Atlantic Blue Tang, Lymphocystis or something else?

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank started about three weeks ago, there are three fish: Atlantic blue tang, Rock beauty, and a royal gramma, all of them had been through a modified TTM quarantine process.
This is their third day in the tank, just noticed that there are white spots on the Atlantic blue tang's fin. He looks fine, swims happily, eats like crazy, no fighting.
I plan to observe a little more and if the white "spot" gets larger or there's more appearing, I will use diluted Paraguard to rub them, is it feasible?
What could be the issue? Please help. I think it could be a fungal infection or a virus.

4ea418ce217eeef7ae8e39d7d832530.jpg ea38b42379d8ee297d3f6b125c4b6b4.jpg ae5799832e4ddabc532e42d7c5c1f59.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics a hair fuzzy but appears to be lymphocystis which is often associated with poor water quality and/or diet.
If these are first fish, not a good choice with changing parameters the first few weeks.
What is age of tank and what foods are you feeding?

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying!
Pics are fuzzy cuz he's constantly swimming around, can't get a good shot.
Unfortunately, the tank is just three weeks old. There had been an occasion that the cowrie snail produced a lot of mucus before the protein skimmer arrives, and I changed 1/4 water after that.
Currently feeding LRS Reef Frenzy and Formula Two Pellets, along with an omnivore pellet from Ultra Fresh to them. BTW, he's not interested in seaweed at all.
Pics a hair fuzzy but appears to be lymphocystis which is often associated with poor water quality and/or diet.
If these are first fish, not a good choice with changing parameters the first few weeks.
What is age of tank and what foods are you feeding?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for replying!
Pics are fuzzy cuz he's constantly swimming around, can't get a good shot.
Unfortunately, the tank is just three weeks old. There had been an occasion that the cowrie snail produced a lot of mucus before the protein skimmer arrives, and I changed 1/4 water after that.
Currently feeding LRS Reef Frenzy and Formula Two Pellets, along with an omnivore pellet from Ultra Fresh to them. BTW, he's not interested in seaweed at all.
Add a pouch of chemipure blue to help with clarity and any substance cowrie is emitting

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first image does look like it could be viral Lymphocystis. Royal Gramma get that easily, so watch that fish as well. No treatment for that, if that is the case, the fish typically recover in 6 to 10 weeks or so.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is modified TTM? Did you use formalin/H202 on this fish?
TTM= tank transfer method and formalin will nothing for this type of viral condition. Clean water and proper diet will set this stuff up to fall off fish in time.
Diet:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM= tank transfer method and formalin will nothing for this type of viral condition. Clean water and proper diet will set this stuff up to fall off fish in time.
Diet:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
I never said formalin nor H202 would heal anything. I just want to know if any harsh chemicals were used on this fish. It’s very normal for tangs (especially blue tangs) to break out with lympho/bacterial plugs when exposed to copper.

I know what TTM means; I want to know what MODIFIED ttm means to OP.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I never said formalin nor H202 would heal anything. I just want to know if any harsh chemicals were used on this fish. It’s very normal for tangs (especially blue tangs) to break out with lympho/bacterial plugs when exposed to copper.

This is a type of disease that runs its own course and produces nodules which are actually clustered groups of greatly enlarged, infected cells known as fibroblasts, which are part of the connective tissues in the fish. It has nothing to do with copper but rather bacteria or fungai and reaches parts of the fish that are not associated with the immune system (fins, scales, tail, etc)
NTTM is tank transfer method which many refer to the process as modified.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use a bucket and a liner bag instead of a tank, and I do 100% water change on a daily basis.
I sterilize the air stone and the air tube daily and I change the bag every day.
I double the Seachem Prime usage to minimize ammonia and nitrite. The whole process lasts for 7 days instead of 14 days.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a bucket and a liner bag instead of a tank, and I do 100% water change on a daily basis.
I sterilize the air stone and the air tube daily and I change the bag every day.
I double the Seachem Prime usage to minimize ammonia and nitrite. The whole process lasts for 7 days instead of 14 days.
How do you sterilize the airstone and tubing?

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first image does look like it could be viral Lymphocystis. Royal Gramma get that easily, so watch that fish as well. No treatment for that, if that is the case, the fish typically recover in 6 to 10 weeks or so.

Jay
Royal gramma looks clean to me, dashes out for food every time I feed.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diet:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Hikari veggie marine

The white stuff on ABT's fin seems to be gone, perhaps it's just a scratch from the arrow crab or the rocks?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The white stuff on ABT's fin seems to be gone, perhaps it's just a scratch from the arrow crab or the rocks?
viral will fall off which it likely did. Give the sandbed a Light siohoning to remove any traces of it

Back