OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We took the Family to the Newport aquarium in Cincinnati (yes I know its technically in Kentucky) yesterday. I thought you all would like to see some photos. We have a aquarium pass for the year and because of COVID they are only letting in a limited amount of people. We always get the first time of the day and as long as we stay at a steady pace, we basically have the place to ourselves. Thanks to my beautiful wife for taking the pictures!
IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be posting a youtube video on the Newport Aquarium here in a couple months. My wife and I went there are part of our anniversary trip!

We love Newport! I wish they had more of a coral exhibit but overall its done very well. The behinds the scenes tour is fantastic if you have the time!

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to get the behind the scene tour! Sadly we live in Illinois so I'd rather get a behind the scene tour of our Shedd Aquarium first, much closer haha

I hate to say this, but I've been to both the Shedds and the Newport many times. I like Newport better! I'm sure as our kids get a little older, we will go back to Shedds and I hope It was just my mood for that day! Our next family trip after Covid-19 will be the Georgia Aquarium. They have an option to sleep in front of the big aquarium in sleeping bags that my kids would love!!!!!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to UC during the time the Newport Aquarium first opened. Haven’t been there in years, and our Aquarium in Cleveland is kinda a letdown. Kids aren’t really into the aquariums anyways, so I just check out the few they have at the zoo with them instead.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank! How has the Moorish Idol been with the zoanthids? Every one I had experience with eventually ate zoas like they were candy.

I noticed that my moorish idol was the fish that was eating my zoanthids. I cant tell you how much this crushed me. This is my favorite fish and I planned the whole tank around it. So ive decided to take out all my zoanthids and go strickly SPS and Euphillia.

I figured it was only a matter of time on the Moorish Idol. That's been my experience with all of them. Model citizen for months and then ravage coral eating monsters seemingly overnight. Just an FYI, I've also experienced more than one that started going after SPS as well. Something to keep an eye on. One of my favorite fish but just not good candidates for reef tanks IMO.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it was only a matter of time on the Moorish Idol. That's been my experience with all of them. Model citizen for months and then ravage coral eating monsters seemingly overnight. Just an FYI, I've also experienced more than one that started going after SPS as well. Something to keep an eye on. One of my favorite fish but just not good candidates for reef tanks IMO.

Thanks!

I know they may pick at sps but I hope to have enough that the occasional pick isn't a big deal.

New fish! SOHAL TANG!
I saw them for sale on live aquaria for 130 so I snatched one up (small 3 inch). I then had a new fish friend come the day after I placed this order. He has a 6 inch Sohal that is picking on his other fish. Im going to trade him mine and a frag for his bigger one. Win win for us both!

20201110_112341.jpg

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I know they may pick at sps but I hope to have enough that the occasional pick isn't a big deal.

New fish! SOHAL TANG!
I saw them for sale on live aquaria for 130 so I snatched one up (small 3 inch). I then had a new fish friend come the day after I placed this order. He has a 6 inch Sohal that is picking on his other fish. Im going to trade him mine and a frag for his bigger one. Win win for us both!

20201110_112341.jpg
Ah man! I want one so bad but am a tad concerned with aggression issues. Let me know how he does! With tank your size I’m sure won’t be an issue. Beauty!

ps started my tank build! Check it out if you’re bored.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah man! I want one so bad but am a tad concerned with aggression issues. Let me know how he does! With tank your size I’m sure won’t be an issue. Beauty!

ps started my tank build! Check it out if you’re bored.
Ill check out your tank build!!!

ReefBridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build! I’m very fascinated with the plywood tank build and I think my wife is concerned! It’s nice to see a fellow Hoosier reefer! Thank you for sharing!

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, did you reinforce the back seams? Or how did you make the back rigid enough to support that kind of volume?

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build! I’m very fascinated with the plywood tank build and I think my wife is concerned! It’s nice to see a fellow Hoosier reefer! Thank you for sharing!

Always love seeing local people! If your wanting to build a plywood tank, Common over and take a look at mine in person anytime! You just might leave with a frag or 2!

If you don't mind me asking, did you reinforce the back seams? Or how did you make the back rigid enough to support that kind of volume?

I do not have any seams in the back. I was able to find 10 ft plywood to span the entire length. If I had found 12 ft plywood I would have built a 12ft tank :oops:. The back wall is built with 2x6s that interlock with the side walls. Its not going anywhere!!!

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing!

Thank you! I am very happy with the progress but I'm more excited for the next year to let the SPS grow out!!! I've added a lot of higher end SPS recently and I hope to add 5-10 more super high end show pieces in the next year.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. In the picture of the painted breeding station is that a lobster on the wall?

Sorta!!! Its my lobsters Molt. I had him for 2 years and he would molt every 8 months. I thought the molts looks cool so I mounted it to the wall. No clue why he died a few months back. He always ate well.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot to update recently. I have a big order of high end SPS that myself and @AdamH300 ordered together. They will be in Friday.

I did make a purchase towards future fragging adventures! I fragged and almost killed a simple hammer coral. I decided if I ever frag my dragon soul torch this will be needed!
20201208_200150.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back