ATi Reef Essential dosing

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by ken77, Mar 1, 2018.

1. ken77

ken77 Active Member

I just stared using ati essentials. My tank is 150 gallons of water or 567 liters. It is heavy sps. I have some large colonies. My starting dose was 50 x 5.7 = 285 mls. On day one my alk was 7.45 dkh. Day 2 alk was 8.79. I lowered the dose to 80mls based on the formula in the manuel. Day 3 alk is 8.79. Should lower it some more if so how much do you suggest or should I turn off the doser till alk falls back to near 7.5. 7.5 is where I would like the alk.

Tags:

2. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

I'd let it go for day to see if it goes down if not then lower it down a little more

3. Skynyrd Fish

Skynyrd Fish Active Member

Cut it down to 40ml. Test. Adjust.

4. A_game43

A_game43 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Alk at 8.79 is not a bad thing, what is your Nitrate level at this time? Low Nitrates and higher Alk are not a good thing, can lead to tip burning. Dido above "back off a little" / test / time / adjust? One thing that I keep telling myself when I see issues in my tank - "my tank got to this point for a reason", me being on the outside with multiple tools available, I can move fast but moving fast is not always the answer. Good Luck!

5. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

On trick I use is once I have a stable alk, but if its a little too high rather than lower the dose amount I just unplug the hose to the doser to skip a few doses. This way I don't have to reprogram my doser.

In a case like Ken's, you don't want to lower your dose to drop your alk, you want to find the steady alk. By simply unplugging your tubing from the doser it will allow you to skip a dose/day or whatever to allow your alk to drop slightly then plug it back in to keep it at that number. In my case my alk drops about 2.5dKH per day without a dosing, so I know how much each dose effects.

6. ken77

ken77 Active Member

So I have tested my alk everyday since March 14. My alk has been either 7.9 or 7.95. Would you guys say that is locked in or do I need it to stay at exactly one of those numbers all the time?

ATI North America likes this.
  7. Skynyrd Fish

That sounds pretty locked in to me. It is going to move around a little bit depending on what time of day you test. Try to test at the same time frame daily. Your locked and loaded. What is your daily dose?

ATI North America likes this.
  8. jorahx

jorahx Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

so if running high nitrates. is low alk bad?

9. ken77

ken77 Active Member

My daily dose is 120 ml. I thought it would be higher but it seems to be locked in there.

10. ken77

ken77 Active Member

Here is a pic of my tank. It is 160 gallons. Do think 120 mls seems low gor that many sps
    [​IMG]

11. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

It really depends, I can't tell what that is on the left. If your alkalinity is stable I would say it is perfect. I have a 180 with an 8" Derasa and a volleyball sized acro and hammer colony (among many others) and I dose about 400ml. Your tank appears to be like a 75-90gal and you have SPS but nothing that large that consumes a lot of alk (depending on what that is on the left).

12. ken77

ken77 Active Member

That is a large colony of green birds nest. The tank is custom built 160 gallon.

13. A_game43

Say more, what do you understand about "low alk" what measure? My example, not necessarily right, I ran really high nitrates with my Alk about 8 - 8.5dKH and had no issues at all. I would ask, why do I have high nitrates(food, fish load, lack of upkeep) and or is it in control? At the time I had high nitrates I had a very large fish load and I run a BioPellet reactor as well.

14. jorahx

I honestly don’t know why I have high nitrates. Currently. 50 nitrate with 8.1 alk. Four little fish. Cheato in a reactor.

I would suspect over feeding. As I tried teaching my fish about live brine shrimp. They were scare of it and ate none. And I target feed corals every other day.

15. A_game43

Do you have a clean up crew, Cerith snails - Red leg Hermits - Blue leg Hermits - Copepods to help clean up food and detritus that is left over? I do not target feed corals, they can get what they need out of my water column, they are not target fed in the ocean. Is your Nitrate value 50 or .50 from above?

16. jorahx

yes i have a clean-up crew. bunch of snails and no hermits (dont trust them!) lots of pods. and nitrate is 50ppm

17. ken77

ken77 Active Member

So this is what drives me crazy about dosing. The day after i posted in this thread that my alk had been stable fkr 7days at 7.9 to 7.95 it decided to go up 1ppm and the next day it went up 1ppm again. I am dosing 120 mls a day any suggestions on how much to lower it?

18. teamlounge

teamlounge Member

every tank is different. The best advice on here was make slow adjustments and test. Nobody knows your tank better than you. If you are dosing 120 ml and levels are creeping up make a 10% (12ml) adjustment down. Give it a few days (test everyday) and see what changes. Still to high adjust down another 10%. You should definitely see movement after a few days. Slow and steady wins the race!

19. A_game43

Can I ask a question, is the strategy with the ATI Essentials products to dose in a uniform manner across a 24hr period? I was dosing my ESV that way, does this strategy still hold true? Thanks!

20. Skynyrd Fish

I would say yes. Most would dose out multiple times per day.

Draft saved Draft deleted