!!!AUSSIE SPATH COLONIES KIND OF SUCK!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's true. These things look insane, and I do mean insane, fresh off the boat. Glowing metallic gradients cascade down their protruding horseshoe corallites, in a near perfect wash. It's a thing of true awe, and what make Aussie Spathulata almost impossible to pass up the first time you meet.

By the second time, having lost the first ones to tissue necrosis, or repulsive color shifts, you're a little more weary but just as confident you'll be able to do it. "This batch will hold that amazing color!" Wrong again! And so it goes on and on, with wild Aussie Spaths. I admit that it was with tremendous reluctance that I finally caved again, after a couple years of saying "no" to these tempestuous wonders, certainly the lowest hanging of all fruit, and took a few home.

Now, the good news is that these two colonies are not fresh off the boat anymore. That majestic wild color has dulled up for sure, but hasn't checked out for good. They are looking alright, and after a solid month QT, I am totally willing to let some bold reefer take a chance on them. Will they stay this color? I can't say at all. No guarantee in any way that they will actually. In fact its very likely that they will get pretty ugly long before they get pretty again, but if you feel like taking risk on a coral who's reward may be far beyond exceptional, then here we are...

Two Aussie Spath colonies. One roughly 6-7" the other about 4"

IMG_9897_zps38fdxjem.jpg

IMG_9899_zpsfq8zpzoa.jpg

IMG_9900_zps7jb93yfm.jpg

Last edited:

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's definitely something lacking. I've never seen a person successfully keeping the vibrant colors of this coral. Maybe our nutrient level is too high? Maybe the light intensity and spectrum isn't right? We need to compare with tanks that successfully kept those colors.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the thing that our life is that it's at least established in a tank for a while so probably going to survive will it turn brown and stay Brown probably

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a wild acro colony in my tank that I have had for years and never knew what it was,now I do! (I think) thick millie,blue with yellow underneath a lot of polyp extension,will post a pick later today.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a wild acro colony in my tank that I have had for years and never knew what it was,now I do! (I think) thick millie,blue with yellow underneath a lot of polyp extension,will post a pick later today.

Sweet man would love to see a pic if you feel like sharing. I do know for a fact that these things can survive and do well even in captivity. But the recipe for success is not really clear yet. You may have beaten the odds with yours witch is awesome.

thanks for the post!

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a bad luck to keep spathulata

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for two yrs now. I would not recommend them as they are tough to keep and they are the type of sps that are easy to give up on. If you try one I'd suggest you have a mature tank.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can do well. Before I moved to the US I had one that did well for several years and looked good. It was literally right in front of a Tunze 6105 on full blast and about 1" below the surface (about 800 PAR on my homemade LED unit). I sold it when I moved here though, it maybe still going.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can do well. Before I moved to the US I had one that did well for several years and looked good. It was literally right in front of a Tunze 6105 on full blast and about 1" below the surface (about 800 PAR on my homemade LED unit). I sold it when I moved here though, it maybe still going.
You should hit up the buyer... that would be an interesting update.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great price Adam! I love Spathulata even though they can be finky. Here is a pic of mine. Only had it for 8 months. 1st pic is what it looks like now and 2nd was from when i received it 8 months back.

RenderedContent-604A4201-5E33-4347-BF6E-38C9E4D03A21.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

Nice! Ok see, its possible! That looks really good. Way different clearly but those colors have definitely settled in, in a good way. I really like the tips. Is that one getting any kind of special treatment at all? Maybe I should hang on to these...

DeepWaterAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For these we might need ULN conditions. Aussie handlers also use copper and zinc to reduce brown and pop the metallic color.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back