ATI ICP test results after snail deaths, frag deaths and tons of GHA

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
After I kept losing frags, snails and have GHA growing like hell in my tank I decided to send some water samples to ATI for an ICP test.

(edit) general info: 32g AIO tank, skimmerless with sump/fuge and DIY PVC overflow (TIN?). Cycled first 9 months ago.

Could someone help me interpreting the results?
In general everything seems kinda ok, aside from some Tin (Sn) higher than normal and Silica probably being the reason of the algae problem in my tank (I guess).
The rest seems fine. I have some iodine deficit but I am reading that it is quite common. Not sure if I should do something in particular, aside from 3 20% water change.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• DT water.pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 42
  • RODI water.pdf
    128.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG is high, when you get that to the right level all else slides down also.
Copper! Where did that come from? That your adding from rodi.

I'm sure randy will have some input.
Probably copper comes from rusty pipes in the building. It is interesting that no copper can be detected in the tank. I guess macros are feasting with it..

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
After I kept losing frags, snails and have GHA growing like hell in my tank I decided to send some water samples to ATI for an ICP test.

(edit) general info: 32g AIO tank, skimmerless with sump/fuge and DIY PVC overflow (TIN?). Cycled first 9 months ago.

In general everything seems kinda ok, aside from some Tin (Sn) higher than normal and Silica probably being the reason of the algae problem in my tank (I guess).
The rest seems fine. I have some iodine deficit but I am reading that it is quite common. Not sure if I should do something in particular, aside from 3 20% water change.

Anyone has idea whether I should do something with iodine levels and silicate?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has idea whether I should do something with iodine levels and silicate?
Hi all,

UP

Can someone see from such results the cause of GHA growth and frag deaths? Or should I keep the water like it is now and concentrate on other issues?
If the water parameters are OKish I could try to make nutrients more stable by getting a small skimmer. I am not sure how much they fluctuate though, usually I check in the weekends and they seem quite consistent (NO3 usually being below 5ppm and PO4 almost undetectable).
Light should be ok I guess, I use a viparspectra led box as many others. Flow as well should be ok, I have a setting similar to many other succesfull reefers.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference to my GHA and frag/snail deaths problems:
Recent thread on what's going wrong

The only issue I found was salinity that was much higher than normal because of a faulty hydrometer (>40ppt). The new refractometer I purchased seems more reliable (37ppt from ICP against 36 ppt with the refractometer)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back