Atlantic Sailfin Blenny, Emblemaria pandionis?

AceB9908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS got a handful of these guys in, and had them mislabeled as a "Sailfin Goby" (no slight at them, it probably came in the shipment like that, I worked there for 4 years) Looking at the fish I can tell it's a Blenny not a goby, and while looking into trying to figure out what exactly it is, the "Emblemaria pandionis" seems to be the answer.

That said, there's not really much information out there that I could find on them. So I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/give some information on their care? Sorry for the crappy pictures also, it's the best I could do with 30 Clownfish trying to get in the shot!

20201013_123949.jpg 20201013_124056.jpg 20201013_124315.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS got a handful of these guys in, and had them mislabeled as a "Sailfin Goby" (no slight at them, it probably came in the shipment like that, I worked there for 4 years) Looking at the fish I can tell it's a Blenny not a goby, and while looking into trying to figure out what exactly it is, the "Emblemaria pandionis" seems to be the answer.

That said, there's not really much information out there that I could find on them. So I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/give some information on their care? Sorry for the crappy pictures also, it's the best I could do with 30 Clownfish trying to get in the shot!

20201013_123949.jpg 20201013_124056.jpg 20201013_124315.jpg

I have one!! Super easy to care for... darts around eating like a piggy. Mine is not shy and sits out on the rock but has his favorite little caves to sleep or hide in. I believe they are more meaty type eaters than algae. I also have him with a pictus blenny and there is no aggression between the two. They are in a 5g together. He has typical blenny behavior where they watch you and the eyes move independently all over and gets the big fat belly.

I am not sure how they would do with large fish but he is a confident booger in my pico.

They have videos on youtube of them in the wild doing some crazy courtship behaviors. You could probably keep a mix in a large enough tank for territorial displays.

OP
OP
AceB9908

AceB9908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one!! Super easy to care for... darts around eating like a piggy. Mine is not shy and sits out on the rock but has his favorite little caves to sleep or hide in. I believe they are more meaty type eaters than algae. I also have him with a pictus blenny and there is no aggression between the two. They are in a 5g together. He has typical blenny behavior where they watch you and the eyes move independently all over and gets the big fat belly.

I am not sure how they would do with large fish but he is a confident booger in my pico.

They have videos on youtube of them in the wild doing some crazy courtship behaviors. You could probably keep a mix in a large enough tank for territorial displays.
Awesome thank you! I'll be sure to snag him tomorrow. From what I've seen I guess they're pretty rare to have in the hobby. Can't wait!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a few of these as well and they are a great fish for the smaller tank. It's good advice above so I'll just add that they act like a barnacle blenny if you give them suitable little caves.

The only thing I've found that's a slight negative and possibly just a rare occurrence but I had one that tried to eat a cleaner goby. It managed to get most of it in its mouth but had its bum sticking out. This made me a little wary of keeping them with super tiny, torpedo shaped fish.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread I know. Anyone else have experience with these? There are some very cool videos on YouTube of their behavior in the wild. Would 2 or 3 males in a larger tank show the flashing behavior? Or would larger fish scare them into hiding?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back