ATTENTION all PNW Reefers!! Come one come all!

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice. Lots of room for more corals.
Yes!! I know! I just "upgraded" from a 20g long to this 29g but it feels so much larger than just another 9 gallons. It was the best choice ever, totally love the all in one tank style. I need to locate another 10lbs of rock or so before I really get serious about adding more coral. I'd hate to get something growing well in there only to have to move it to add the rock I need.

Also side question, when you have a large shrimp molt do you leave the molt in there or remove it? My new skunk cleaner molted overnight and I'm unsure of I should take it out. With my freshwater cherry shrimp I used to leave them in but they were so small, this molt is huge in comparison.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is part of the journey. I’ve been battling GHA for about a month. New corals will look amazing in there. Can’t wait to see it.

If algae is part of the journey, my tank might be Disneyland... does that analogy work? Probably not. That's okay.

1653774058840.png

1653774209041.png

1653774259869.png

1653774312658.png

I usually spend about two hours a week manually removing the stuff. I feel like I might actually be starting to turn a corner with it (despite appearances), my standard harvesting time only yielded half as much algae as normal the last time I pulled.

Before anyone asks: Yes, I've tried fluco. Yes, I have a UV sterilizer. Yes, I have a skimmer. Yes, I do regular water changes. Yes, I have a refugium (produces about a baseball's worth of chaeto per week). Yes, I have plenty of algae eaters (two urchins, a tang, two massive zebra turbo snails, a pair of lettuce nudis, 20-40 mediums-sized snails, 3-4 emerald crabs, hundreds of miniature snails, hermits and more). The algae just doesn't quit. Nutrients are also quite low, though I suspect that's because the algae is consuming them all. Corals are growing, though, and after years of discontinuing two-part dosing I think I finally have to start it up again.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If algae is part of the journey, my tank might be Disneyland... does that analogy work? Probably not. That's okay.

1653774058840.png

1653774209041.png

1653774259869.png

1653774312658.png

I usually spend about two hours a week manually removing the stuff. I feel like I might actually be starting to turn a corner with it (despite appearances), my standard harvesting time only yielded half as much algae as normal the last time I pulled.

Before anyone asks: Yes, I've tried fluco. Yes, I have a UV sterilizer. Yes, I have a skimmer. Yes, I do regular water changes. Yes, I have a refugium (produces about a baseball's worth of chaeto per week). Yes, I have plenty of algae eaters (two urchins, a tang, two massive zebra turbo snails, a pair of lettuce nudis, 20-40 mediums-sized snails, 3-4 emerald crabs, hundreds of miniature snails, hermits and more). The algae just doesn't quit. Nutrients are also quite low, though I suspect that's because the algae is consuming them all. Corals are growing, though, and after years of discontinuing two-part dosing I think I finally have to start it up again.
Wow, that’s a lot of algae. I wish I could offer some advice. I had a bad outbreak that I was able to eradicate with flux RX and it’s pretty much stayed gone except for one rock that it just won’t completely go away on. It’s actually back now so I need to dose again. Good on you for keeping up with harvesting all of it out of there.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some threads using peroxide to reduce GHA in established aquariums in R2R. I used it with some success. Forgot the dose rate.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1653774058840.png

1653774209041.png

1653774259869.png

1653774312658.png

An algea scrubber would fix that in no time ;)

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some threads using peroxide to reduce GHA in established aquariums in R2R. I used it with some success. Forgot the dose rate.

That's actually something I'm trying, though doing spot treatment rather than broadcast dosing. It's seemed to be effective thus far. Turned off the pumps, and restricted the treatment to two specific spots on the rocks after manually removing most of the large stuff. The spots where I dosed are actually bare now, so I'll be continuing to treat and expand... hopefully I can finally get it under control, because I'm that one issue away from having a great reef.

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually something I'm trying, though doing spot treatment rather than broadcast dosing. It's seemed to be effective thus far. Turned off the pumps, and restricted the treatment to two specific spots on the rocks after manually removing most of the large stuff. The spots where I dosed are actually bare now, so I'll be continuing to treat and expand... hopefully I can finally get it under control, because I'm that one issue away from having a great reef.
What are you spot treating with ?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you spot treating with ?
Hydrogen peroxide. Specifically, 12% H202. Pumps off, applied through a 3ml blunt-tip syringe to specific spots on the rocks.

