Gorgonian growth:
_MG_0999.jpg

_MG_1251.jpg

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, tank looks awesome. What is your trick to keeping them so happy?

OP
OP
R

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some equipment. This system, which has a total volume of about 155 gallons, has the bioload of a 1000+ gallon system.

Old Reliable: My ATB Medium Skimmer with Airstar 1300

DSC03250.jpg

Been running 3 years practically non-stop and always producing nasty skimmate. Its like a well tuned ferrari (but not so finicky haha)

There are 3 tanks connected to this system. This is the common sump.
DSC03251.jpg

It houses the skimmer, 2 ATB Flowstar pumps, an ozone reactor and an ATB media reactor.

The electrical control center
DSC03249.jpg

Ozone
IMG_0006.jpg

Continuous Feeding
IMG_1003.jpg

Pics of the seagrass tank connected to this system coming this weekend hopefully!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is one of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen!! We would be honored to have you as a future Reef Spotlight if you would do us the honor!

OP
OP
R

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current issues:

High nitrates and phosphates - not a surprise
Aiptasia - planning to add berghia nudibranchs and aiptasia eating filefish this week

Also, currently running 1.5L of SeaSlug Phosballs. This is a video of when I just set it up. I'm slowly adding more should get to 2+L next month or so.
YouTube - biopellets 01

OP
OP
R

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen!! We would be honored to have you as a future Reef Spotlight if you would do us the honor!

Sure! My schedule is a bit unpredictable these days, so I need a lot of time though :) I'd be honored to do you guys the honor!

OP
OP
R

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Wow, tank looks awesome. What is your trick to keeping them so happy?

No tricks. Continuous feeding, continuous water changes, aggressive filtration. I have a seagrass fuge with a deep sand/mud bed that drives the corals nuts when I stir up the top layer.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man your tank puts a lot of people full blow "reef" tanks to shame. The corals look awesome. So many people are in love with the colorful sticks they forget what else is out there. Granted the filtration on that thing is massive but you saved on lights....lol

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you still do any manual target feeding? Or do they pick everything up from the water column via auto dosing?

Also what about flow? Do the NPS corals prefer lower gentler flows?

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inspiring tank! Beautiful everything just beautiful! Great photography! I love rimless tanks like yours :) Its always great to see these challenging species grown but you do it with style! Please more photos :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know squat about those tanks please fill me in on the 155 gal equals a 1000gal bioload how does that work???? Do you continuously feed the tank like 24hrs a day or something?????

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen your tank before somewhere else and I was in awe. I think a well maintained, mature NPS tank is the most beautiful reef tank of all. I'd love to try one, but it's so intimidating to me.

OP
OP
R

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still do any manual target feeding? Or do they pick everything up from the water column via auto dosing?

Also what about flow? Do the NPS corals prefer lower gentler flows?

Yes, I feed the fish and many of the corals Roggers frozen food that I run through a cheese grater into tiny bits. Usually twice a day, sometimes I skip a day or two.

NPS corals usually prefer strong laminar flow. Many can handle more flow than SPS can handle. I try to create a gyre type of flow in the tank that reverses direction every minute. I'd like it to flow in one direction longer but the vortech is limited in that aspect.

I don't know squat about those tanks please fill me in on the 155 gal equals a 1000gal bioload how does that work???? Do you continuously feed the tank like 24hrs a day or something?????

It was just a figure of speech more than an actual figure. But, if I had to estimate - the tank is automatically fed 50 mL of food mix including cyclopeeze, ova, rotifers, baby brine shrimp, fauna marin products and Corals Captive-E once every hour for 20 hours/day. Plus I manually feed twice a day. So 22 times a day compared to the average "low nutrient" reef that is fed maybe once or twice a day.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back