ATO Reservoir

Kev The Fish Keeper

Kev New Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I trying to get things together for my 72g tank I trying to cut cost where I can. Can I use this as a ATO Reservoir?

Screenshot_20200531-185125.png

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently thought through this and considered so many different options. I have a 105 g + 30g sump, and use a Tunze 3155 ATO. I needed something low profile that I could put out of the way. After much thought I went with the following (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chem-Ta...ith-3-4-in-PolyPro-Outlet-TRANS25-1/306531062

This thing is awesome. It holds 25 gallons, is low profile, has a huge opening to add RODI water, is easily drilled to allow for the water line and electronic line, and is overall very well constructed. I was able to put this behind a couch and cover with a blanket and you don't even know it is there. Plus 25 gallons lasts me almost a month. The only thing is you'll need to get is a small pvc cap (you can pick one up at Home Depot for a dollar) to screw into the inside of the bottom spout (note that the spout is double threaded--the outside is a left-handed thread, but the bottom is a normal right-handed thread. Just unscrew the spout and bring into Home Depot to make sure you have the correct diameter pvc cap). I just wrapped with a little teflon tape and it's a perfect seal.

Every few weeks, I roll my 32g Brute can on casters next to this reservoir, and pump water into it with a powerhead. Couldn't be more simple and clean. Hope this helps!

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the same with the home depot bucket. Drilled a few holes in the lid. I pull the lid and set it off to the side, place in a new bucket of water and place the lid back on. Never had an issue. Its hidden in the stand. If I didn't have the storage under the stand id probably look for something more aesthetically appeasing.

ramboisreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO is gravity fed. I drilled a hole near the bottom of the bucket and ran a line from the bucket to the return reservoir. The bucket sits a little raised.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I trying to get things together for my 72g tank I trying to cut cost where I can. Can I use this as a ATO Reservoir?

Screenshot_20200531-185125.png
I used a similar 4gal bucket for 2.5 years on my 25gal nano. No issues.
No hole it the bottom of mine.
They have a lid I drilled a hole in too.
20200601_061451.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back