Attn; Everyone in Florida Selling Corals! Must Read!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was posted on my local club site by one of our club board members. This actully really really sucks!

I recently spoke with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DOACS) in Tallahassee about licenses for legally farming and selling corals in Florida. Our forums are apparently being watched by stores and individuals, and with MACNA coming up soon this is becoming a more critical issue for people and businesses who are selling and trading corals and fish.

If you apply for the DOACS Aquaculture Certificate, that agency is the one who will oversee your activities as an Agriculture Farmer, whether an individual or a business. This is the key - you are FARMING corals.

Once you have that Agriculture License to FARM corals, you can legally sell, ship and deliver your corals as either a retailer or wholesaler - whether on the forums, websites, to other individuals, stores, ship in state and out of state. Basically that one license is all that is needed, and the cost is only $100/year. The year runs July 1 - June 30. It does require an inspection of your facilities which should take approximately 30 min. Basically they look to make sure you're not taking live rock from the ocean and check out how you dispose of your waste water. They are very resonable people to deal with. They have 2 agents in the Central Florida area assigned to work with us. After the inspection they will issue a FDA card and number, the number to be written on all purchases and shipments.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission(FWCC) is a totally separate agency. These are the guys that can write tickets, confiscate live rock, check out your lobster catch, snails, etc. They have a reputation of picking out the little guy and making an example of him. We know of someone here in the club who was singled out, and the inspector told me stories of the FWCC going after someone who was simply selling a yellow tang on Craig's List.

The Saltwater Fishing License is required for collecting in Florida and is issued by the FWCC.

The Saltwater Products License is also an FWCC License. This license was not really designed for coral farming, however this agency is apparently using it for that purpose. There are different licenses for retail ($25/yr) and wholesale dealers ($$$ I hear). I've heard additional licenses may be needed for shipping, but don't really know all the facts here. Basically, if you have this type of license you are telling the FWWC you want them to regulate you, not the DOACS.

The DOACS has warned us that, as Coral Farmers, we should try to NOT have the Saltwater Products License for coral farming as it is much more restricive, and additional licenses may also be required. Plus they can still issue fines.

The point here is that if for some reason you are contacted by the FWCC they may tell you that you have to have the Saltwater Products License to sell corals. And they may try to fine you if you do not have one. And/or require you to buy several different licenses to do whatever you are doing.

If you already have the Florida Agriculture License which states that you are a FARMER, you are choosing to be regulated by the DOACS. The DOACS trumps anything the FWCC may come up with. The DOACS are very reasonable people and have a good understanding of agriculture and coral farming. I've already applied for the Agriculture Certification.

Phone Number:
850-488-4033

Their website is:
Aquaculture Certification Program, Licensing Permits Registrations - FDACS

Here's their form:
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/forms/15106.pdf

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks and is kinda weird, I'm glad great old NJ doesnt have somthing like that. I am courious as to what retailers have to pay since there are many in the FL area.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's freaking nuts!!!!! So when I decide to get out of the hobby what do they expect???? Flush it all and put them purty purple rocks in your front yard.... Glad Nevada hasn't gone there... I can see buisness pushing this issue since local clubs do take some of there buisness but not much from whAt I have seen Vegas.... The local store owners out here said the reef club is only about 2% of there buisness....:( arrrrrr...

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats dumb they take your money but when it comes to them spending money to prevent things that affect the oceans they also want the money for you

Triggerman77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its because people in florida can can go pick up coral anytime and sell it. illegally dont think CT,NV or HJ has a coral reef 1min from ur house. that u could go for a swim and collect corals to sell

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can collect if we go down to south florida. But the FWC will find you. I understand it in same ways but it sucks. I am worried because this is almost like a business license. Well I am unemployed right now. If I get a business license I am self employed and loose unemployment. I dont know how this works. I will be calling the FWC on Monday with some more questions for them to figure some stuff out. Maybe some of the stores here in Florida will comment on this.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can collect if we go down to south florida. But the FWC will find you. I understand it in same ways but it sucks. I am worried because this is almost like a business license. Well I am unemployed right now. If I get a business license I am self employed and loose unemployment. I dont know how this works. I will be calling the FWC on Monday with some more questions for them to figure some stuff out. Maybe some of the stores here in Florida will comment on this.

Blazin, most states (not sure about FL) allow you to have a job and still collect unemplyoyment but there are financial restrictions on how much income you can make and still file unemployment claims. Chances are you would not be selling anywhere near the allotted amount of coral to keep you from collecting your unemployment benefits. This is crazy though. I guess one of the above posters is correct....since it is much easier for FL residents to collect specimens and live rock, I guess they have to regulate it somehow, but I haven't seen big cases in the news where this was an issue.

I would be freaked out if someone showed up at my door to inspect my live rock....lol. I would likely tell them to get a warrant. : )

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just another way the state is trying to generate money.they see us make a few measly bucks and want their cut.it's totally absurd for them to consider a hobbiest as a business.I sell some frags once in a while but am certainly NOT a business.the money I get from selling frags goes to buying new corals(state makes taxes on)and buying equipment(state makes taxes on)and helps offset power bills(again state geta taxes on).god forbid you sell a $10 frag and the state doesn't get their cut.it really is sad to see this kind of crap happen.To the state of Florida"is there anything you won't tax us on or make us pay for a license for?"

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is crap... i think that it is extremely unfair and will hurt the hobby... I guess i do understand the fact that the reef is right down the street. but this just seems wrong 100 bucks that is a lot of money. so i am assuming these people will be all over the forums? Next they will probably charge you to just keep a reef tank

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we in florida dont have a "reef" so to speak.not a single sps or lps is harvested from the reefs in florida that i know of.the only coral that i can think of is ricordia(which can easily be propped)in our tanks.so the reality is that our "reefs"are not being pilferred like the reefs around the world.it is just the states way to generate more money.it really is stupid,we have sooooo many other problems here to worry about.panhandlers on almost every street corner,pill mills all over the place,and they worry about trying to make us pay for a license to sell a few frags once in a while when we clearly arent making a profit and are NOT a buisness.whats next,making us buy carbon credits to offset our farts?my lord!!!!!

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow every one wants a little piece of the pie, lol i hope this doesnt migrate up to sc were ill be moving to in a few months

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a good thread to bring up. F&W is a corrupt its been proven many times especially in the state of FL. this is not the only state like this. look back to the burmese python farse. actually the majority of the regs past by f&w period anywhere in this country is not pressed by citizens. its pressed by insurance companies, animal rights activists, and lobbyists.
its always been this way and always will be when you have a government entity which is not regulated or overseen by anyone. they are not bound by any rules or even the constitution nor bill of rights

chasethis1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information to start. Then all the whining about a little regulation. So far I have found that there has been no harm done to the hobby because of it. Nothing wrong with trying to make legitimate business out of some of these "hobbyist". The state is watching craigslist and the facebook groups yes. They are looking for those that are posting over and over and over and over. They are not going after those that are posting the occasional frag here and there.
If you want to sell coral in Florida, then you should follow the rules. There are rules in place for many different types of businesses. I see this as a way of protecting the business side of things for those that choose to sell corals etc, to make their livings.

Back