Attn CORAL DIVERS...we wanna hear stories from you!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attn CORAL DIVERS.....

I'm opening a Thread for YOU to tell us Non Divers some cool stories!! Maybe share some PICS!!!!!

* What's the coolest fish you've encountered?

* What's your favorite coral to look at while diving?

* Seen anything strange, unusual and UNEXPLAINED?

* What's the BEST dive you ever had and why?

* What's the WORST dive you ever had and why?

Stories, stories, stories.... we will all enjoy and be intrigued by your stories. And PICS!!

Please share!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Attn CORAL DIVERS.....

I'm opening a Thread for YOU to tell us Non Divers some cool stories!! Maybe share some PICS!!!!!

* What's the coolest fish you've encountered?

* What's your favorite coral to look at while diving?

* Seen anything strange, unusual and UNEXPLAINED?

* What's the BEST dive you ever had and why?

* What's the WORST dive you ever had and why?

Stories, stories, stories.... we will all enjoy and be intrigued by your stories. And PICS!!

Please share!

YES!!! I'd love to see this stuff shared!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cool thread !! Are we talking professional divers or vacationers that go diving such as myself?

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an avid diver and I olny dived around the Caribbean.

The one image I treasure is this giant Porities colony with hundreds of Christmas tree worms. As I passed over it, they started retrieving; and it was as if a cluster of fireworks went off underwater. To say that I was mesmerized would be an understatement.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many who know me know that I frequent the carribean. lately its' been Florida as we are relocating there.
I have been to Virgin Islands, curacao, Bahamas X2, Barbados, St. Thomas, Grand cayman Islands (great if you love turtles, Cancun, Cozumel and Jamaica X 14.
My best diving experience has been in the Bahamas. My best photo opportunity has been Jamaica. My biggest disappointment has been Key West,Florida as we went on a rough day and all we saw was some sargent majors and LOTS of gold seaweed.
Some pics from Jamaica (SORRY FOR FUZZY, DISCOLORED images AS WE AT THAT TIME WERE USING A FUJI 8O FEET DEPTH UNDERWATER CAMERA AND WERE AT OVER 90 FEET DEEP.) The best activity of sealife was where we anchored with the ladder system between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios

underwater7.jpg
underwater44.jpg
underwater51.jpg
underwater33.jpg
underwater49.jpg
underwater73.jpg
underwater6.jpg
underwater1.jpg
underwater42.jpg
underwater41.jpg
underwater48.jpg
underwater68.jpg

mia1.jpg
Miami 2018 fuji pics 036.JPG
Miami 2018 fuji pics 047.JPG
Miami 2018 fuji pics 034.JPG
Miami 2018 fuji pics 035.JPG

Last edited:

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many who know me know that I frequent the carribean. lately its' been Florida as we are relocating there.
I have been to Virgin Islands, curacao, Bahamas X2, Barbados, St. Thomas, Grand cayman Islands (great if you love turtles, Cancun, Cozumel and Jamaica X 14.
My best diving experience has been in the Bahamas. My best photo opportunity has been Jamaica. My biggest disappointment has been Key West,Florida as we went on a rough day and all we saw was some sargent majors and LOTS of gold seaweed.
Some pics from Jamaica (SORRY FOR FUZZY, DISCOLORED images AS WE AT THAT TIME WERE USING A FUJI 8O FEET DEPTH UNDERWATER CAMERA AND WERE AT OVER 90 FEET DEEP.) The best activity of selfie was where we anchored with the ladder system between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios

underwater7.jpg
underwater44.jpg
underwater51.jpg
underwater33.jpg
underwater49.jpg
underwater73.jpg
underwater6.jpg
underwater1.jpg
underwater42.jpg
underwater41.jpg
underwater48.jpg
underwater68.jpg

mia1.jpg
Miami 2018 fuji pics 036.JPG
Miami 2018 fuji pics 047.JPG
Miami 2018 fuji pics 034.JPG
Where at in FL?? Fellow Wisconsin transplant (though I was only 1 year old) here

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Where at in FL?? Fellow Wisconsin transplant (though I was only 1 year old) here
Was at Mile One, Key west. Went on a catamaran (last 3 pics)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one time in 1996 I had the amazing opportunity to immediately quit my job at radioshack in college and go to grand cayman to live there for sixty days which I relished and would do over in a heartbeat. There's a club on grand cayman called Sharky's and Grace Jones was in there dancing next to us with her giant bodyguards, amazing.

my first dive after cert was a 100 ft night dive at 1 am, those dive master rascals. took to the water like a fish, we dove the great wall off GC that goes down six thousand feet. it literally felt like a whale was going to eat me the whole time. there's a famous all black stingray at stingray city /GC that's been there since the 70s I think its still alive. got to see that one it was neat

*the reef was a mix of clear awesome corals and abutments of GHA and patches of cyano, its wasn't totally pristine like we strive for in our tanks. something was feeding a gazillion grazers for sure. that's where I learned that the balanced reef in great condition still grows green hair algae, it doesn't mean bad water params are in play. It means algae is adapted just like corals to reefing.

