Ati icp test results in. IMO don’t look so bad so why are most my corals deflated not happy starting to show skeleton.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s next to a dead hulk chalice and candy corn favia. It’s been there for 2 months and this rtn happend in past 3-4 da s
Strange, it seems like you may have other things going on in there. Have you had any temp swings in the last few weeks? I had issues when my heater failed on and the tank got up to 85⁰ and apart from everything looking very annoyed I didnt see any Ill effects for about a week or so.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this area it’s all chalice frags and none of them doing good either. I’d assume chemical warfare would effect the whole tank and obviously not be found in icp test smh

image.jpg
The icp test would not find chemical warfare.
Different corals are differently affected.
Nothing bothers the ricordeas except contact stings.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this area it’s all chalice frags and none of them doing good either. I’d assume chemical warfare would effect the whole tank and obviously not be found in icp test smh

image.jpg
I'd take a look a couple hours after lights out with a red torch and see what's sending out sweepers.
Chemical warfare as far as I'm aware cant be tested for.
How long are you lighting the tank for?

You say you have a frag tank aswel, how are corals in there doing?

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you dose nitrates. What exactly are your dosing? How exactly are you mineralizing your tank? I will probably follow on with this question so I will ask it now ... how is your water change schedule? Please not the schedule that you want to change at but the schedule you actually change at.

I feel your frustration. :(
Yes I use loudwolf sodium nitrate. I mix whole bottle I think like 113 grams with 500ml of water and dose 15-20 ml a day to keep about 12-25 nitrate.
I have been dosing brs 2 part for over a year and just recently after slowing down on the water changes started to use the tropic Marin balling method with the brs 2 part. I think thats what you mean by mineralizing?
For 6 months straight water changes was 30 gallons Every other week in my 250 gallon system so like 10% every other week. But then after things not doing well either way I gradually went to 1x a month now only like 1x every 4-6 weeks. Was just feeling it was a waste and not doing anything..So knowing minerals need replenishing I’m trying thE tropic Marin balling thing.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
All of those chalices could be fighting each other to some point. From what I have read, you don't want different types too close together as they can send sweepers upto 4 inches from my quick search of the net. This could cause different corals to release toxins to fight back if too close.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take a look a couple hours after lights out with a red torch and see what's sending out sweepers.
Chemical warfare as far as I'm aware cant be tested for.
How long are you lighting the tank for?

You say you have a frag tank aswel, how are corals in there doing?
I look at my tank all day and night few weeks ago had some corals that had sweepers only couple of them but only like 1-2 inch long other then that never.
Lights are on from 10am till 9 pm
Frag tank is worse

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those chalices could be fighting each other to some point. From what I have read, you don't want different types too close together as they can send sweepers upto 4 inches from my quick search of the net. This could cause different corals to release toxins to fight back if too close.
Yes I would agree if I ever seen a sweeper from any of them. I don’t even see a response at feeding time

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit out of my depth to pin point what the exact issue is. So I will leave you with the professionals and hope you get it solved soon. My fingers are crossed for you. I know it's hard watching thing slowly perish and you don't know the cause. But hopefully you can turn it around sort the issue, and with those amazing coral frags you have grow them out and them pay you back for the heart/head ache your going through now.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe assume chemical warfare and get some polyfilter and or gac.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit out of my depth to pin point what the exact issue is. So I will leave you with the professionals and hope you get it solved soon. My fingers are crossed for you. I know it's hard watching thing slowly perish and you don't know the cause. But hopefully you can turn it around sort the issue, and with those amazing coral frags you have grow them out and them pay you back for the heart/head ache your going through now.
Thanks I hope so too

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen a case of chemical warfare that did not involve even 1 coral physicaly killing another With it sweepers Just seems strange to me.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIN

If there is tin there are many sources for it, galvanised products, solder etc, but also makes me wonder if there is Sn, what other metals are present in abnormal analysis numbers.
So have you seen tin at this level cause issue like this ? Is it something I should Spend my time and energy to look into ?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats what you mean by mineralizing?
Yes.

But then after things not doing well either way I gradually went to 1x a month now only like 1x every 4-6 weeks.
Ouch.

I think that you are not dealing with your mineralization correctly. I also think that you are not understanding what you are dosing.

First off base understanding when you dose something, you are actually dosing two things. The thing that you are dosing and then the oppositely charged complement. So if you are dosing nitrate you are also adding sodium. I think you may get the two part, but just know that sodium has a balance too. That is perhaps why you went to Balling. When I look for things to dose I like to choose things I can measure and that I know are tolerated if the balance changes. Sodium is such an unknown I avoid it like the plague. I use calcium nitrate to dose nitrates.

