OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sailfin tang! Its easily 8 inches tall.
20200423_195211.jpg

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’re “going green”! :):):)

The price was right on the lights, FREE, but i dont love the 10k led lights for color. I might try to buy a used black box to add some blues to the tank when people are wanting to buy. My electric bill will like this also!!

I have a flame and a coral beauty as well with 2 clams in my 210g. I have never seen them bothering the clams. I do feed a lot though, especially now during the quarantine, I find myself spending tons of extra time with the reef tank.

Atomic, simply an amazing build! Thanks for sharing! Lots of ideas for future projects!
Fantastic pictures!
Your tank is beautiful, the color of fishes is very nice.

Thank you so much!!!! Im not done yet!!! Another year i really believe this tank will be amazing......i hate waiting!!!!

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What paint did you use to paint the Inside?

Fiberglass first, Epoxy 2nd, Pond shield last.

the paint your referring to is just normal paint i added to the fiberglass mixture to give it color. Truly i didnt need to cause its covered up by the epoxy and pond shield.

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the Fresh air intake hooked up to my skimmer. PH has been hovering around 7.7 to 7.9 I hope this gets me up into the 8.0 and higher.

20200512_153037.jpg

20200512_152820.jpg
Wondering if you have measured pH with apex probe only or may have used an other kit or probe! I read 7.9 with apex but pH colometric kit gives me 8.2. Have read repeatedly that Apex can under report pH by 0.2-0.3 even with calibration - just a thought - but also contemplating to run a fresh air intake foe my skimmer....

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if you have measured pH with apex probe only or may have used an other kit or probe! I read 7.9 with apex but pH colometric kit gives me 8.2. Have read repeatedly that Apex can under report pH by 0.2-0.3 even with calibration - just a thought - but also contemplating to run a fresh air intake foe my skimmer....

I won't be disappointed if that's the case. I'll check it tonight, thank you. I don't think it will ever hurt to have the outside air intake. It makes my fish room quieter if nothing else!

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder how long it will take for fresh air to make a impact. Im almost at 48 hours and im just starting to see a small change. Im sure on a tank with 1200 gallons its gonna take a bit longer than one with 200 gal. I still wana test to see how accurate the prob is also.

Apex.png

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So someday i may go down this path and i empty my dehumidifier several times a day in the summer with my 220 open top downstairs now. How do you keep humidity and moisture at bay?

I have a big dehumidifier that runs 24/7. It is always emptying into my sump pump pit (gravity drain to the back of my property). I also have a ventilation fan in the fish room that runs on a humidistate (spelling?). It seems to keep up.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big dehumidifier that runs 24/7. It is always emptying into my sump pump pit (gravity drain to the back of my property). I also have a ventilation fan in the fish room that runs on a humidistate (spelling?). It seems to keep up.
ive got a decent size one that runs 24-7 too, i just wondered how much humidity id go up from 220 to say 600 to 800.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a decent size one that runs 24-7 too, i just wondered how much humidity id go up from 220 to say 600 to 800.
Its hard to say how much. I go through about 55g of topoff every 7-10 days. I also have my fishroom connected to my furnace room. So I know that has to do something. Good or bad I don't know.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to say how much. I go through about 55g of topoff every 7-10 days. I also have my fishroom connected to my furnace room. So I know that has to do something. Good or bad I don't know.
I think I'm like 10 gallons or so a week I believe so that would be another 40 gallons a week. Hmmm

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering having a 300~ plywood tank built, but am curious about plumbing. I see that you used some sort of overflow, most of the tanks I've seen just use elbows and holes drilled..

Have any info on the overflow setup?

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering having a 300~ plywood tank built, but am curious about plumbing. I see that you used some sort of overflow, most of the tanks I've seen just use elbows and holes drilled..

Have any info on the overflow setup?

I bought a overflow setup on ebay. Search for overflow box. Its just silicone to the back wall. easy peasy

Bruddah_E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well executed build. Thank you for documenting it and posting about it. I enjoyed reading your thread. The tank is aging nicely. I love the picture of both your kids on their stools looking into the tank.

You are bringing in a lot of livestock. With that amount volume, I am curious of your experience. Besides DOA fish, have you run into ich or other diseases or problems with the any fish that you ordered online?

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well executed build. Thank you for documenting it and posting about it. I enjoyed reading your thread. The tank is aging nicely. I love the picture of both your kids on their stools looking into the tank.

You are bringing in a lot of livestock. With that amount volume, I am curious of your experience. Besides DOA fish, have you run into ich or other diseases or problems with the any fish that you ordered online?

I try to do a 40 day quarantine with all the livestock but unfortunately a hippo tang got through with ich (had them for over 2 months in QT). They kicked it easily but it killed a PBT and my Achilles has had ich for the last few months. Achilles eats fine and I'm soaking all food in selcon and garlic but he still has a few spots. Getting ready to setup a uv sterilizer next. I have a 57w from a old setup and its gotta be better than nothing.

Other than that I've been good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back