ATI Essentials

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by reef / aholic, Jul 27, 2017.

1. reefwreck

reefwreck Active Member

ati salt not available in US ill try blue lid next water change

2. ReefHog

ReefHog Member

I've been following along and have to question the comparison some have with ATI Essentials and the Triton Method . The way it appears to me is that ATI Essentials more of an improved 2=part program rather than a complete reef management system like the Triton Method appears to be. The Triton Method has very specific requirements from water flow to sump configuration to what supplementary filters or reactors can be used and more. ATI Essentials seems more of a supplement management system leaving the aquarist responsible for nutrient management. I'm not suggesting that it incomplete or a bad thing. In fact, in most cases it would be much more desirable and way less interruptive to implement the ATI Essentials program into an existing set up and seems way more complete and thought out than the a typical 2-part program.

Pelagic One likes this.
  3. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Member 2019

Have you given it a try ReefHog?

4. ReefHog

ReefHog Member

I have not. I have not tried Triton either and most likely won't go that route. Like I said, I am in no way bashing Essentials. Didn't know much about it until recently. It looks like a great product but I'm not sure how it differs from Aqua Forest or (what I have been using) TM Balling salts. I did order an ATI ICP water analysis kit as I am curious where my parameters are using TM Balling salts.

5. Dj City

Dj City Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Question...

I am currently running Triton core7 using 14ml per day on a roughly 110gal volume mixed reef.
    I like Triton but I'm tired of not being able to buy due to no stock, leaking containers and high price.
    That had me seriously looking at ATI Essentials.

My concern is the dose and storage of product.
    I currently use 4 voss water bottles as dosing containers and they are doing pretty well. I refill then about once a month give or take.

With what I'm reading about ATI Essentials, I would need waaaaaaay larger dosing containers and large buckets to store product that can't for into the dosing containers.
    Also, it seems that I would go from 14ml per day to somewhere around 100ml per day with ATI.

School me on this.
    How much ATI Essentials would I be dosing per day?
    How large should my dosing containers be?
    Will I need 5gal buckets to store the product?

6. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Not knowing the calculation for Triton dosing it's hard to say, easier way is to tell us how much Alk is used by your tank daily.

7. Dj City

I don't know.
    I just try to keep it steady. I tested at 7.7dkh today and I'm expecting it to be around 7.4 or 7.3 tomorrow by the time I get home from work.
    I have been upping the dose of Triton to try to reach 8dkh and keep it there.
    After tomorrows test, I'm probably going to up the dose to 15 or 16ml per day dependant on the results of the test.

8. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

I ran across a thread on a quick Google search seems to work out to every 2ML you dose works out to .1 DKH per 100Gal so your at around .64 DKH a day . Which you are right in the ballpark on your post, 100ML of each #1#2#3 ATI a day. I started using Randy's DIY recpie #1 which is half the volume of dosing of the ATI #1 and give a PH boost as well which is what I was after. The ATI #1 has nothing but Alk in it so it doesn't effect the trace elements dose.

9. Dj City

Thank you.
    Wow! 100ml per day is a lot! An awful lot.
    I'm thinking this would get expensive Kinda fast because even though the price is lower than Triton, you are using waaaaaaaaaaay more. And you need much larger dosing containers. At 100ml per day, I might as well be dosing by hand because I would be refilling the dosing containers every few days.

If I were to switch to ATI, I would need to concentrate the product so I could use my dosing containers.
    I would not want to dose more than 20ml a day at the most. I would be happy at dosing 15ml a day.

Are there any dangers of concentrating the product that much?

10. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Why wouldn't you want to dose more than 20ml a day? Lots of people dose 2 part in far greater amounts, I am currently dosing 50ml a day of the #2 and #3.

But thinking about it the #2 and #3 are in concentrated liquid form when you get it 1lt so I assume other than you have far less margine for error you could run it in a less diluted form. The #1 is powder and it seems to be on the edge of fully dissolving in the standard 1lt-9lt water. Like I say you could use the DIY Alk and cut the dose in half since it's 2X as strong, would still be around 50ml a day for your system based on your inital post.

11. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

If your using 14ml now and 100ml with ati comes to ~7x less concentrated.

Ati 1000ml comes to $35.95
    Or .36 a day.

Triton
    $52.00 Or .73 a day.

At least if i did the math right. I wouldnt say either are inexpensive options.

12. Dj City

I'm using 14ml daily of Triton.
    Looks like I would be using about 100ml daily of ATI.

That's a very big difference.

I don't have the space to put containers that large.
    That's why I was looking to concentrate it much more so I could dose in roughly the sane amount as I dose Triton.

13. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Member 2019

Hello Folks,
    Let me try to address some of the concerns here.

Regarding concentration, you certainly can run #2&3 at any concentration you wish, even right out of the bottle however we would not recommend it. You can also mix up just 100ml at a time or whatever volume you wish. The ratio remains the same, for example if you want to fill a 100ml reservoir, you can use 10ml of Essentials and 90ml RODI.

The alkalinity which is bottle #1 is a powder that requires at least 8L of water to dissolve. You can however mix a partial batch if that is easier so you don't have to store all 10L of product.

Mrx7899 likes this.
  14. Dj City

Thank you for your reply.

I was trying to avoid having to dose 100ml per day.
    I was hoping I could concentrate it to a point where I could dose about 15 to 20ml per day of all 3 instead of 100ml per day.

My dosing containers are not large enough and I don't have room to make them large enough.
    Dosing 100ml per day, I would be refilling my containers every week or so. I would have buckets of product on standby.
    I would need an ATO to top off my dosing containers.

Are their any plans to make a more concentrated product where one might be able to dose less? (Similar to Triton dosing)

15. jorahx

jorahx Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

how well does ATI essentials work with nano tanks?

16. ATI North America

It should work great! However often nano owners choose a nano for the cost and space required for a bit tank and Essentials does require a dosing pump which requires both. If cost is not an issue it is a great solution for the tank.

17. jmags080307

jmags080307 Active Member NJRC Member

@ATI North America getting ready to start the ATI Essentials program. my tank uses 0.2 KH a day. in the manual it says to dose 36ML per 1.0KH per 100 liters. my tank is 50 gallons so based on the above i should be dosing roughly 14 ML's a day of #'s 1, 2 and 3. Is that correct?
    thanks,

18. jorahx

jorahx Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I did the math and for my nuvo 20 it says dose 1ml a day.

19. ATI North America

50gal = ~200L (192 to be exact)
    36ml = .5dKH (since we are doubling the water volume)
    (.2/.5)36 = 14.4

YEP! I think you are correct.

20. mrhankuk

mrhankuk Member

Have a 29g Biocube and I struggle getting my parameters consistent. Running heavy on SPS, some LPS and softies. Can't get my Alk below 13.6, Ca - 450, Mg-1480. Ready to pull the trigger on ATI Essentials to get my parameters in check. Been dropping in 1 drop of Iodine/week as recommended by LFS. All other parameters are spot on -- except of that crazy Alk.

I'm running an Apex but don't have a dosing pump or any containers so looking for guidance on what I should purchase to get started.
    Thanks - Mark

Draft saved Draft deleted