ATI Essentials Dosing Question

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by MikeO5422, Mar 12, 2018.

1. MikeO5422

MikeO5422 Active Member

I have been dosing ATI essentials for some time. This is my first dosing experience, so it took me a while to get everything right. Anyway, calcium is steady at 420ish, alk is steady at 8, magnesium is around 1400. The issue is that my magnesium doesn't drop much. I have two magnesium test kits and both show the readings rarely fall, so i rarely dose the #3. I dose 10ml of #3 once a week. In contrast, I dose 104ml of calcium (#2) solution every day.

I am thinking that this means I am missing out on a lot of trace elements as you are supposed to dose stuff equally. I have done two ICP tests and in both tests the trace elements were zero or way too low. Magnesium, however, was fine. Now I just do water changes every two weeks to replenish trace elements.

I am wondering what ATI would recommend in this situation? I don't want to dose too much #3 and raise my magnesium too high. But I am clearly not getting the trace elements I am supposed to have.

I will also note that I am running GFO and carbon, which I recently learned is against the ATI recommendation to have running constantly. I am not sure if that plays a role in trace element depletion.

P.S. ATI's ICP web interface is awesome, nice job!

Tags:

2. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Did you try dosing equal amounts of the #3 to see if it raised your Mag? I run my Mag around 1440 and dose equal amounts of #2 and #3, Mag does not raise at all on weekly testing. I'm sure it's diluted to a ratio that is inline with any other 2 part and ony adds a very minimal amount of Mag (in ratio to Alk and Calcium) and is mostly trace elements.

Pelagic One likes this.
  3. MikeO5422

MikeO5422 Active Member

I actually did not...I just kind of assumed I didn't want to raise my magnesium any higher. I will do some tests.

4. Niterunner77

Niterunner77 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Any updates with your testing?

5. MikeO5422

MikeO5422 Active Member

I've slowly increased the dosage and it has had little to no impact on mag. That's great news! I'm still nowhere near the amount I should be dosing though. Getting there....just very cautious.

J3ff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted