Ato sensor position on AIO

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emailed multiple times and never heard back about this.

Kind of unlike them, as they’ve responded pretty actively with past inquiries.

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a refresher, I have a 55 gallon standard tank with Fiji Cube's AIO DIY Kit. What I had to do was set the water level in the second chamber level with the dividing wall. I then set the ATO to keep it at this level. Unfortunately, this set the water level in the main display area too low. I had to use the inTank All-In-One Surface Skimmer to raise the level in the main display to just above the trim. As a result, the filter sock area water level is below the main display level and the skimmer/return chamber is below that. As the filter sock clogs, the water level only goes up in that area and not in the main display. As water evaporates, the level in the skimmer/return chamber goes go up and down slightly due to how the ATO sensor works. This is where Fiji Cube's 55 gallon AIO insert is a poor design. Since it only has two chambers, the water level cannot be held consistent for the skimmer to work properly. I have a Tunze 9004 that is extremely sensitive to water levels. So it goes from working fine to overflowing or popping/clicking. I hate this setup so much that I ordered a new 55 gallon tank, Fiji Cube external overflow, and Fiji Cube Fiji-15 Sump. I can't wait to get this setup and running and throw away the AIO system.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emailed multiple times and never heard back about this.

Kind of unlike them, as they’ve responded pretty actively with past inquiries.
As a refresher, I have a 55 gallon standard tank with Fiji Cube's AIO DIY Kit. What I had to do was set the water level in the second chamber level with the dividing wall. I then set the ATO to keep it at this level. Unfortunately, this set the water level in the main display area too low. I had to use the inTank All-In-One Surface Skimmer to raise the level in the main display to just above the trim. As a result, the filter sock area water level is below the main display level and the skimmer/return chamber is below that. As the filter sock clogs, the water level only goes up in that area and not in the main display. As water evaporates, the level in the skimmer/return chamber goes go up and down slightly due to how the ATO sensor works. This is where Fiji Cube's 55 gallon AIO insert is a poor design. Since it only has two chambers, the water level cannot be held consistent for the skimmer to work properly. I have a Tunze 9004 that is extremely sensitive to water levels. So it goes from working fine to overflowing or popping/clicking. I hate this setup so much that I ordered a new 55 gallon tank, Fiji Cube external overflow, and Fiji Cube Fiji-15 Sump. I can't wait to get this setup and running and throw away the AIO system.
If this is the basic design of the AIO kits, I'm not crazy about the design either. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...a94-9b13-b47d128bb5cc_grande.png?v=1579307828
Seems like the baffle from the overflow section is too low to maintain an acceptable, constant level in the DT. Also, if the baffle to the return section were even with the baffle from the overflow (or just slightly lower), I would think that you could maintain a constant water level in both of the first two sections with the only fluctuation occurring in the return section. Does that sound right? I'm still sure I'm missing something. They've had some really good reviews, so it must be doable. :confused:

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is unique to the 10, 20, 29, and 55 gallon system in that they only have two chambers. The 40 gallon breeder and 75 gallon have three chambers like the link you shared.

The 55 gallon looks like this:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2124/3005/products/AIO10_2048x2048.jpg?v=1586403236

The current version of the 55 gallon system is slightly different than this picture. There is an additional overflow wall just before the second chamber that forces that water to go up and over into the second chamber similar to the wall between the 1st and 2nd chamber in the 75 gallon.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is unique to the 10, 20, 29, and 55 gallon system in that they only have two chambers. The 40 gallon breeder and 75 gallon have three chambers like the link you shared.

The 55 gallon looks like this:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2124/3005/products/AIO10_2048x2048.jpg?v=1586403236

The current version of the 55 gallon system is slightly different than this picture. There is an additional overflow wall just before the second chamber that forces that water to go up and over into the second chamber similar to the wall between the 1st and 2nd chamber in the 75 gallon.
I have the 40 with this issue.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure this out? I am trying to set up an ato now and having all sorts of issues with it.
Thank you.
Not exactly. I just stuck with leaving it in the DT, and it's been working like a charm for months. Defies the logic most people would apply, but all I can tell you is it works. As mentioned, when my filters clog up, the return chamber drops, so putting the sensor there just didn't work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back