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here are four photos that I have taken. The first is a Nassau grouper at Cayman Brac. They can be quite friendly. The divemasters carry Spears to kill invasive lionfish. The Nassau grouper will follow them to pick up a snack. Some grouper will even lead the divemaster to a lionfish and point like a bird dog.

The next photo is a slender file fish on a sponge. Great looking fish and often only an inch and a half long. They woukd probably work well in reef Aquaria.

The third fish is a Goliath grouper on the wall at the Brac. It was young and about 5’ long and under 200 lbs. But it was a beautiful one with nice markings.

The last fish is a yellow hamlet.

E3E79B9E-5D32-4833-A1B3-02AF7CFD6C9B.jpeg CF75BAC5-2705-4F6F-92F5-9CC2D6D3E395.jpeg 3B9CE4C6-3BAC-4613-9FFC-46889F88BFE7.jpeg 058DFB82-A3DD-4DBD-A978-53C15075DAA7.jpeg

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a dive instructor and spent a year living on bonaire and have dove in a lot of the Caribbean. For all of you who are non divers but love saltwater tanks you need to get certified, it truly is amazing. That said my favorite type of diving is actually shipwreck diving, its like seeing history frozen in time. I dove a couple of weekends ago in lake michigan and dove a 3 masted schooner that rests at 150'. Totally intact, including all the rigging, anchors and its masts are knocked over but still on the deck. The ship went down in 1891 with complete loss of crew and cargo, it was mesmerizing. That said I do have some pretty pictures of pretty fish, my favorite is the juvenille spotted drum myself though I don't have a good picture of it since they're so small and hard to find. My other favorite is diving with sharks! Here are a couple of my pictures I have taken over the years including some wrecks for you all to see!
Coral Banded Shrimp.jpg
Grouper.jpg
Yellow sponge 2.jpg
File Fish 2.jpg
Crab thing.jpg
Nurse shark 1.jpg
P 31 (2).jpg
Gear box.png
Bomber 4 (2).jpg
Fins (2).jpg
Faroud Starfish (2).jpg
Caribsea 1.png
Banded Cleaner Shrimp+anenome.jpg
Turtle 2.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am a dive instructor and spent a year living on bonaire and have dove in a lot of the Caribbean. For all of you who are non divers but love saltwater tanks you need to get certified, it truly is amazing. That said my favorite type of diving is actually shipwreck diving, its like seeing history frozen in time. I dove a couple of weekends ago in lake michigan and dove a 3 masted schooner that rests at 150'. Totally intact, including all the rigging, anchors and its masts are knocked over but still on the deck. The ship went down in 1891 with complete loss of crew and cargo, it was mesmerizing. That said I do have some pretty pictures of pretty fish, my favorite is the juvenille spotted drum myself though I don't have a good picture of it since they're so small and hard to find. My other favorite is diving with sharks! Here are a couple of my pictures I have taken over the years including some wrecks for you all to see!
Coral Banded Shrimp.jpg
Grouper.jpg
Yellow sponge 2.jpg
File Fish 2.jpg
Crab thing.jpg
Nurse shark 1.jpg
P 31 (2).jpg
Gear box.png
Bomber 4 (2).jpg
Fins (2).jpg
Faroud Starfish (2).jpg
Caribsea 1.png
Banded Cleaner Shrimp+anenome.jpg
Turtle 2.png
beautiful shots !! I need a NEW underwater camera

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolest fish: 25' Whale Shark off the coast of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
Coolest coral: Montipora patula, endemic to Hawaii.
Most unusual: A tiny stony coral under an overhang at 100'. To this day have no idea as to ID.
Best dive: Napali Coast, Kauai. Water was full of blacktip sharks, barracuda, stone fishes. Water was extremely rough and our little fiberglass boat jumped from wave to wave on the way back to Port Arthur. Beautiful coastline. The captain rode a wave into a giant lava tube whose ceiling had collapsed - it was like a huge cathedral. Unforgettable day.
Worst dive: Regulator failure at 140 feet. Getting a mouthful of water when you're expecting air is not any fun at that depth.

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful shots !! I need a NEW underwater camera
Lighting is as important as the camera, I have a big old strobe on mine and still want another tbh. Another important feature is good buoyancy and trim! I was horrible with my camera early on when I was a crappy diver. After going through my tech courses and then instructor course suddenly my pictures got better even though the rig hadn't changed!

Back