ATK coding 2nd opinion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To anyone who has an opinion or input on the matter, thanks in advance.

I run kalk in my ATO and therefore had to tweak my ATK coding to prevent it from 1) running too long and spiking ph (default 2 minutes) and 2) allowing the ATK to operate up to the top optical sensor. In regards to point number 2, not only does running up to the top optical sensor spike my ph but it also triggers my alarm (SumpHi). I never understood the default coding that says to turn on if SumpLo is open and turn off if SumpHi is closed.

I tweaked it to shorten the “on” interval to 1 minute, and instruct the ATK to turn on when SumpLo is open and turn off when SumpLo is closed (vs SumpHi). That way, if the SumpHi alarm goes off, it tells me something else is wrong, and not that my ATK worked as instructed.

Does anyone have any perspective or feedback on what I am saying? I have a Red Sea 525xl and the ato sensors are positioned near the return section of my sump, which is a small area.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If SumpLo OPEN Then ON
If SumpLo CLOSED Then OFF
When On > 001:00 Then OFF

Defer 000:10 Then ON
Defer 000:04 Then OFF
Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you're describing and what your posted code shows do not match the normal operation of the ATK. You said you had to tweak the code to prevent it from "operating up to the top optical sensor". That is not the normal operation of the ATK. The standard code created by the ATK Setup task in Fusion creates code that would turn on the pump when the water is below the lower sensor, and turn off the pump once it again reaches the lower sensor. The code referencing the Upper sensor is only to stop the pump if the lower sensor failed for some reason. The way you changed your code will eliminate the failsafe of the upper sensor.

Here is the standard ATK code, using your sensor names (assuming your upper sensor is named SumpHi). The Set OFF on line 2 is what stops the pump once SumpLo is submerged. Line 4 only turns off the pump if SumpLo failed to report CLOSED once it's submerged:

1: Fallback OFF
2: Set OFF
3: If SumpLo OPEN Then ON
4: If SumpHi CLOSED Then OFF

5: When On > 005:00 Then OFF
6: Defer 000:10 Then ON
7: Defer 000:04 Then OFF
8: Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

Please read my ATK tutorial for a detailed description of how the ATK works, what each line of code does, and a list of troubleshooting steps if you run into any problems:

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’ll check it out. My ATK just blew by both sensors using the coding I posted and spiked my ph exactly like I’ve been trying to avoid.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the fact that I removed the float valve (it’s coming back on), I can’t figure out why my ATO dumped as much water as it did. It didn’t time out, and both sensors showed as closed. The water level in my return is fairly calm, so I don’t think it was the “defer, off” feature. Am I missing anything?

My last idea is that the water level in my overflow is fluctuating due to how I’ve adjusted my standpipe (Red Sea). That may affect the water level in the return section of my sump, which is the most sensitive to any fluctuation (evaporation or otherwise).

Thanks for reading.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Coding is now back as follows:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If SumpLo OPEN Then ON
If SumpHi CLOSED Then OFF
When On > 000:30 Then OFF
Defer 000:10 Then ON
Defer 000:02 Then OFF
Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pics from your Apex setup? FMM config & ATK switch/sensor off/auto/on setting. Like the 2 I've attached.
Screenshot_20200604-215719_Apex Fusion.jpg
Screenshot_20200604-215614_Apex Fusion.jpg

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pics from your Apex setup? FMM config & ATK switch/sensor off/auto/on setting. Like the 2 I've attached.
Screenshot_20200604-215719_Apex Fusion.jpg
Screenshot_20200604-215614_Apex Fusion.jpg

For the life of me, I can’t figure out how to edit the FMM module in Fusion (like in your screenshot). Can you point me in the right direction please?

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much troubleshooting, I don’t think this is an issue with my ATK. The water level in my overflow (Red Sea) is fluctuating enough to both trigger the ATO and the high sensor once the water level swings back the other way. It’s finicky, and if I can’t get it to stabilize I’ll have to make a durso and call it a day.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeps getting better. Over time, kalk clogged the siphon break valve. Was never an issue with my previous configuration (rodi tubing was positioned higher), so I never noticed. Once I repositioned it back to the float valve, it became an issue again.

Thought I would update for anyone who comes across this thread facing similar issues (kalk, ATO, ATK).

Scheduled maintenance goes a long way, especially if using kalk.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back