Australian Harlequin Tusk for sale

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6" Australian Harlequin Tusk I would be willing to part with for $150 cash (firm) to a good home. No trades. Local pick up only / no shipping.

I have had him for almost one year, but I'm making more room for a new purple and hippo tang I've ordered. He has been a model citizen and would do well in a fish only system or in a reef tank of adequate size (I'd say a 4 foot or longer tank would be minimum). Note, Tusks will eat most snails, crabs, and may eat shrimp (although existing shrimp may be okay). I can't comment on how they would do with clams. Small fish such as chromis might be at risk of being eaten, and existing wrasses may be an issue, as the Tusk is part of the wrasse family and may not mix well with other wrasses. They will get along with just about any fish. Note, although they look big and mean, Harlequin Tusks are fairly mild mannered, so I would caution anyone thinking they want to add a Tusk to an existing tank that has established aggressive fish such as triggers (although adding a trigger after the tusk would be okay depending on the trigger). As far as corals, Tusks will not bother any of your corals, although any new frag added to rock work needs to be glued down securely as the Tusk is inclined to turn new frag plugs up looking for food underneath them. Tusks are big eaters, and will eat about anything you put in a tank. They prefer meatier foods such as squid, mussel, squid, mysis shrimp, krill, formula one, but will also eat formula two or even seaweed.

Link / web address below to Live Aquaria for more information on Harlequin Tusks in general. If anyone has additional questions, just send me a PM.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+380&pcatid=380

Harlequin Tusk 2.jpg
Harlequin Tusk 1.jpg
Harlequin Tusk 3.jpg

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my frag racks arrive this week ill shoot you a pm if still available. Very nice informative post :)

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my frag racks arrive this week ill shoot you a pm if still available. Very nice informative post :)
Still available. I actually caught him yesterday and have removed him from the main tank to a smaller separate temporary tank till I sell him.

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, my Australian Harlequin Tusk has passed. I found him this morning and immediately began brainstorming what might have happened. Was it an ammonia spike? Stray voltage? Shock of being transferred to a new tank? Contamination? Well, to make a long story short, I noticed my separate heater I use for my temporary quarantine tank was on. I checked the water temperature because I had not bothered to put a thermometer or temperature gauge in the tank when I set it up the other night. At 92+ degrees and climbing, I pulled the thermometer out in disgust and figured mystery solved. A stupid stuck heater and my laziness of not putting a $2 thermometer in the tank to monitor temperature has me going through the 5 stages of grief this morning. Note, I run 3 undersized heaters in my display tank and have them connected to a temperature controller (and have a second temperature gauge for confirmation of temperatures ) to avoid this sort of thing. Public service announcement: If you aren't using multiple redundancy or other failsafes in your main tank, you may regret it. Don't risk it and don't be lazy like I was, even in your QT setups.

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, my Australian Harlequin Tusk has passed. I found him this morning and immediately began brainstorming what might have happened. Was it an ammonia spike? Stray voltage? Shock of being transferred to a new tank? Contamination? Well, to make a long story short, I noticed my separate heater I use for my temporary quarantine tank was on. I checked the water temperature because I had not bothered to put a thermometer or temperature gauge in the tank when I set it up the other night. At 92+ degrees and climbing, I pulled the thermometer out in disgust and figured mystery solved. A stupid stuck heater and my laziness of not putting a $2 thermometer in the tank to monitor temperature has me going through the 5 stages of grief this morning. Note, I run 3 undersized heaters in my display tank and have them connected to a temperature controller (and have a second temperature gauge for confirmation of temperatures ) to avoid this sort of thing. Public service announcement: If you aren't using multiple redundancy or other failsafes in your main tank, you may regret it. Don't risk it and don't be lazy like I was, even in your QT setups.
dually noted. bout to go home and fix my life lol

Back