Auto Water Change who uses it and how do you like it?

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers I’m considering doing AWC for my 56 gallon (prob 70ish total water volume with sump) aquarium. I have mostly lps, few solfties and some acros, some these are colonies other mostly frags. So main concerned is what’s everybody thought on there’s? Does it really help keep water stable as in kh, mag, and cal and salinity? Or do y’all have do extra dosing if have bigger colonies? I’m figuring it really helps with nutrients and control algae. But this mostly for people with a AWC. Do you like yours and does it help a lot and make reefing somewhat easier? I’ve already done research on how set up and stuff I want know results on your tanks!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running one for nearly three years and wouldn’t go back. Not having to touch buckets is awesome... Used Neptune Dos at first but found them way too loud and went over to Ecotech Versas. Continuous 2 gallons a day for roughly 33% a month in my system. Never any issues will sailinity but I do have to dose on top of the AWC to keep ALK/Ca/Mg inline

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC just makes the hobby much more enjoyable to be honest especially the bigger the tank you have.

I use Apex DOS which is very easy, but these days there are several options now available including eco tech already mentioned, but then theres the Kamoer systems

DOS works well, and is integrated very well into the Apex setup, although it’s noisy.

I haven’t tried the eco tech, but I’m sure it’s very good like their other equipment, but I do have a new Kamoer FX STP2 (I use it for a nitrate reactor) and 2 of those would make an ideal AWC setup especially as its now Wi-fi controlled

I wouldn’t set up any new tank again without a full AWC system in place, I’m done with carrying buckets around!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC just makes the hobby much more enjoyable to be honest especially the bigger the tank you have.

I use Apex DOS which is very easy, but these days there are several options now available including eco tech already mentioned, but then theres the Kamoer systems

DOS works well, and is integrated very well into the Apex setup, although it’s noisy.

I haven’t tried the eco tech, but I’m sure it’s very good like their other equipment, but I do have a new Kamoer FX STP2 (I use it for a nitrate reactor) and 2 of those would make an ideal AWC setup especially as its now Wi-fi controlled

I wouldn’t set up any new tank again without a full AWC system in place, I’m done with carrying buckets around!
I have been debating on buying a dos and using it as a awc. It’s that great?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for a while and liked it. Used a dual head peristaltic pump from Stenner. Worked very well. Only small issue was the pumps weren’t quite perfect so just needed to mix salinity a bit higher as more was pumped out than in. Kept the tank very stable. Going to reconnect it again to a second floor tank I’ll be setting up shortly.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating on buying a dos and using it as a awc. It’s that great?
It works very well for AWC with Apex but it’s noisy. Mine is outside in an insulated shed and I can still hear is whining when it’s on. For this reason I do water changes either at night or when I’m out so it’s not an issue

I wouldn’t even consider it for dosing with the other options available

If I didn’t have Apex as the ’brain’ I would get the 2 Kamoer FX STP2’s, there designed for continuous running 24/7 and certainly in the UK are much cheaper than DOS. If DOS ever failed, I would get the Kamoers not hesitation

Ive got the Kamoer so I can see how it works, it’s pretty silent and very good build quality. I think they build medical grade equipment so it’s very good quality, have a look at there web site.

Kamoer also do another version specifically for water changes which may be even better value

Last edited:

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works very well for AWC with Apex but it’s noisy. Mine is outside in an insulated shed and I can still hear is whining when it’s on. For this reason I do water changes either at night or when I’m out so it’s not an issue

If I didn’t have Apex as the ’brain’ I would get the 2 Kamoer FX STP2’s, there designed for continuous running 24/7 and certainly in the UK are much cheaper than DOS. If DOS ever failed, I would get the Kamoers not hesitation

Ive got the Kamoer so I can see how it works, it’s pretty silent and very good build quality. I think they build medical grade equipment so it’s very good quality, have a look at there web site.

