Automated Dwarf Seahorse Aquarium

Jerry Gunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about 2 1/2 years I have been developing an automated Dwarf seahorse aquarium. I had quite a few failures but this version seems to work well. Everyone, please look it over and give me your comments. A presentation is available on the following link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tcmIGhTADJKRGT2xb1cA8YOF3DBJ7crlO8qSTdcw9kI

IMG_20200102_192803.jpg

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

Jerry Gunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Are they hard to keep?
Dwarf Seahorses are considered difficult to keep mainly because they rely on live enriched Artemia, (brine shrimp) food to survive. The labor involved is the problem. This project was meant to make it much easier to succeed as the system automatically hatches and feeds the seahorses. It also has multiple automated water quality systems incorporated to reduce the keepers workload.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty easy to see all the work that went into this project. Awesome job!
You planning on selling this to others?

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MOST important thing to me is that the thought and design that has gone into this project could lead some readers to maybe take this and come up with a "vacation" package for standard seahorses.
Think possibilities of keeping frozen MYSIS in high salinity water, UNFROZEN, and NOT spoiling for a week to allow for us to go away. What would be the LOWEST salinity in the mysis holding water that would prevent deterioration for a week?
That of course brings questions into play like will the mysis affect the seahorses with having a higher salt content from the transition in high salinity or will the amount of salt transitioned even be of any significant amount? If so, could there be a secondary step in fresh water to dilute that absorbed salt in them before being added to the tank. Could this be done via an automatic top off after a dilution of the salt in the mysis in fresh water, directly to the tank rather than a sump? You will need to do the top off anyway.
Maybe it can be done with a remote setup that will disperse the selected amount to the display tank at feeding time chosen?
There are a lot of hobbyist out there smarter than I am and could possibly take parts of Jerry's concept and come up with a workable solution.

OP
OP
J

Jerry Gunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty easy to see all the work that went into this project. Awesome job!
You planning on selling this to others?
I have no definite plans to sell anything. The main reason I developed this system is to encourage others to raise Dwarf seahorses. I started with a very simple system almost anyone could build. It did not work well. Then another more complex system that was still easy to build. It failed also. I realized a motorized system would be necessary at that point, so I went for it and this is where I ended up. I would be happy to help anyone who attempts to duplicate this system. I would say anyone with some tools could probably build everything except for the feeder mechanism. The feeder mechanism was easy for me as I have worked with computer controllers and servo/stepper motors for most of my life.

Depending upon the interest level, I may make available some detailed construction plans for hobbyists. I could easily build the servo feeder and make it available.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting design! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
J

Jerry Gunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about 2 1/2 years I have been developing an automated Dwarf seahorse aquarium. I had quite a few failures but this version seems to work well. Everyone, please look it over and give me your comments. A presentation is available on the following link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tcmIGhTADJKRGT2xb1cA8YOF3DBJ7crlO8qSTdcw9kI

IMG_20200102_192803.jpg
9 Day Unattended Test
The Automated Dwarf Seahorse Aquarium was left unattended while I was on vacation over the period of June 26, 2020 to July 5, 2020, a period of 9 days. I was able to use an Echo Show to drop in on the Aquarium each day to monitor the aquarium and perform a screen capture to get still pictures (available at the end of the linked document). The seahorses were well fed each day and there were no problems with the system. There was no algae growth visible. The bottom of the aquarium was no more dirty than normal. I usually siphon the bottom weekly, both front and back compartments. The Dwarf Seahorses were healthy and happy.
Screenshot_20200626-223644_Amazon Alexa.jpg

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any recent threads by you Jerry so just checking to see how things are going and do you have anything new on the go just now?

OP
OP
J

Jerry Gunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi rayjay, I have not designed anything new recently. But I'm thinking about some things. I did lose 4 dwarfs over the last 6 months. They were adults and at least 1.5 years old. They had no sign of disease and looked fine under a scope. So I guess their reported lifespan of 1-2 years might be correct. I currently have 20 in the automated aquarium which is still working very well. I may try to raise some fry to adults over the next few months as I have not really concentrated on raising them. A few survive but most get caught on the inlet screen and won't let go. I probably should rescue them and place them in a more fry friendly tank. But what would I do with them? They multiply like rabbits.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the updat Gerry. As far as dwarf fry goes, there are always people looking to buy them. If I know when you have any for sale I can try to locate a buyer if you can't.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back