Ok, you have not been dosing Balling for a long time. That means your balance is WAY off and you haven't had water changes to get things back to normal. You are going to need to balance things out with lots of large water changes (or lots of little ones). This will take time and is going to tick your corals off more because you are changing things again, but you have to go through this process. Just be persistant and stay with it. Your dosing needs to be done is specific way ...

Balling is the better way to dose BUT you have to dose it correctly. You dose the exact way that Tropic Marin says so that you get equal parts of Sodium and Chloride. This is so that they are balanced with each other and then balanced with the Trace elements. You can NOT pick and choose what you dose, so if your alk is down you do NOT dose more alk. This breaks the method. I briefly used this method and found that your doser has to be very accurate to do it. I used Apex DOSs and found them to be wanting. I am now using the GHL doser and I think that once dialed in it can be accurate enough. One last thing on Balling, if you are doing it right your specific gravity should go up. This is an important feed back mechanism. If you don't see the specfic gravity going up you are doing it wrong.

I think this goes without saying stop buying expensive coral packs :p Hopefully a large percentage of your corals will make it through the re-adjust. Leave them alone and ensure that you have a handle on growth. When you start to get in the 5" range of growth then you can start picking up some more, but otherwise I wouldn't purchase any more. Otherwise you can just send your money to me because that is more productive than flushing it down the toilet. :p

It will take about 3-4 months if all goes well for you to set this ship straight. This is the problem with big tanks, they take a long time to push out of whack, but when you do it seems like forever to get them back in line. Hence my love for small tanks. :)

One last thing. Once you get some stability, buy some small pieces of live rock. You don't need very much and possibly you could coerce your LFS (if they are good) to sell you some small pieces from their display, or even if you live next to the ocean get some sand or small rocks. Try to beef up your biodiversity.

Once you get this down you will wonder why it was so hard. :p

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

def look into it, but also may prove to be a combination of factors

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

Ouch.

I think that you are not dealing with your mineralization correctly. I also think that you are not understanding what you are dosing.

First off base understanding when you dose something, you are actually dosing two things. The thing that you are dosing and then the oppositely charged complement. So if you are dosing nitrate you are also adding sodium. I think you may get the two part, but just know that sodium has a balance too. That is perhaps why you went to Balling. When I look for things to dose I like to choose things I can measure and that I know are tolerated if the balance changes. Sodium is such an unknown I avoid it like the plague. I use calcium nitrate to dose nitrates.

Ok, you have not been dosing Balling for a long time. That means your balance is WAY off and you haven't had water changes to get things back to normal. You are going to need to balance things out with lots of large water changes (or lots of little ones). This will take time and is going to tick your corals off more because you are changing things again, but you have to go through this process. Just be persistant and stay with it. Your dosing needs to be done is specific way ...

Balling is the better way to dose BUT you have to dose it correctly. You dose the exact way that Tropic Marin says so that you get equal parts of Sodium and Chloride. This is so that they are balanced with each other and then balanced with the Trace elements. You can NOT pick and choose what you dose, so if your alk is down you do NOT dose more alk. This breaks the method. I briefly used this method and found that your doser has to be very accurate to do it. I used Apex DOSs and found them to be wanting. I am now using the GHL doser and I think that once dialed in it can be accurate enough. One last thing on Balling, if you are doing it right your specific gravity should go up. This is an important feed back mechanism. If you don't see the specfic gravity going up you are doing it wrong.

I think this goes without saying stop buying expensive coral packs :p Hopefully a large percentage of your corals will make it through the re-adjust. Leave them alone and ensure that you have a handle on growth. When you start to get in the 5" range of growth then you can start picking up some more, but otherwise I wouldn't purchase any more. Otherwise you can just send your money to me because that is more productive than flushing it down the toilet. :p

It will take about 3-4 months if all goes well for you to set this ship straight. This is the problem with big tanks, they take a long time to push out of whack, but when you do it seems like forever to get them back in line. Hence my love for small tanks. :)

One last thing. Once you get some stability, buy some small pieces of live rock. You don't need very much and possibly you could coerce your LFS (if they are good) to sell you some small pieces from their display, or even if you live next to the ocean get some sand or small rocks. Try to beef up your biodiversity.

So I started using this. I think it’s different then you are thinking. Directions for this has you add 2 of the 3 tropic products to your brs alk and cal liquid mixture and then the 3rd is made to liquid and doses separate.
wantes this to be easy as possible was awesome to be adding minerals and not having to set up more dosers for it.
I thought that is nutrients and minerals are are proper levels then you did not have to do water changes at all or very little?

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

def look into it, but also may prove to be a combination of factors
I found it strange that my Rodi water tested high in zinc everything else was 0. But zinc is normal in tank water so who knows.
I will look into it even tho it does not sound like it’s gunna be any fun

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

Ouch.

Also did you see my full tank picture above? What is your thoughts on my issue being chemical warfare ?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back