ATO Options and Aquascaping Comments

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had two questions: 1) ATO placement, and 2) aquascaping thoughts.

I recently set up a Red Sea Peninsula 500 (3 ReefLED 90's, 2 Reefwave 45's, Vectra M2 return pump, Red Sea 600 Skimmer) and had a question on ATO placement--the tank is currently cycling. I have a Tunze 3155 top off system and it's working perfectly--it's pulling from a 26 gallon reservoir and pumping water into a gallon tank that comes with the system that sits on top of the sump. The design is pretty slick and it's relatively easy to slide this 6 gallon tank back-and-forth on the glass rails for access to the filter socks, skimmer, etc. With that said, the 6 gallon tank is a little clunky and takes up space in the sump compartment, plus it's not visually pleasing and I'm thinking about moving the ATO sensor to the return chamber in the sump and removing the 6 gallon reservoir tank.

The benefit of my current set-up is that because the optical sensor and the float valve redundancy is sitting in the 6 gallon fresh water reservoir, I never have to worry about salt built-up and maintenance. The con is that I don't have ready, easy access to the full sump without sliding the 6 gallon reservoir back and forth. My main question is gaining anyone's experience with placing the Tunze ATO sensor into the main sump and how gunked up it gets with salt vs. maintaining the system.

My other question is what the group thinks about my aquascape. I'm planning for a mixed reef and 10+/- fish, ultimately including a couple of clowns, small school of chromis, lawnmower blenny, a couple of tangs (likely a sailfin and a gem--a birthday present to myself), cleaner wrasse, engineer goby, and goby/pistol shrimp combo. I cannot take a pic from the third, short side the tank because there is a column in the way, but there are spaces on the rocks to place corals at different elevation, plus a ton of room in various places on the sand to place corals that like a sand bed.

Really appreciate any thoughts!!

ATO 1.jpg ATO 2.jpg Tank 1.jpg Tank 2.jpg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can absolutely use the Tunze ATO as a standalone system instead of it pumping into the reservoir on top. With your current setup, it sounds like you're using an ATO to refill an ATO. I say that with confidence, and I use mine as a standalone as well. Optical sensor in the return pump section. Backup (tunze) float valve on the separate magnet about 1-2 inches above the optical for alerts and redundancy. Then unhook the other float valve and just leave it or take it out. Maintenance is little to none. Every once in a while, if I unplug my ATO for something outside of maintenance, I will plug it back in and use the water that comes out when it primes itself and spray on the float and optical sensor just because. I would recommend you give it a nice little finger swipe every once in a while for the sake of it. It'll be easy with that tank out of the way.

As far as the aquascape - Do you love it? I ask you because at the end of the day, you're the one looking at it for hours on end! Scapes tend to change over time, I literally re-did my right side yesterday as I lean towards minimalism (think Noguchi), and so the best advice I can give here is to find one you absolutely love love love, and replicate it. I think your aquascape gives wonderful room for the sandbed, keeps your flow dispersed well throughout the tank, and allows for visibility into the tank. It's a great design! My only caveat is to keep your eyes on livestock with regards to their territory, shyness, and anxiety. Openness also means less room for security for everyone, so if there's any bullying, well there's nowhere for fish to feel safe. I'm sure there's some great nooks and cranny's here, I just haven't inspected hard enough!! :p

All in all, I hope this is of help to you! All my best

Last edited:

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same Tunze ATO system in my sump for about 6 years now. The only "maintenance" I do it deliberately set off high water alarm (float valve) when I kill the return pump for water changes. I also wipe down the optical sensor every once in a while. I noticed my middle sump chamber was low about a year ago and after I wiped down the optical sensor, the ATO kicked on and has been fine ever since, so I deliberately wipe it down occasionally now. I would recommend keeping a second pump on hand just in case the original one fails. They're pretty cheap (around $25 from BRS).

I like your aquascape! I will say I am continually re-scaping my tank...it's kind of like redecorating! You might want some caves, especially if you're planning on a shrimp/goby. I will mention that if your rock work is on TOP of the sand, you will need to be sure everything is glued together well because the shrimp/goby will plow all over the place. Mine have tunnels everywhere under the rock work. As far as placing corals on the sandbed with the shrimp/goby, you will also want to be careful about that because they will bury them! Just this morning, I had to dig out a frag that I had on the sandbed because I wasn't sure where I was going to place it yet - oops! ;Shamefullyembarrased

Welcome to R2R and keep posting pictures!!

OP
OP
kkelly007

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the responses! You are totally correct in your using an "ATO to fill and ATO" comment. I'm going to remove and put the sensors in the return pump section of the sump.

My rock work is actually sitting on the glass--i.e., built it inside the tank and then poured in sand. I do love my aquascape. It's just this is my first adventure into a real reef tank and it was hard for me to build the scape with a long term vision of how corals will be placed & grow. This is in spite of a ton of research, much of which from reading the great threads on this web-site. I know that the only way to truly learn is through experience, so I'm ready for a few "lessons".

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the journey! It’s gonna be great! My pro tip is to make sure you have sufficient space between rocks and glass so you can easily clean the glass of algae

OP
OP
kkelly007

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the journey! It’s gonna be great! My pro tip is to make sure you have sufficient space between rocks and glass so you can easily clean the glass of algae

Thank you--I have a minimum of 4 inches clearance at every point.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back