ATI Fiji white sand keeping high Calcium and Magnesium levels?

Sorbi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, has anyone ever experienced constantly high levels of Calcium and Magnesium while using ATI Fiji white sand? It is a nice sand, however, according to the manufacturer:
”Our sand is 99.6% pure calcium and magnesium compounds”.
So I need to dose alkalinity to keep it about 9.3 dKH in a mixed reef tank. Calcium is always about 490-500, Magnesium 1410.

Any experience/idea? Thanks.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I doubt the sand adds any calcium or magnesium to the water.
They also say that it needs to be rinsed several times. If there were any chemicals added then I would think that alone would remove it.

OP
OP
S

Sorbi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the sand adds any calcium or magnesium to the water.
They also say that it needs to be rinsed several times. If there were any chemicals added then I would think that alone would remove it.
Thanks, any other idea why my Calcium and Magnesium keep having high concentration without dosing?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, any other idea why my Calcium and Magnesium keep having high concentration without dosing?
2 things come to mind.
Testing errors or faulty test kits, or just high numbers in the salt mix.

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same sand and don't have that problem. Cal 400, mag 1300.
I do believe it did suck most of the phosphate out of the water when I added it to my running tank.

OP
OP
S

Sorbi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts. I used 3 different brands of the tests (Salifert, AquaForest, Tropic Marine), all very similar results. Then testef two different reference solutions with the same tests: the results were almost identical to the ones stated on the reference solution. My salt mix (tropic marine pro reef) has lower calcium than the tank. I am really confused with these levels of Ca and Mg

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having the theory’s about crushed coral gravel and alk , calcium , magnesium numbers . But you haven’t used reef crystals salt mix ? Me and other members have had batches with rediculus high magnesium. I used it because it was available quickly, and regret it.

OP
OP
S

Sorbi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having the theory’s about crushed coral gravel and alk , calcium , magnesium numbers . But you haven’t used reef crystals salt mix ? Me and other members have had batches with rediculus high magnesium. I used it because it was available quickly, and regret it.
No, I haven’t used reef crystals mix

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, has anyone ever experienced constantly high levels of Calcium and Magnesium while using ATI Fiji white sand? It is a nice sand, however, according to the manufacturer:
So I need to dose alkalinity to keep it about 9.3 dKH in a mixed reef tank. Calcium is always about 490-500, Magnesium 1410.

No, it is your salt mix that is doing that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same sand and don't have that problem. Cal 400, mag 1300.
I do believe it did suck most of the phosphate out of the water when I added it to my running tank.

All calcium carbonate will bind phosphate. It won't release large amounts of calcium or alkalinity (it cannot, and if it somehow did, a rise of 20 ppm calcium will boost alk by 2.8 dKH, which would quickly push alk through the roof for any significant calcium or magnesium boost.

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check this video.

this video talks about the differences between artificial sand and sand from the sea.
Ati fiji sand - is sand not from the ocean/sea.

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this video. (IF you speak German!!)

this video talks about the differences between synthetic sand and natural sand from the sea.
Ati fiji sand - is not natural sand from the ocean.

There, fixed that for ya! ;)

Lol, what I took from the video was that artificial sand is dusty and natural less so, and that beakers come in really BIG sizes!! :D

Perhaps a German speaking member can post a synopsis?

Dennis

OP
OP
S

Sorbi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks, this video is really great and explains what I experienced. BTW, my issues were all fixed after removal of all ATI Fiji sand, now bare-bottom tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back