ATI Essentials

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by reef / aholic, Jul 27, 2017.

1. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Correct however it is both Carbonates and biCarbonates mixed.

2. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Right but it's still only the Alkalinity part and nothing else, this is good information as it gives options for the #1 part to give a PH boost rather then not as this does. Thanks. :)

3. ATI North America

If you were going to do this you could bake it in the oven before mixing it (take it out of the bottle first ;)) but I would not recommend it since that is not how the product is designed. If you battle pH problems you should address the CO2 issue rather than use a bandaid with chemicals in my opinion.

4. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Yes I went through this already, a co2 scrubber works really well. But the cost of running it is not a option. For the price of Sodalime here in Canada and the rate at which it is exhausted it would cost a min of $60 a month. Changing to a higher PH 2 part like the one Randy has in the chem section would be far cheaper and just replace one of the 3 parts of the Essentials which will lower the cost of running as well. Win win. :)

5. ATI North America

If you bake bicarbonate it turns into carbonate without changing the effect on alkalinity. Rather than trying to dovetail 2 systems together you can simply bake the Essentials part 1 in the oven thereby converting bicarbonate into carbonate which will then impact your pH a great deal. IMO this would be a lot simpler and fool proof vs trying to balance the proper ratio of alk to calcium between 2 systems.

6. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Yes I went through this already, a co2 scrubber works really well. But the cost of running it is not a option. For the price of Sodalime here in Canada and the rate at which it is exhausted it would cost a min of $60 a month. Changing to a higher PH 2 part like the one Randy has in the chem section would be far cheaper and just replace one of the 3 parts of the Essentials which will lower the cost of running as well. Win win. :)
    I would do that except it's already fully mixed, going by the online calculator for Randys 2 part it should be almost exactly the same amount added. I calculated it out to within 3ml a day, I assume it will be exactly the same in acutal use. Easy enough to find out.

7. Black Pearl

Black Pearl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

How about Kalkwasser to help with PH would that be contraindicated?

8. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I switched from a Kalk Stirrer to AE, it would not allow for much of a supliment with Kalk running. I do have far better results so far with the AE but I would like to have the PH raising effect if it's there to use rather than not.

9. paphater

paphater Active Member

I think things would get really complicated running both. I'd try a fuge running on the opposite light cycle first.

10. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

What is your ph

11. ATI North America

Hypothetically the kalk would create a lower demand for ATI Essentials which would in turn deplete the trace elements that are included in ATI Essentials that are not in Kalk.

Keep in mind kalk is very dirty (high levels of contamination and impurities) as well as a lot more risky. Many tanks have been nuked from kalk overdose.

bpn and Black Pearl like this.
  12. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I drops down to 7.65 ish at night and peaks at 7.8 for hour at night and drops back down pretty rapid. I know why it does this and I know what can be done if I want to spend the $60 a month to do so (co2 scrubber), just cheaper (free) methods to get the same end results.

13. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I ran my last tank with Kalk for 2 years with Zero issues. For this tank it doesn't provide enough Alk and calcium by itself, and I agree no point running the ATI Essentials if it's only going to suppliment 20% of what your tank need for trace etc.

14. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

7.8 is not that bad. You ever think about running a fresh air line for your skimmer it will raise the pH up a little bit and it's pretty cheap to do.

15. paphater

paphater Active Member

A fuge can be done for pretty cheap. If space is an issue you can look at a cheato reactor.

16. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Agreed 7.8 is not my issue it's the 7.65 at night. Already have 1" PVC ran from outside to within a foot of he skimmer then 3/8" silicone to the skimmer from there. Hardly helped at all but I still have it ran since it's there.

17. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Tired a fudge with cheato, I have lots of space in my sump. It lasted about 2 weeks and fell apart withered away and died, never had luck with Cheato or a fuge of any kind. And I was using a proper red spectrume grow light with it, simply not enough nutriens to grow in my system as far as I can test.

Trust me guys I've tried all the fixes, non have worked for me. The free bump with baked baking soda will be a fine fix since it will not mess with any of the trace elements that the ATI adds since I will continue with the #2 and #3.

Black Pearl likes this.
  18. ATI North America

Perhaps low iron in addition to lacking nutrients?

Baking soda is not a good choice if you are trying to raise pH because it's PK value is considerably lower than washing soda. This takes me back to baking Essentials 1 (which I know its too late for your current batch) which would convert bicarbonates into carbonates which would raise the pH considerably.

If you are doing it to bump pH, bake your baking soda first.

19. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Yes no my first rodeo. ;) I've been into reefing on and off for 20 years.
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/#5

20. monkiboy

monkiboy Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted