auto water changer question

ADHDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, set up my first marine tank and all seems well, ive got my RO and ATO all setup , now its water changes, i have a 140L tank under the DT for mixing salt in and i was planning on pumping a gallon of fresh salt mix in every night and pumping out a gallon @ the same time so it doesnt effect the ATO, do any water changers do this currently? from what i can gleam they pump water out then new water in but not at the same time. If i get a controller like the profilux with dosing pumps i can set this up to work like i intended? and will it work
thanks
Dan :D

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a controller you simply use it to disable the ATO for a short period while you pump the water out and back. Then it turns the ATO back on. Generally the controller uses the same sensors for ATO and AWC
I change 6 gallons once a day and the cycle takes 15 minutes.

People use dosers to do it the other way you mentioned but It's a lot more expensive so I never tried that.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, usually whatever device does the water change, does the ato too, it's the same electronics after all, just needs one more pump

Alternatively, you could go with something with continuous duty pumps and just do the water change constantly in so small increments that the ato ignores it or evaporation is just faster than what you pump in

OP
OP
A

ADHDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a controller you simply use it to disable the ATO for a short period while you pump the water out and back. Then it turns the ATO back on. Generally the controller uses the same sensors for ATO and AWC
I change 6 gallons once a day and the cycle takes 15 minutes.

People use dosers to do it the other way you mentioned but It's a lot more expensive so I never tried that.
I dont currently have a controller, ive got the tunze ATO. Im planning on getting the profilux controller for testing and dosing later when i get corals, can there stand alone dosing pump be controlled via an app if i was to get just that for now?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont currently have a controller, ive got the tunze ATO. Im planning on getting the profilux controller for testing and dosing later when i get corals, can there stand alone dosing pump be controlled via an app if i was to get just that for now?
Sorry, I have no idea. Not the direction I went with my system.
I have a 7 head doser that runs itself and a CoralVue Hydros XS to do the ATO/AWC and it monitors my skimmer so it doesn't overflow

You need 3 pumps for this.
RODI to tank
Sump to drain
SW to sump

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an older masterflex pump to pump water in and out at the same time for my AWC. I actually pump in slightly less water than I pump out so I make the water going in proportionally higher salinity and the ato makes up for the rest of the water.

My pump is just an old basic peristaltic pump hooked into a smart outlet, but any standalone dosers that can pump the distance you want should work. I was looking at the versas, and ghl standalone maxi doser before settling on an old masterflex. I was pumping from a different room of the house so I had to have a relatively heavy duty pump.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it exactly as you stated....water is pumped in and out at the same time. ATO never kicks on due to the water level never changing.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe take a look at the Kamoer FXSTP pumps, you would need 2.

I currently use Apex DOS (which is very good) but I’ve got a Kamoer for something else and it would be ideal for AWC

The Tunze should be fine with this as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back