auguri Butterfly treatment question

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came 3 weeks ago and had a red spot on him. Wasn’t sure if it was bacterial or Uronema but treated him with Furan 2..(2 rounds) .didn’t go away and actually a few new spots. So did another round of Furan 2 and added Metro to food. Still didn’t go away. So put him in a new smaller hospital tank and used Maracyn Two combined with Metro in food. After the 6 days the spots are pretty much gone but can’t be 100% positive. Although I did a 30% water change I dosed it again so water is cloudy. And he never turns on that side for me to see real well: must have something to do with the powerhead. But should I go ahead and complete another round of Maracyn or do you think he’s been through enough? I never see him eat much and I’m anxious to get him into the FOWLR tank so he’ll peck at the rocks and I’ll know he’s eating something.

Whatever he had though he was with a Pearlscale Butterfly that never caught whatever he had. We’ve had Uronema before and the fish have died within days of getting them. Tuesday will be 4 weeks of having this guy so leaning more towards a bacterial infection.

ETA: I got a picture from the back side and looks like the newer spots are still there a little bit and the first original one is gone so I’m going to go ahead and finish this round and pray he doesn’t starve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you luck. Does the angel still appear to have good weight?

He seems to be the same size as when I got him so doesn’t look like he’s lost weight. He probably pecks at the fake plants and grass when no one is around...otherwise I don’t think he’d have lasted this long. And changing tanks on him probably messed with him too.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came 3 weeks ago and had a red spot on him. Wasn’t sure if it was bacterial or Uronema but treated him with Furan 2..(2 rounds) .didn’t go away and actually a few new spots. So did another round of Furan 2 and added Metro to food. Still didn’t go away. So put him in a new smaller hospital tank and used Maracyn Two combined with Metro in food. After the 6 days the spots are pretty much gone but can’t be 100% positive. Although I did a 30% water change I dosed it again so water is cloudy. And he never turns on that side for me to see real well: must have something to do with the powerhead. But should I go ahead and complete another round of Maracyn or do you think he’s been through enough? I never see him eat much and I’m anxious to get him into the FOWLR tank so he’ll peck at the rocks and I’ll know he’s eating something.

Whatever he had though he was with a Pearlscale Butterfly that never caught whatever he had. We’ve had Uronema before and the fish have died within days of getting them. Tuesday will be 4 weeks of having this guy so leaning more towards a bacterial infection.

ETA: I got a picture from the back side and looks like the newer spots are still there a little bit and the first original one is gone so I’m going to go ahead and finish this round and pray he doesn’t starve.

I posted an article on Uronema yesterday - not a lot of good treatment options I'm afraid, but you might want to read it just for basic information.

I've had butterflyfish go months without eating and they don't show weight loss very much at all. If you aren't seeing it eat, it probably isn't. You should fix that issue before moving it to a tank with other fish. Bear in mind that metronidazole is very bitter, and will often put fish off their feed.

Can yu post a short video of the fishh to give us a better sense of how it looks?

Jay

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted an article on Uronema yesterday - not a lot of good treatment options I'm afraid, but you might want to read it just for basic information.

I've had butterflyfish go months without eating and they don't show weight loss very much at all. If you aren't seeing it eat, it probably isn't. You should fix that issue before moving it to a tank with other fish. Bear in mind that metronidazole is very bitter, and will often put fish off their feed.

Can yu post a short video of the fishh to give us a better sense of how it looks?

Jay

Hey Jay....I talked to you before about this same fish. I posted a video then as well. He looks a lot better. You could be right about the metro too. I’m also giving him flakes and live brine so hopefully he’s eating some of that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay....I talked to you before about this same fish. I posted a video then as well. He looks a lot better. You could be right about the metro too. I’m also giving him flakes and live brine so hopefully he’s eating some of that.

Thanks - I get mixed up with who has fish with what issues (grin). Just ignore me if I repeat myself!

Jay

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no worries, I appreciate your help!

So hey Jay....he died looks like early this morning because he’s still very soft. He was on his second round of Mac2 and his spots are basically gone. I checked all his parameters last night and they were perfect. The only thing I noticed different when I found him was his air stone wasn’t working. I do have a powerhead in the tank that is pointed at the surface agitating it quite well so not sure the air stone not working is the reason he passed or not. What do you think? This a pic of him of the side that had the sores on him. He fought this a month and we were nearing the finish line. I’m so sad :(

B2D2972F-25B3-4EBB-9FFD-21D5551DA89E.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Just one long shot: if you still have the deceased fish, give it a 10 minute soak in tap water, then let the water settle and look at the bottom of the container for any possible debris that could be flukes...

Jay

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Just one long shot: if you still have the deceased fish, give it a 10 minute soak in tap water, then let the water settle and look at the bottom of the container for any possible debris that could be flukes...

Jay

Okay, will do that

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, will do that

I don’t see anything on the bottom. Just stuff floating on the top that could’ve come from the sides of the Tupperware bowl, you know nasty those can get. Do these look like flukes floating? Never seen them in person.

1FF7175E-FAFD-4F7E-9C35-E379C4C85283.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, flukes would settle to the bottom, not float like that. It was a long shot, but I just wanted to see....

Jay

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, flukes would settle to the bottom, not float like that. It was a long shot, but I just wanted to see....

Jay

So you don’t think the air stone quitting working didn’t have anything to do with it? It’s a 10G hospital tank with the filter water movement and water head surface agitation. I would think that’d be sufficient. Maybe he just wasn’t eating. But I did see him eating while he was in the first tank, just not the past 8 days after moving him to smaller tank and different meds.

All 3 fish (over $200) I got from that vendor has all died now. The swallowtail I think was Uronema as he died quickly. The Pearlscale I think was the PH. I didn’t think to regularly check it while the tank was being medicated as I didn’t think it would have that affect on it but when I found him struggling it was so low it wasn’t even on the color charts :( That same PH however didn’t kill this Auriga at the same time, didn’t seem to bother it at all so I just don’t know. I hate they only give give you 7 day guarantee and then give you credit instead of refund so can’t buy from someone else

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the airstone quitting may not have helped, but as long as the surface agitation was breaking at the surface, I don't think it was the sole factor.

Actually, a 7 day guarantee is pretty good! I had a mail order fish business back in the early 1980's and I only offered live delivery (although I was basically selling at wholesale prices, so people were ok with that).

Did you buy your fish from a local or mail order vendor? If local, did you keep them apprised of the issues? Back when I managed a pet store, if I sold a fish and then had problems with other fish in the group later on, if the customer contacted me, I would cover the loss.

Jay

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the airstone quitting may not have helped, but as long as the surface agitation was breaking at the surface, I don't think it was the sole factor.

Actually, a 7 day guarantee is pretty good! I had a mail order fish business back in the early 1980's and I only offered live delivery (although I was basically selling at wholesale prices, so people were ok with that).

Did you buy your fish from a local or mail order vendor? If local, did you keep them apprised of the issues? Back when I managed a pet store, if I sold a fish and then had problems with other fish in the group later on, if the customer contacted me, I would cover the loss.

Jay

It was an online vendor. Even a 14 day wouldn’t of mattered with this one as he made it a month for passing :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back