Attach rocks on the overflow box under water

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what would be the best way to attach some rocks to plastic overflow box. I am thinking to make some small shelf for corals.
Epoxy? Ca? Or combination?

Any ideas?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above. I wouldn't attach rock to the plastic overflow because 1) adds stress to the plastic and 2) if the rock comes off, your corals will go tumbling down.
Instead, make a stack and lean it against the overflow, or get some pillar structure if you're going for something more minimal. You can find shelf rock at your LFS and online, so you can get the look you're going for without worrying about it being an issue later on.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow is glass, there is a plastic cover which is like half of inch thick. There is no way small rock poured in the water can stress such plastic. But thanks for your input.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried CA and epoxy, together, and seperatly. I could never get either to stick with any holding power, and the CA made a mess of the plastic wrap.

I have the same overflow style as you. Glass actual overflow, wrapped in acrylic/plastic.

I ended up just stacking the flat pieces against the overflow to hide it.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow is glass, there is a plastic cover which is like half of inch thick. There is no way small rock poured in the water can stress such plastic. But thanks for your input.
Ok. Your initial post said your overflow was plastic. Good luck.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could do something like this and make it out of water then place next to your overflow.
Just reminded me to try find a video of what i once seen ages ago ,using egg crate and rock rubble,and make eggcrate frame and superglue rock rubble to the eggcrate and the guy also explained how to make a piece at top of the structure that just simply hooks over top of original overflow.
It looked very simple to do and removeable if needed and once hooked over was secure and just looked great.i think i can remember guy who made it wo when time.will try find as im wanting to share video to my build thread anyway so always got these great educational ideas on hand

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic frag holder (shaped to look like a rock).

Screenshot_20210520-141432_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried CA and epoxy, together, and seperatly. I could never get either to stick with any holding power, and the CA made a mess of the plastic wrap.

I have the same overflow style as you. Glass actual overflow, wrapped in acrylic/plastic.

I ended up just stacking the flat pieces against the overflow to hide it.

ok, no glue. So as multiple people suggested I will try to build something from the bottom.
max thickness 1/4". Not even close to what I have with glass behind plastic. But thank you for suggestion!

Could do something like this and make it out of water then place next to your overflow.
Just reminded me to try find a video of what i once seen ages ago ,using egg crate and rock rubble,and make eggcrate frame and superglue rock rubble to the eggcrate and the guy also explained how to make a piece at top of the structure that just simply hooks over top of original overflow.
It looked very simple to do and removeable if needed and once hooked over was secure and just looked great.i think i can remember guy who made it wo when time.will try find as im wanting to share video to my build thread anyway so always got these great educational ideas on hand

That looks nice but way too expensive and I have to do it under water. But thank you.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks nice but way too expensive and I have to do it under water. But thank you.
[/QUOTE]

Why do you have to do it under water ?
Or you just prefer to ?
I was thinking make it out of the water then attach what you made with a spots in the water.but yeah seems like could be expensive.
When i researched into this ,i decided for me the best ( which looked best and was cheapish was gluing rock rubble onto egg crate then hook the structure you made out of water onto the overflow.
But now im thinking more along the line off the bigger picture and get some " ultra" green star polyps and maybe glue few pieces onto back glass and/ or rest a small frag against back glass at bottom of tank and let it grow upwards and across towards the light all over the back glass and overflow creating a gsp wall.looks kinda cool waving in the flow and apparently is very easy to just peel off and cut from the glass if needed.
Anyhow good luck in whatever you decide doing.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to attached some large rocks to my tank wall using a combination of thick CA (Jurassic Gel) and a 3M adhesive that I can’t remember the name of. My tank was dry when I attached the rocks. I initially tried just the 3M product but they fell off so I added the CA and they stayed. These were very large heavy rocks.
I don’t see why thick CA alone wouldn’t work but you need to be mindful of a couple thuinga
1) The plastic surface has to be very clean. Get all biofilms and dust off. Roughing it up a little would probably help also if you just apply an abrasive surface cleaner not meant for plastic.
2) The rock surface has to be cut perfectly flat. BRS sells some rocks called Foundation ReefSaver. These have a perfectly flat surface and I expect they would work. Cutting my rocks flat was the most difficult part.
The overflow box just out of frame on the right had some smaller rocks that were much easier to cut and attach.
1621542772766.jpeg

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is what’s on the overflow box what you had in mind? That shouldn’t be too hard with thin rocks but it needs to be clean, the rock has to be flat, and you will need to hold it firmly in place until it’s thoroughly set or cured.

1621543597348.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is what’s on the overflow box what you had in mind? That shouldn’t be too hard with thin rocks but it needs to be clean, the rock has to be flat, and you will need to hold it firmly in place until it’s thoroughly set or cured.

1621543597348.jpeg

Very nice floating aquascape.gives more interest as fish swim under/ over and through it.
Good job indeed ^_^

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1621543597348.jpeg
Stunning! Really, I love that. Maybe I will try with small peace.

Sand it flat, use CA with epoxy and will see what happens. I should be able to support it from the bottom for the curing time. If it fells than I will abandon the whole idea and build something. At this point I am limited with space. I shut down my second aquarium and put rocks from that tank to my main display and now I don't have much space on the sand.
This is what I currently have.
PXL_20210520_232607697.jpg

PXL_20210520_232617449.jpg

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning! Really, I love that. Maybe I will try with small peace.

Sand it flat, use CA with epoxy and will see what happens. I should be able to support it from the bottom for the curing time. If it fells than I will abandon the whole idea and build something. At this point I am limited with space. I shut down my second aquarium and put rocks from that tank to my main display and now I don't have much space on the sand.
This is what I currently have.
PXL_20210520_232607697.jpg

PXL_20210520_232617449.jpg
You’ll be sawing the rock flat, right?
Why use the epoxy? I think part of what makes the rock stay is that the thick glue fills in the holes in the rock and grabs onto it that way.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back