Auto feeding Reef Nutrition

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so now have a mini fridge and Doser set up to start auto feeding Reef Nutrition.

I’ve seen from other comments that there’s no issue diluting PhytoFeast with rodi (saltwater for Phyto live). But I just wanted to confirm that there’s no issue diluting the others (roe, oyster feast, mysis, etc).

@Reef Nutrition is that all fine?

Cheers, Tony

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so now have a mini fridge and Doser set up to start auto feeding Reef Nutrition.

I’ve seen from other comments that there’s no issue diluting PhytoFeast with rodi (saltwater for Phyto live). But I just wanted to confirm that there’s no issue diluting the others (roe, oyster feast, mysis, etc).

@Reef Nutrition is that all fine?

Cheers, Tony

Hey Tony,

Why are you diluting? You can just dose directly out of the individual bottles assuming you have enough channels on your doser to do it. We don't have enough information regarding dilution to say it can work as it's something we don't recommend with our products. Also, keep in mind that diluting them may cause the food to settle, so you will need to have a magnetic stirrer or something similar to agitate the product.

Chad

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tony,

Why are you diluting? You can just dose directly out of the individual bottles assuming you have enough channels on your doser to do it. We don't have enough information regarding dilution to say it can work as it's something we don't recommend with our products. Also, keep in mind that diluting them may cause the food to settle, so you will need to have a magnetic stirrer or something similar to agitate the product.

Chad
Hi there,

Just to make it easier to add small amounts. The aim being more, smaller, feeds throughout the day and night. I am running a GHL system with their doser. So I can use magnetic stirrers. I can also run the dosers in reverse and use bubbles to agitate.

Having said that I can also dose quite small amounts with them as well. So if you recommend against diluting then I can use straight from the bottle.

I have a 150g total volume system. Mixed tank leaning towards LPS, gorgonians and some NPS (with some "easy sps"). A variety of mainly smaller fish. It has being going for about 3yrs now, with Reef Nutrition a core part of it all along so thanks for that!

What would you recommend as a good mix to feed and how would you spread it out?

Cheers, Tony

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Just to make it easier to add small amounts. The aim being more, smaller, feeds throughout the day and night. I am running a GHL system with their doser. So I can use magnetic stirrers. I can also run the dosers in reverse and use bubbles to agitate.

Having said that I can also dose quite small amounts with them as well. So if you recommend against diluting then I can use straight from the bottle.

I have a 150g total volume system. Mixed tank leaning towards LPS, gorgonians and some NPS (with some "easy sps"). A variety of mainly smaller fish. It has being going for about 3yrs now, with Reef Nutrition a core part of it all along so thanks for that!

What would you recommend as a good mix to feed and how would you spread it out?

Cheers, Tony

Hey Tony,

Pulling straight from the bottles will be perfect for this application. Oyster-Feast, Phyto-Feast, R.O.E. and Mysis-Feast are all excellent ones to use. If you want to mix it up, you can swap out the Mysis-Feast for Arcti-Pods when you run out of either; you can alternate them. We also recommend that you get our TDO into an auto-feeder. You can mix different sizes so that all the fish can eat. Your corals will also eat the smaller pieces of TDO. Here is a link to the TDO product page for more information: https://reefnutrition.com/collections/tdo. Keep in mind that the "best by" dates for Oyster-Feast, Phyto-Feast and R.O.E. are 9 months, so if you are going through the product quickly, you can always use the 32 oz. bottles which will be much more economical.

It is good to feed small amounts multiple times a day. We recommend 1 TSP per 100 gallons per day total combine product at first, but if you are already using our products and you aren't experiencing any nutrient spikes, you can increase that dose up to 5 TSP per 100 gallons per day (total combined product). Our products are incredibly concentrated, so a little goes a long way. Our Phyto-Feast is 20 times as concentrated as our top competitor, so use it sparingly.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this conversation!