I definitely wouldn't recommend broadcast-dosing with 12%. It's incredibly reactive, and if something happened to get a concentrated blast before it could dissipate, I could definitely see it doing some damage. But as a spot treatment it seems to be fine - each individual spot gets a very small dose of it, and most of what I spit out reacts with the algae pretty much immediately. It's most effective when I can get it in at the base of the algae.

The only time I've had any incidental damages with it were when I either dosed too much at once, or when I failed to turn off the pumps before spot-dosing.

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide. Specifically, 12% H202. Pumps off, applied through a 3ml blunt-tip syringe to specific spots on the rocks.

I definitely wouldn't recommend broadcast-dosing with 12%. It's incredibly reactive, and if something happened to get a concentrated blast before it could dissipate, I could definitely see it doing some damage. But as a spot treatment it seems to be fine - each individual spot gets a very small dose of it, and most of what I spit out reacts with the algae pretty much immediately. It's most effective when I can get it in at the base of the algae.

The only time I've had any incidental damages with it were when I either dosed too much at once, or when I failed to turn off the pumps before spot-dosing.
Thank you

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm in PNW, Vancouver baby! Lol hi everyone. Anyone want to trade? Lol I have so many tanks. 120,75,65,50lowboy,40breeder,waterbox20,20L and a couple dried out ones waiting for me to get to them. Stuffed on in my 2b/2b condo near the mall. Hmu would also love the badge

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm in PNW, Vancouver baby! Lol hi everyone. Anyone want to trade? Lol I have so many tanks. 120,75,65,50lowboy,40breeder,waterbox20,20L and a couple dried out ones waiting for me to get to them. Stuffed on in my 2b/2b condo near the mall. Hmu would also love the badge
Just some pictures of the setups.
Screenshot_20220626-171727_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-171721_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-171713_Gallery.jpg

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone in the Lewiston and Clarkston area need/ want any pulsing xenia?? I have lots to share, it's done fantastic in my tank and I'm ready to clear some out. Have some on frag plugs ready to go and more that are attaching to rubble right now. Local meet up only, I'm not prepared to ship.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings All,

I’m new to Whidbey Island and will be starting a nano this fall to jump back into the hobby. Finishing some home remodeling before I can get setup. Can anyone share any good shops I should try to visit? Thanks in advance!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seakings. Seattle corals is only open on weekends.
Barrier reef aquariums. Kinda tucked away hidden behind a dentist office. It's almost like going in the back door but it's their front.
Also in Silverdale theirs shark reef. Great store but a bit of a stretch for me.

Local petcos are hit or miss.
D

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings All,

I’m new to Whidbey Island and will be starting a nano this fall to jump back into the hobby. Finishing some home remodeling before I can get setup. Can anyone share any good shops I should try to visit? Thanks in advance!
Hey there, welcome aboard from another whidbey native hahah

Where on whidbey are you located?

We are in Freeland ;)

As stated above, Bellevue has some cool spots...

Nimas closing his Seattle coral location and combining it with his seaking location. He wants to have the best shop in the PNW and he just got in some new tanks to freshen up the look. He gets in some great stuff quite often.

Saltwater city is another cool shop but a little smaller and more cozy. Trevs the owner and will accommodate and try to get you anything he can.

Barrier reef is ok but some of their crew has issues and give really bad advice.
While we really like Cy the owner, their Saltwater section has gone south recently and they have started a freshwater section. lt does have that backdoor kind of feeling which is kind of cool haha

We do have 1 Saltwater pet store on the island and I'd feel real bad if I didn't mention it to help support our locals.

Brian at island pet center in oakharbor started us on our saltwater journey. While they don't have all the fancy coral you want, he does carry the essentials if you run out of something and need it in a pinch. You do pay some island prices but it's really nice to have him available. In August he always runs his half off sale of everything.

His customer service is also top notch. He knows enough to help as well ;)

The 1 thing I'd say to invest in is a good rodi system.

If you are on a well we have good water here on the island but it's really really hard and full of tannins depending on where you live. City water isn't much better lol

We ended up having culligan come out and install a small city system to get what we needed for our system.

If you end up needing water in a pinch just hit us up :winking-face-with-tongue: :zany-face:

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back