Kamoer also do another version specifically for water changes which may be even better value

I appreciate all this! I have the new apex and apex jr i might have to grab a dos!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The noise of the Dos is inexcusable IMO. It’s audible across my entire house. I have a pretty well developed Apex system but switching to Versas for silent operation was a no brainer. I leverage my FMMs and optical sensors to control the outlet my Versas plugged into for a failsafe. But the reality with an AWC is once it’s calibrated what do you really need to control other than on/off?

For me, Neptune really dropped the ball with Dos units and that’s coming from someone who bought 2... lol

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using an AWC for about 9 months, and I change about 2 gallons a day on my 125. Not having to drag a trash can through the house is great. I have it pulling water from my mixing station in my utility room and the tubing is ran through the ceiling to the tank. All I have to do is mix up a new bath of saltwater twice a month. I'm using an old masterflex pump that is really loud, but it's not in my living room so I don't mind. I also have to mix my salt with a little higher salinity because I pull out more water than I put in, I tried to even that out with a valve but gave up and just started putting more salt into my water.

It basically does nothing for alkalinity and calcium stability it just keeps me from having to manually do a water change.

I've found that for me the key to keeping this hobby enjoyable is to automate the tasks that I don't like doing. If I don't like doing something I will eventually get lazy and not do it when I should (water top off, dosing, and water changes being the big ones for me).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a big benefit over manual changes on a larger system. I changed 1% daily on a total volume of ~300 gallons, and only spent about 10 minutes a month doing it (to make the water).

OP
OP
A

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using an AWC for about 9 months, and I change about 2 gallons a day on my 125. Not having to drag a trash can through the house is great. I have it pulling water from my mixing station in my utility room and the tubing is ran through the ceiling to the tank. All I have to do is mix up a new bath of saltwater twice a month. I'm using an old masterflex pump that is really loud, but it's not in my living room so I don't mind. I also have to mix my salt with a little higher salinity because I pull out more water than I put in, I tried to even that out with a valve but gave up and just started putting more salt into my water.

It basically does nothing for alkalinity and calcium stability it just keeps me from having to manually do a water change.

I've found that for me the key to keeping this hobby enjoyable is to automate the tasks that I don't like doing. If I don't like doing something I will eventually get lazy and not do it when I should (water top off, dosing, and water changes being the big ones for me).
Thanks that’s what I’m just wondering, I do kalk in my ato currently and just wondering if the AWC helps balance it but I guess not from your view on it. I’m wondering if I can still use my ato with kalk and AWC and maybe keep things stable?

OP
OP
A

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for a while and liked it. Used a dual head peristaltic pump from Stenner. Worked very well. Only small issue was the pumps weren’t quite perfect so just needed to mix salinity a bit higher as more was pumped out than in. Kept the tank very stable. Going to reconnect it again to a second floor tank I’ll be setting up shortly.
What about your kh/calc/mag? Did you still need dose it or what?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a very demanding tank, AWC should keep it stable. I dose now. Did not need to when doing awc

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I’ve seen that from research but just want try keep myself from dosing which so far from months is doing great with using kalk besides having do mag

If you're currently using Kalk you would want to continue to utilize it. In most usage cases the volume of water changed with an AWC, if used in a continuous manner, is too small to meet Alk/Ca demand

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a very demanding tank, AWC should keep it stable. I dose now. Did not need to when doing awc

I actually would say that unless you have a very low demand tank, water changes of any type will not maintain alkalinity.

With demand of 0.5 dKh per day (low), a water change of even 10% daily with 12 dKH water will not maintain against that loss.

1614803592128.png

Attachments

• 1614803545845.png
    1614803545845.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 38

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that’s what I’m just wondering, I do kalk in my ato currently and just wondering if the AWC helps balance it but I guess not from your view on it. I’m wondering if I can still use my ato with kalk and AWC and maybe keep things stable?

I did exactly that. Limewater (kalkwasser) on ATO, AWC changing slowly, 20 times a day for 15 minutes each time.

Only drawback is the variability in ATO dosing with evaporation rate changes. Using a dosing pump instead of ATO eliminates that issue.

Back