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tony,

Pulling straight from the bottles will be perfect for this application. Oyster-Feast, Phyto-Feast, R.O.E. and Mysis-Feast are all excellent ones to use. If you want to mix it up, you can swap out the Mysis-Feast for Arcti-Pods when you run out of either; you can alternate them. We also recommend that you get our TDO into an auto-feeder. You can mix different sizes so that all the fish can eat. Your corals will also eat the smaller pieces of TDO. Here is a link to the TDO product page for more information: https://reefnutrition.com/collections/tdo. Keep in mind that the "best by" dates for Oyster-Feast, Phyto-Feast and R.O.E. are 9 months, so if you are going through the product quickly, you can always use the 32 oz. bottles which will be much more economical.

It is good to feed small amounts multiple times a day. We recommend 1 TSP per 100 gallons per day total combine product at first, but if you are already using our products and you aren't experiencing any nutrient spikes, you can increase that dose up to 5 TSP per 100 gallons per day (total combined product). Our products are incredibly concentrated, so a little goes a long way. Our Phyto-Feast is 20 times as concentrated as our top competitor, so use it sparingly.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this conversation!

Best,
Chad
Ok, thanks, I’ll run them straight from the bottle as is then.

I will definitely spread it out throughout the day. That’s one of the main benefits I see from using this setup.

I think I have been feeding a couple of Tsps per day at this point but will gradually move that up to the 7mls or so to match my tank size I also feed chopped up LRS as well. I haven’t feed pellets to date, or any powdered coral food either for that matter. I have been looking for something more for the LPS though.... What size should I start with?

I also add a bottle of Tigger Pods every few months to replenish or as a treat for the Mandarins and others.

I would like to get the bigger bottles, but it is hard to get them with good best before dates up here in Canada. Fine for the small ones but pushing it for the medium size.

One question I have is which of the foods would be good to feed overnight as well, and which aren’t worth it / a better to keep for the daytime?

Cheers, Tony

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks, I’ll run them straight from the bottle as is then.

I will definitely spread it out throughout the day. That’s one of the main benefits I see from using this setup.

I think I have been feeding a couple of Tsps per day at this point but will gradually move that up to the 7mls or so to match my tank size I also feed chopped up LRS as well. I haven’t feed pellets to date, or any powdered coral food either for that matter. I have been looking for something more for the LPS though.... What size should I start with?

I also add a bottle of Tigger Pods every few months to replenish or as a treat for the Mandarins and others.

I would like to get the bigger bottles, but it is hard to get them with good best before dates up here in Canada. Fine for the small ones but pushing it for the medium size.

One question I have is which of the foods would be good to feed overnight as well, and which aren’t worth it / a better to keep for the daytime?

Cheers, Tony

Hey Tony,

Many corals, especially SPS, will feed at night. You could have Oyster-Feast dose in the night. With that being said, most of our customers feed during the day and this includes are coral farmers who dose manually.

You should reach out to your LFS before they place their next order so that you can get a fresh bottle that is a medium or large size. We have numerous customers that do this.

I really look forward to seeing this doser up and running!!! Please tag me if you post about it.

-Chad

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering auto dosing my oyster feast but my concern is that it would clog up the ddr tube that pulls from the ddr. would this be a problem? the suction tube inside the ddr appears smaller in diameter than standard rodi tubing. secondly, the hardware inside the ddr prevents me from applying a mag stirrer. thats mo big deal really. thoughts
Screenshot_20220119-213503_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering auto dosing my oyster feast but my concern is that it would clog up the ddr tube that pulls from the ddr. would this be a problem? the suction tube inside the ddr appears smaller in diameter than standard rodi tubing. secondly, the hardware inside the ddr prevents me from applying a mag stirrer. thats mo big deal really. thoughts
Screenshot_20220119-213503_Gallery.jpg
It won't clog the line. That narrow inner diameter is good since it won't allow too much food to sit in the line in between feedings.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose live PhytoFeast and was considering hooking it up to the doser. I was under the impression it had to be refrigerated though. Are you using a mini fridge to dose through or am I wrong about the need to keep it cold?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose live PhytoFeast and was considering hooking it up to the doser. I was under the impression it had to be refrigerated though. Are you using a mini fridge to dose through or am I wrong about the need to keep it cold?
You are not wrong. It does need to be kept refrigerated. Most people use mini fridges with a hole drill in the top, or where there aren't cooling coils.

Chad

Back