Auto-fill ATO Resevoir with Apex

dputt88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 33 gal barrel that I have been using as an ATO/ RODI tank. I want to make it so that my apex will atomatically fill it up when it gets near empty. then turn the RODI off when its fill. this makes it so I dont have to keep track of when to make RODI water, plus it can reduce TDS creep by having the RODI system make 30 gal batches at a single time.

my thought is that i would place a neptune optical sensor at the top and bottom of the tank. also, i would incorporate a neptune solenoid valve on the RODI system. I would then program the apex to open the solenoid when the botton optic is above water and close the solenoid when the top optic is under water.

would this work? does anyone have a better suggestion? cheaper yet still quality parts then those i listed?

Also, where should I put the solenoid valve, before the entire RODI sytem right?

OP
OP
dputt88

dputt88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about using APEX ATK- Automatic top off
I thought of that but its more expensive, the magnet may not grip onto the curved walls of the barrel, and will have the RO system constantly turning on and off meaning small batches with higher TDS creep. I really want the RO system to fill the barrel all at once.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 33 gal barrel that I have been using as an ATO/ RODI tank. I want to make it so that my apex will atomatically fill it up when it gets near empty. then turn the RODI off when its fill. this makes it so I dont have to keep track of when to make RODI water, plus it can reduce TDS creep by having the RODI system make 30 gal batches at a single time.

my thought is that i would place a neptune optical sensor at the top and bottom of the tank. also, i would incorporate a neptune solenoid valve on the RODI system. I would then program the apex to open the solenoid when the botton optic is above water and close the solenoid when the top optic is under water.

would this work? does anyone have a better suggestion? cheaper yet still quality parts then those i listed?

Also, where should I put the solenoid valve, before the entire RODI sytem right?
sounds about right. Not using it, but from what I understand a solenoid , optical sensor and breakout box will do. I think you can add some extra checks by placing fmm in front of it. Validate with some apex gurus,

OP
OP
dputt88

dputt88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an FMM from my ATK. I planned on using the 2 extra ports on it for the sesnors, the solenoid will be plugged into those fancy new outlets on the DC8

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be easy enough with an apex and a break out box. But for those of you who don't have an apex and want to do the same thing it's quite easy with some float switches, 2 solid state relays, a solenoid and a 12V wall wart.

Wire it up as per the below diagram. When the water gets low the bottom float will turn the solenoid on and start the flow of RODI. When the water level gets to the lower top float it will turn the solenoid off, just in case it fails there is an emergency high float as well. And then to really make it safe I have the RODI come into the ATO reservoir through a mechanical float switch too so if the water level gets above the emergency float that should cut off the flow of RODI.

Safe, stops TDS creep and never have to fill up your top off reservoir again :)

26175631_10156185427524427_812482195_n.png

20638013_10155755511454427_9118753038779622142_n.jpg

OP
OP
dputt88

dputt88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to have a break out box? I was under the impression that I could just use the remaining to ports on my FMM.

I should note that I don' have the tank yet, therefore my first apex isn' set up yet. I' just trying to stay ahead of the game.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing this with my Apex and two 25 gallon containers. I have a high and low float in each container. When the low switch opens, the solenoid connected to the Apex is opened. Once the tank fills and the high float closes, the solenoid is closed. It's a fairly simple setup utilizing a latch. You could do the same thing using optical sensors connected to the FMM instead of a the mechanical switches I used. I've also installed a mechanical float valve just in case the solenoid decides to give out.

If you are using a booster pump, you will need to place the solenoid after the pressure switch connected to the booster pump so it recognizes pressure in the line once you stop processing water. I would still recommend putting the solenoid after the RODI system to keep everything pressurized.

Here is my current Apex code for this part of my system:

RO_FILL (Solenoid connected to 24v on FMM)
Set OFF
Fallback OFF
If Output RO_Latch = OFF Then ON
If Time 22:00 to 08:00 Then OFF

RO_Latch (Virtual Outlet to control solenoid)
If Output RO_High = ON Then ON
If Output RO_Reset = ON Then OFF

RO_Reset (Virtual Outlet to reset RO_Latch)
Set OFF
If Output RO_Low = OFF Then ON
If Output Transfer = ON Then ON
If Output Fill = ON Then ON

RO_High (Virtual outlet for high float)
Set OFF
If Swx9_1 CLOSED Then ON
If Power Apex Off 003 Then ON
Defer 000:30 Then ON

RO_Low (Virtual outlet for low float)
Set OFF
If Swx9_2 CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:30 Then ON

B6A18F82-F242-4BD5-A02B-E600F7C2A235.jpeg
F1244976-0E35-4C8C-9DCF-E736AB9FB286.jpeg
9EF15966-35D2-4B0C-9D02-1CAA214D2D6A.jpeg
79C79D5B-AEF8-41BC-92B1-7DA2862A9874.jpeg

Last edited:

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use the solenoid after the system won' the RO reject discharge run continuously?
Yeah mine does, I've seen a lot of people say it won't but no matter what I couldn't get it to stop with mine so the solenoid is on the input line.

ryan_facc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of setting up solenoid on rodi as well. When I put it after the unit and its pressurized the waste runs continuously. I don’t know if I have the auto shut off setup improperly or if it’s failing now. It’s been in current position for last 4 years at least but the manual valve has always been befor the unit. I have grabbed a new shut off and will try it.

I am looking for help with code for apex to use an Atk on my resovoir to have it fill when it reaches bottom. I have the Atk in resovoir and a 3rd optical sensor as well. the 2 sensors on the Atk go into 1 and 2 and the refill sensor on 3. The solenoid is plugged into the fmm and is to send the water. I have a pmup in the reservoir that will send water to the tank where I have a 4th optical sensor that plugs into port 4 of the fmm. Any help would be great

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.9%
Back