Auto water changes with Red Sea Coral Pro salt

pianosdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using RS coral pro salt in my tank, and I have my Neptune DOS AWC system set up, but my concern is RS’s recommendation that the water be used immediately (within a few hours) of mixing.

Is there a particularly negative repercussion when NOT using RS saltwater right away? Other than some of the intentionally elevated parameters in RS’s salt may lessen a bit if the water is allowed to sit for some time?

Obviously the point of installing my AWC is so that I can mix it and forget it for a couple weeks at a time, but I’m unsure if I should be switching to another salt mix as a result or if RS is still ok to allow to sit in a bin for days until the AWC grabs it.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately due to the elevated levels it will start to precipitate out of the water even if you keep mixing. BRS did a video on it here.

OP
OP
P

pianosdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately due to the elevated levels it will start to precipitate out of the water even if you keep mixing. BRS did a video on it here.

Aye I caught those videos, but other than the elevated alk/ca/mg levels dropping over time (though not dangerously), there wasn’t anything said there at least that would tell me that an AWC with this salt would be *bad*…just not necessarily quite as “good”. Curious if that’s the wrong take.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back