ATS and refugium on one tank

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am curious on people's opinions on having an algae scrubber and a refugiums on a tank?

Does anyone have experience with this and if so do you recommend it?

My logic here is that 1. I obviously want to keep nutrients as low as possible and 2. Also have the added benefit of having a massive reproducing pod population.

Any advice is appreciated thanks.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean why not lol

Just watch that you don't bottom out your nutrients.

I didn't start with a refugium and by the time I needed one I couldn't grow anything in it as things were so out of whack, so I deckded to start an ATS instead of reducing with nopox or other chemical remover.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note you don’t need a refugium for pods. Rocks with lots of small pores works. Or they have these things at algae barn
F97B5042-7A9C-4134-A49B-39732A0CE8A5.png

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean why not lol

Just watch that you don't bottom out your nutrients.

I didn't start with a refugium and by the time I needed one I couldn't grow anything in it as things were so out of whack, so I deckded to start an ATS instead of reducing with nopox or other chemical remover.
Yeah that's fair. Hmmm, would you recommend starting with an ATS then? The problem is the ATS I have are rated for up to 80 gallons and my tank is 120 but I only have 7 fish hahah. So idk if that size of ATS plus skimmer would be enough or if I should add the refugiums for the pod action

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note you don’t need a refugium for pods. Rocks with lots of small pores works. Or they have these things at algae barn
F97B5042-7A9C-4134-A49B-39732A0CE8A5.png
I heard about these but some people say they leach aluminum where the Brightwell ones do not. Or am I wrong?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah that's fair. Hmmm, would you recommend starting with an ATS then? The problem is the ATS I have are rated for up to 80 gallons and my tank is 120 but I only have 7 fish hahah. So idk if that size of ATS plus skimmer would be enough or if I should add the refugiums for the pod action
I'd go big export and them feed to keep nutrients up.

So start all 3 and feed to keep them happy.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard about these but some people say they leach aluminum where the Brightwell ones do not. Or am I wrong?
I just did an ICP test a few weeks ago and didn’t have any. Will be running another one in about a week so I’ll keep an eye on it

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some more compact designs for ATS units

Interesting!

I have 2 ATS right now. Only one is running the other broke and the replacement part didn't come for a long time so I bought this one in the interim.

I COULD run both but that's probably overkill. I think running one plus a refugiums if I can fit it and a skimmer is probably overkill but I'd rather have not enough nutrients then too much.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!

I have 2 ATS right now. Only one is running the other broke and the replacement part didn't come for a long time so I bought this one in the interim.

I COULD run both but that's probably overkill. I think running one plus a refugiums if I can fit it and a skimmer is probably overkill but I'd rather have not enough nutrients then too much.
Not enough is not good either

Leads to outbreaks of other stuff (dinos) and you def don’t want that

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back