Auto Testers: What's your take? Yay or Nay?

What's your take on automated testing?

• It's a huge step forward for the hobby!

Votes: 211 55.4%
  • I've got an auto tester and I'm a fan.

Votes: 99 26.0%
  • I've tried auto testing, and it has not been what I hoped.

Votes: 23 6.0%
  • I don't use an auto tester and I don't think I ever would.

Votes: 64 16.8%
  • I don't think this has been a step forward.

Votes: 17 4.5%
  • Other... (post in thread)

Votes: 30 7.9%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many of us who have been in the hobby for more than the last few years remember when the idea of auto testing seemed like a pipe dream. Well, now for the last several years, this dream has become a reality! With auto testers like the Trident, GHL Kh Director, GHL Ion Director, Alkatronic, Mastertronic, Reefbot, and others, innovation has made testing much less work (although that time saved certainly comes at a premium). As this video discusses, there are many benefits to these automatic testers that even go beyond just the saved work:

So my questions for today's discussion are:

What's your take on auto testers in general? Are you a fan?
Which ones have you had experience with?
Do you think these have been the step forward that we hoped they would be?
What considerations/cautions would you give others considering using these?

Photo: @W.vreeswijk
IMG_0460.jpeg

Last edited:

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see getting into one anytime soon. Nothing is off the table though I suppose. The system I use now after this many years it sounds cliche but I rely on observation moreso than anything else.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neptune Trident is a game changer for automated testing and dosing. As your aquarium grows, coral demands subtly change. Trident helped me take my aquarium to the next leve!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like any other tool, it depends on the implementation. If used for a hobbyist to get further away from their tank, then it will fail. If used as a tool to enhance an already-great routine, then it could be good.

I don't use one and don't know that I would. My routine consists of looking at my CaRx to see if bubbles are bubbling and efflient is rolling (daily), testing alk and salinity (weekly) and then testing some calcium and temp (every few months). I don't need anything more granular than this, but I totally understand why a lot of people would.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like any other tool, it depends on the implementation. If used for a hobbyist to get further away from their tank, then it will fail. If used as a tool to enhance an already-great routine, then it could be good.
Point Joe GIF by Bakedin

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see getting into one anytime soon. Nothing is off the table though I suppose. The system I use now after this many years it sounds cliche but I rely on observation moreso than anything else.

Observation of bioindicators is my control system. After 50 years of Reefing, I continue to throw away stuff that I don’t need to operate a marine ecosystem.

Depending on advanced equipment never replaces an informed, knowledgeable hobbiest.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a KH Guardian since 2016. Still going strong. I love this thing.

I tried the Trident for a year. Not a fan.

There is huge potential in this area. I am excited for what comes in the future.
Screenshot_20220411-134129_Gallery.jpg

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm not even a blip on your reefing career radar. I'm at about 6ish ha. Yeah the tank gives off obvious signs that I look for.

When I try to get smart and make things more awesome is when I fail. The basics work for me.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a great tool. Super useful for seeing long term trends. However you cant become too reliant on them as they're not perfect either. You still should do manual testing to verifying results and make sure it doesn't fall out of calibration.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have trident on the way and am hoping for the best . I’ve been gone more often in 2022 and want to assure I stay on top of the tank
Never work weekends and suddenly am on Saturdays and even a couple of Sundays. Not the hobby to say “ I have no time “

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they become more affordable, I will definitely be a buyer.

For now, I keep looking at my tests and how much less it costs and how little time I really spend doing it, so I stay with that. I do a good bit of ICP tests, but that's basically for things other than alk/cal. Would love to have an auto test for those.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i can't afford to delve into this. perhaps in the future i can! currently only looking to constantly monitor PH as my weekly testing seems enough, for now..

this definitely can help boost a good tank to even better levels.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the reason so many people have issues with their tanks is because of automation.

With automation, a disconnect is created between the hobbyist and their tank. "Set it and forget it" doesn't work in this hobby.

But without automation, a brief, daily, eyes on inspection of your tank will keep you on top of things, identifying small problems before they become big ones.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observation of bioindicators is my control system. After 50 years of Reefing, I continue to throw away stuff that I don’t need to operate a marine ecosystem.

Depending on advanced equipment never replaces an informed, knowledgeable hobbiest.
I do this also but my tank is only 25 gallon tank volume and I'm extremely worried a large Duncan
candy cane
and soon to come frog spawn will deplete my mag

And the 7 sps will deplete my cal

AKA I'm paranoid

I already do 40 percent water changes lol

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't afford to delve into this. perhaps in the future i can! currently only looking to constantly monitor PH as my weekly testing seems enough, for now..

this definitely can help boost a good tank to even better levels.

I can probably afford it, I mean technically, but I'm not that serious about this hobby to drop that kind of cash.

I want to here from these people:

I don't think this has been a step forward.​

What kind of curmudgeons do we have here?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the reason so many people have issues with their tanks is because of automation.

With automation, a disconnect is created between the hobbyist and their tank. "Set it and forget it" doesn't work in this hobby.

But without automation, a brief, daily, eyes on inspection of your tank will keep you on top of things, identifying small problems before they become big ones.
Very true indeed but I want it cuz I want to start at my tank more and test vials less lol

Back