doesnt rise without a 'cause'. So - (im sure someone mentioned this already) - but - that is (IMO ( you said your alk was as high as 9.9 before) - 10.5 is not that big of a change to have 'caused the problems' - it is probably adjusting your media - I completely agree with others - that low nutrients and high Alk do not mix.

Thanks for the input. I truly value this community to come together to help solve a problem.

I checked the Alk again this morning and it has come down to 10.47. I added 2 long tentacle LPS last weekend (they're doing fantastic) but the Alk is slowly coming down; probably due to their consumption.

I'm almost willing to try adding more of that kind of LPS to help uptake the Alk and bring it down. Not sure what folks think of that but it would be a slow, natural drop.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input. I truly value this community to come together to help solve a problem.

I checked the Alk again this morning and it has come down to 10.47. I added 2 long tentacle LPS last weekend (they're doing fantastic) but the Alk is slowly coming down; probably due to their consumption.

I'm almost willing to try adding more of that kind of LPS to help uptake the Alk and bring it down. Not sure what folks think of that but it would be a slow, natural drop.
IMO - Correct

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - Im not 'expert' just from my own experience - and recent experience with alk - corals that look 'lighter' (not completely bone white) can recover.

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - Im not 'expert' just from my own experience - and recent experience with alk - corals that look 'lighter' (not completely bone white) can recover.

Yes, I have had that happen as well. That bright green encrusting monti on the left side of the tank at one point (in our former 180 gallon) looked totally dead. I saved it 'just in case' and I'm SO glad I did. It started to recover in my 28 gal anemone tank when we took down the 180 gallon and then I moved it into the 300 gal once it was ready. Clearly it's happily recovered since it's spreading all over the rocks. ;Joyful

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wonderful husband just took the ICP sample to the post office (should arrive on Monday). It will be nice to have details back.

Also, I just realized that when I titled this thread, I labeled it as NO2 instead of NO3. I have been sick the last few days and was posting this at work between meetings, so clearly not thinking straight. ;Nurse Good news is I am feeling better enough to have noticed that! ;Joyful

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back