ATI Essentials white bacteria/slime build up in pipes?

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by Finhead, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I've been dosing the ATI Essentials for 2 months now, that's the soonest I could get it here in Canada. Growth and coloring in corals has been fantasitc but I am getting what I assume is a bacteria build up on the return pump/pipes and the drain pipes. It builds up within 2-3 weeks and starts letting loose into the display tank when the return is shut off and back on for feeding.
    The only thing I am dosing is the ATI Essentials, I feed one time a day and use Amino Acids at 1/2 the amount listed every 2 days.
    I checked my dosing containers today to see if it was present in any of the solution and it looks to be coming from the #1 Alk mix, #2 and #3 are perfectly clear still. This was only mixed 16 days ago with fresh made 0 TDS RODI water.

Anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tags:

2. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hello Finhead,

A few questions, what was in these containers prior to use with ATI Essentials? Do you add Amino acids to this solution or dose them separate?

There are no sugars, nitrogen or phosphorus to support life in Essentials, so there must be some other contaminant or this is no bacteria at all.

It appears they are soda bottles, so it is likely the result of residual sugars from the soda.

3. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

They were brand new off the shelf bought the day of, rinsed with heated RODI water and converted to Dosing containers. They are a food grade plasitc container so that is what I used, no chance of contamination with these.

I use a syringe to dose AA's every second day when feeding, I use 5ml of Acropower which approx 40% of the min doseage the say on the bottle. So very very low dose of AA's.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

@ATI North America no other thoughts on what this might be in the #1 solution? I am down to 2 days for dosing, need to mix new or switch over to reg 2 part and avoid if no other thoughts.

5. ATI North America

I believe it to be some kind of contamination. Either some sugars of some kind, or perhaps there is some #2 that contaminated it and caused the calcium to precipitate (I am not a chemist, but it is plausible).

I would recommend giving it another try, give the vessel, tubing etc a good rinse in RODI and mix again. I think you will be fine. Hundreds of people are using Essentials without this issue which makes it incredibly likely there was somehow some contamination.

6. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Ok thanks will try but I cannot see how it would have been contaminated. I have 3 separate mixxing containers (food grade never used before mixing the ATI ES) and the three dosing contaiers which were also brand new. Topped off closed up and stored in the stand.

7. ATI North America

Sorry I don't have more insight, I really don't know. Perhaps you can take a few tablespoons out and put it in a window to see if it continues to grow more. This might help determine if its bacterial or precipitation.

Finhead likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted