Attaching corals

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take coral off existing plug. Dip etc. mount with superglue gel to new plug. Then superglue plug to epoxy (like 5 min) and superglue outside of epoxy and stick into rock.

Gives you a few minutes to mount and worst case you can dig out and remove or replace.

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take coral off existing plug. Dip etc. mount with superglue gel to new plug. Then superglue plug to epoxy (like 5 min) and superglue outside of epoxy and stick into rock.

Gives you a few minutes to mount and worst case you can dig out and remove or replace.
reason for replacing plug, haven’t heard of anyone doing that

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to remove it from the plug if you don't want to. Use super glue with cyanoacrylate in it. Typically it will have a green cap on it. You may even be able to find a spot in your rock where the plug will fit tightly into as well.

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to remove it from the plug if you don't want to. Use super glue with cyanoacrylate in it. Typically it will have a green cap on it. You may even be able to find a spot in your rock where the plug will fit tightly into as well.
don’t all super glue gels have cyanoacrylate

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t all super glue gels have cyanoacrylate
They were probably just clearing up the fact that you don't want to use something other than it, such as construction adhesive ...

Vermin/eggs tend to live on the edge of the coral/plug
Yes this ^^

I don't use plugs at all - just glue the frags right to the LR. Scrub a section of rock with a fingernail brush to remove any organics, dab the bottom tip of the frag with a towel to remove most/all of the moisture, blob a decent amount of glue on the tip, put into tank without the blob falling off and glueing your fishes' mouths shut, use the frag to spread the glue around your selected area and if it's not enough to start to hold, remove the frag and add more glue. Then try again to get it to start getting 'sticky' on the rock. Then hold for a few minutes to ensure it won't tip over.
And if needed, once it starts to hold, push the glue into place around the base of the plug with your finger or something suitable which can either be discarded or cleaned of the glue.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reason for replacing plug, haven’t heard of anyone doing that
Replace the plug to reduce / eliminate risk of hitchhikers and eggs or larvae that are deeper inside the existing plug and not removed by treatments.

I always worry when adding things to my DT. If I had the patience, space, and time I would QT corals. But for me it’s more clean, dip, etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back