ATI Essentials

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by reef / aholic, Jul 27, 2017.

1. truepercs

truepercs Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Thank you... for answering my question regarding the possibility of mixing parts.

Ed

2. Reef Quest

Reef Quest Member

A beautiful small ATI Essentials run aquarium, i think you'll all agree.

20170613_124813.jpg

20170613_181418.jpg

Pelagic One and SaracensRugby like this.
  3. paphater

paphater Well-Known Member

First sample sent today!

Reef Quest likes this.
  4. mwilk19

mwilk19 Active Member

I received the results of my first PCI test under ATI Essentials. Everything was good except my iodine was low. The recommendation was 2 doses of iodine at .9ml each. I bought the ATI iodine supplement and dosed as instructed. There is no reliable iodine test available, so how do you know if that raised the level to where it should be?

Reef Quest likes this.
  5. Reef Quest

Reef Quest Member

Unlike other tests available the ATI ICP tests you're salinity and all set points are based on this. So the recommendation of Iodine is to get you to that set point. By carrying out another ATI ICP-OES test in say one months time you'll be able to see your own aquariums consumption of iodine to then start dosing on a regular basis to maintain the Iodine at near to set point on your subsequent ICP tests.
    For example I've worked out that on my 2000 litre ATI Essentials run aquarium i require 4ml per week to keep the iodine at near set point on each subsequent ICP test.

6. mwilk19

mwilk19 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I figured that was what I would have to do.

Reef Quest likes this.
  7. Fence13

Fence13 Over Thinker Extraordinaire R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor CIRS Member

How come no one actually answered the Algae scrubber question a page or two back? Any thoughts on if that would cause issues with the system?

8. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Go for it! It should be just fine as a nutrient export.

SaracensRugby and Fence13 like this.
  9. Fence13

Fence13 Over Thinker Extraordinaire R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor CIRS Member

Do you recommend feeding corals while on essentials? Or is that more dependent upon what type of system you run?

SaracensRugby likes this.
  10. ATI North America

Feed them Sunlight with an ATI Sunpower or Powermodule ;)

ATI Essentials is an elemental product, there are no foods, aminos, vitamins or other nutrition. Our product provides 28 different minerals needed for coral growth. Coupled with high quality lighting there really isn't much need for foods.

Pelagic One likes this.
  11. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Valuable Member

I am about to be out with my BRS 2 part, so I am thinking of trying this out for the however long the 10 liters will last me.

If I am dosing 100 ml currently of BRS 2 part should I start with the same amount of this or what should I start with?

12. ATI North America

Cody I have no experience with the strength of BRS 2 part, do you know anything about the concentration? I will see if I can find some data and do a comparison.

13. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Valuable Member

Honestly, I have no idea. I just followed the instructions haha

14. ATI North America

I don't see the instructions on the site (I did not dig real hard though either). If you have them handy can you send them over?

15. SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby Member Build Thread Contributor

So I am really thinking about switching to the Triton or Essentials method here, and trying to understand each more completely. How long have Essentials been used in Europe? What would you say are the main benefits over Triton, outside of dilution of dosing? If I have read correctly you don't need a refugium with Essentials, why is that? What do you expect to be the main exporter of excess nutrients, a skimmer? Just trying to better understand as this is very interesting, sorry for noob questions.

Orse and Fritzhamer like this.
  16. Fritzhamer

Fritzhamer Well-Known Member

I currently use the BRS two part which is mixed in gallon containers. The ATI essentials 500ml mixes to 1.5 gallons (5 liters). Finding watertight 1.5 gallon containers to mix this in is proving not as easy as I had thought. Can this be mixed to roughly 3758 ml (1 gallon) instead of to 5000ml (1.5 gallon)? Dosing adjusted accordingly of course to compensate for less dilution.

17. Staggs

Staggs Active Member

Check out Amazon, originally I went with some buckets at home depot but before I used them I found some nice 2.5G/10L hpde jugs on Amazon.
    you may be able to find some 1.5g jugs

18. ATI North America

Our system is far easier and more simple. Our product no where near as complex to figure out what and how to do it. You simply mix and dose the solutions, dose equal parts, and either raise or lower the amount based on your alkalinity. That's it for day to day use of the system. Then periodically you do an ATI Labs test and make small adjustments as noted on the results by our PhD Ben Funk.

Essentials has a better value, meaning once all aspects considered it does not require as much money to use the system. Obviously your actual cost will vary based on tank size and demand, but will cost less.

Essentials does not require a refugium or algae bed. While you are welcomed to use one it is not a requirement of the system.

ATI has been selling Essentials in Europe for 2.5 years.

I personally use a small pump for the number 1 since its a powder. For the #2-3 which are liquids I just give it a stir. I don't think shaking in a closed container is necessary. You can certainly mix it into any quantity you like so long as you can measure the fluids accurately. Just make sure it is 1:9, so for your example you would use a measuring cup to measure out 375ml and top up your 1gal with RODI. Keep in mind if you fill it all the way it won't shake very well.

You have a link? I'd like to see these.

19. Staggs

Staggs Active Member

20. SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby Member Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for the info. Based on rough math it looks like I would have to dose quite a bit more than I currently do for my mixed tank using BRS 2 part. I currently does about 18mL of ALK and Calcium per day for my 60 cube. But looking to upgrade to a 125, and roughly estimate based upon similar tank needs I would need to dose 125ml per day; doesn't that get expensive per month, I would need to buy new Essentials every other month give or take if I did my math correct. How often are people having to buy new Essentials versus BRS 2 part prior to? Results look amazing!

My math was as follows, roughly 5600ml in 1.5 gallon, dosing 125ml per day. Etc etc. etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted