Attaching Green Star Polyp to Glass

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am picking up myself a gsp frag, and I intend to attach it to the back wall of my tank. Good light, good flow and away from my rock.

From what I read it's a pretty simple thing to do, liberal application of gel superglue, put where I want it, twist to break the skin and hold. Just want to confirm this is the right way to go about it, and if that doesn't work, what other methods are there for attaching it to glass? If all else fails, I have a piece of rock set aside for it.

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve already mentioned keeping it away from your rock. So this is for any else who hasn’t experienced GSP. This stuff grows like Kudzu. It will smother other corals and can completely take over a tank. Beautiful but over prolific.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did instead of the superglue(found they don't particularly like SG) was to place it in the sand right next to the glass. They have a tendency to grow UP and not out on the sandbed, so they attach themselves to the glass an grow UP.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME super glue gel doesn't stick very well to clean glass. (long term, especially when snails are present) You might want to find a spot of Coralline algae (if you have any) and glue it to that. It's something to grab onto as opposed to that smooth surface. GL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME super glue gel doesn't stick very well to clean glass. (long term, especially when snails are present) You might want to find a spot of Coralline algae (if you have any) and glue it to that. It's something to grab onto as opposed to a smooth surface. GL.
No coralline, but lots of green. My fish murdered all but one of my snails. Do have a Tuxedo Urchin though.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a frag of GSP and it came off the plug. I SG it directly to the rock I was going to glue the plug to. wasn't a problem. so if you wanted it flat to the glass you could peel it off the frag plug and glue it directly to the glass.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did instead of the superglue(found they don't particularly like SG) was to place it in the sand right next to the glass. They have a tendency to grow UP and not out on the sandbed, so they attach themselves to the glass an grow UP.

Good point. I tried the SG to glass an it fell down three time. I gave up and attached it t it's own rock.

Also, the super glue came off the GSP pretty easily.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a small magnet to attach the GSP, then you can place just about anywhere the tank glass. The gsp will most likely grow over the magnet.

kcschwabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering I know I’ll prolly be shunned for this but I light my tank naturally it’s next to a window and everything seems to love it that way anyways if I can get gsp to grow on my glass will it still photosynthesize facing away from the sun ( sun would be shining on the underside of the mat

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this. I cut the frag plug so it was a flat disk and glued it with superglue on the glass pane. It has been almost 2 months now and it has not budged

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up doing exactly that, except it already was on a flat plug. Been up a few months and has roughly doubled in size. Slow for GSP from what I've heard, but oh well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Gorilla Glue Gel, it never stuck the glass, it sticks easily to coralline, even if it’s just a little. This was frag, 8 months ago.
What I really was surprised is that with a credit card, it would come off in sheets......great for fragging...
CEAC8F69-F397-4012-89A3-0B1406770D15.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back