Aurora Metal Halides

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered one of the 36” Blueline Fixtures that you have on clearance. Awesome deal. Thanks!

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ChampionLighting Which ballast connection does the light use? Is it the computer connection or the 3 prong in the picture?

76E5D075-6ECC-4A2D-B8CB-D021FBDF6179.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!
The harness on the lights is the computer monitor style.

mh_harness.jpg
Sorry one last question, I’m assuming you need a ballast for each halide light correct? The description is kinda confusing as it says 2 lights then mentions one power cord

ChampionLighting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 36" Aurora has 4 cords:
2 x metal halide harnesses
1 x Fan & T5 power cord (ballast is internal)
1 x moonlight power cord.

The 36" Aurora has 5 cords:
3 x metal halide harnesses
1 x Fan & T5 power cord (ballast is internal)
1 x moonlight power cord.

ChampionLighting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just added lamp packages to this deal.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just added lamp packages to this deal.

Is there anyway to add it without having to buy another fixture?

Also any plans to add a ballast package?

ChampionLighting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can reply to your order confirmation requesting to add the lamp package to your order and we will send you a paypal invoice for it.

We don't have any old stock ballast available to offer kits.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the light fixture delivered. It is brand new in box, manufactured in 02/2011. I’m not concerned at all though.

With that said, it was a pleasant surprise to see that it does come with an adaptor to connect to any ballast, however I’ll have to buy new ballasts as I am just getting into metal halide.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefing102, what ballasts did you get? Can you tell me about your experience setting this up? I personally love MH and have used them for years. My current set-up has become outdated (when I wasn't looking, they stopped making the bulbs to fit my fixture!). I'm looking at the BlueLine fixtures from ChampionLighting, but need to know what ballasts to get before I pull the trigger on these.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefing102, what ballasts did you get? Can you tell me about your experience setting this up? I personally love MH and have used them for years. My current set-up has become outdated (when I wasn't looking, they stopped making the bulbs to fit my fixture!). I'm looking at the BlueLine fixtures from ChampionLighting, but need to know what ballasts to get before I pull the trigger on these.
So I believe champion has the blue line ballasts as well, however due to cost constraints, I went with cheap oddysea ballasts from eBay

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back to me @Reefing102. How are you liking the Odyssea ballasts? Any issues or surprises?
Honestly no complaints. One of them has a hum (but not noticeable unless right next to it). They do not come in manufacturer packaging, just loose wrapped in bubble wrap. They do get quite warm but I have them mounted on the outside of my stand so it doesn’t affect tank temp that way. They have powered up my halides with no issue.

Now if you’re a person who likes a quiet tank, the fan for my fixture is quite loud but it doesn’t affect anything due to the room it’s in.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as setting it up, it was pretty straight forward. I have mine mounted 10” above the tank. I do not have a par meter so can’t tell you anything as far as that goes but my corals seem to love it.

The instructions for the hanging kit are lacking to say the least but it’s not too difficult to figure out.

something to note is this is an older fixture, based on manufacture date (I forget what mine was) but it is new in box

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks a lot. I'm going ahead and getting it too.

No surprise about the date of manufacture - about 10 years ago IIRC. MH / T5 fixtures are generally pretty robust. I have two rather nice ones about the same age - unfortunately they use double-pin MH bulbs, which I can no longer locate in the correct color spectrum. If I could find a source of the bulbs, I'd buy up a batch and keep going with what I have.

My wife asks why I don't just go to LEDs? The answer is that I just really have had great success with MH / T5 over the years, growing SPS, and want to stick with a tried-and-true method for growing great corals. And honestly, the price for these lights is too good to pass up.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the price is right. I bought this as an interim. My goal is to buy a set of Hamilton Cozumel Halides and then add a couple T5. There’s a guy local to me that has lumen bright minis w/ ballasts that are really tempting but not sure on the look of lumenbright

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good taste on your part. I was actually considering the Hamilton Cebu Sun 250W x 2 + T5s. But these, at between a quarter and a fifth of the price, even for much less light, were a good value and should provide at least equal lighting to the current fixture that I'm replacing. Eventually these lights will go over another tank, currently running 1 x 150W MH + 4 T5s, when I move on to the Hamilton.

Thanks again for letting me know your experiences with the Aurora fixture. Mine should be here soon.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back