ATO reservoir

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a 5gal bucket but about to switch to a 10gal tank simply because when the 5gal bucket is filled to the top it’s higher then my 20gal sump and it’ll siphon water if not position higher. Just a pain because then the water splashes and it’ll wake me up at night sometimes.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an rv 16 gallon tank because it fits and is plastic. Drilled a hole to accommodate the tunze 3155 pump. Different sizes.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this. It is cheap, several different sizes, food safe, and the lid screws on and off easily. You can hide it easily or paint it, or turn it into a small table and put a plant on it. The price can't be beat.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that anything that holds water will work.

Having said that, since I haven't heard anyone chiming in for a purpose-built ATO, I'd offer the following three thoughts:

1) having something built out of clear or translucent acrylic is nice because it allows you to check the cleanliness of your ATO reservoir (no algae, accidental gunk, etc.)

2) The purpose-built reservoirs often come with value-added features such as volume graduations, optical sensors to integrate with APEX, separate openings to fill with water vs. penetrations for power cord and tubing, etc.

3) It's kinda cool to get an ATO reservoir that matches the color and size of your sump ... more visually appealing under your stand.

Having said all that, it's hard to put a $$ value on these things so there shouldn't be too large of a premium.

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an rv 16 gallon tank because it fits and is plastic. Drilled a hole to accommodate the tunze 3155 pump. Different sizes.
@Pistondog -- could I trouble you to post a picture of how you did this? Curious where you put the hole, and how you fill the rv tank on a regular basis. Thx!

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on all the 5 gallon bucket replies. My stand has no room for a sump, so I use an XP Aqua sumpless ATO unit running from a 5 gallon bucket. Works great!!!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pistondog -- could I trouble you to post a picture of how you did this? Curious where you put the hole, and how you fill the rv tank on a regular basis. Thx!
Drilled a big enough hole in the top to drop in the tunze pump.
Pump rodi into the tank when level gets low, once every 2 weeks or so, thru the same hole.

Desperado Lucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a harder time dropping money on this than anything else, because you’re correct that anything that holds water would do. My issue space in the sump, and not wanting to splice wires on my ATO pump (the Tunze ATO has some drawbacks).

I couldn’t find anything slimmer that would hold as much water.

mrmoray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pet food storage container. Perfect size for the space in my stand. And it’s clear, so it’s easy to monitor and it has a lid.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back