Automatic, regular, unattended alkalinity monitoring

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I this really a study we need to do? Do not we know quite much about the mechanism of calcification so we already have the answer? Maybe I am wrong, I am not sure, but I would guess that a study like this would show that the alkalinity consumption would still be lower in the night, BUT the difference would be a little lower than in a natural system with pH difference. I think in this way: There are 2 forces to consumption alk. First the spontaneous which is very much driven my a higher pH, and there is the biological. The biological, thus in the coral, is also favored by higher pH in the environment water as far as I have understood, as it is more easy for the coral to "through out" the H+ from the obtained HCO3, to get CO3, and thus create CaCO3. But, as the coral also have a zooxanthella, and we know by studies that the photosynthesis in zooxanthelles have positive effect on formation of CacO3, the light itself also will improve the CaCO3 formation even if the pH in the water in the tank is of a lower pH, as the local pH in the coral, in the CaCO3-fixations local process, hav a higher pH due to the zoox local consumption of co2. Therefore I do think that the light will have an impact of alk-consumption even if the pH in environmental water is lower. So, this experiment you talk about (which of course is interesting, all exp are), I think will give the results that alk consumption is still some lower at night, BUT the difference comparing to a natural system, is slight lower, as even if the coral have internal CaCO3 formations process it is probably more easy for it if also the environment water have a higher pH.

And: I have seen very often the scenario that when we increase light, we got a remarkable increase of alkalinity consumption(if you have a lot of sps), but NOT that corresponding increase in pH. That gives some fuel to my thoughts above. The light itself due to the zoox have a very high potential to favorite CaCO3 in the coral, and it is not so dependent of the surrounding pH. That is maybe a very good survival strategy of the coral, and one of the reasons of the zoox symbiotic partnership:). Of course there are limits, where ocean acidification get ot more difficult for the coral. It can not compensate a low pH in the water over a certain point of course, thus: if we in your experiment idea settle the pH to a too low level, I think we reach a point where there is no difference in alk consumption during day and night...but then we have reached the point where the coral due to too low pH cannot calcify despite the light.

/Jonas

I think we agree that the abiotic precipitation will increase when pH is highest. What portion of the total alk consumption does that comprise in a typical reef tank? 5%? 75%? It might vary hugely.

It is certainly established in the scientific literature that photosynthesis "helps" calcification. The question is why and whether higher external pH may be a driver.

Here's a recent paper that shows the dark calcification rate is actually higher than the light calcification rate at fixed pH 8.1. for an acropora (see Figure 1). So might the effects that Jim and others see showing more alk demand during the day not actually reflect increased calcification during the day, but some other process, potentially including abiotic precipitation? Or maybe O2 is the driver?

http://bio.biologists.org/content/3/6/489

Fig. 1.Calcification rates of Acropora millepora.

(A) Light calcification rate of A. millepora at a pH of 8.1 and 8.4, and 100 and 170% oxygen saturation. (B) Dark calcification rate of A. millepora at a pH of 8.1 and 7.8, and 100 and 30% oxygen saturation. Values are means + S.E. (n = 4). Asterisks indicate significant differences (P<0.050). The light and dark experiments were carried out with an interlude of several weeks.
F1.large.jpg

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may well be true (but why are you sure photosynthesis is the sole cause?), but I'd like to see the full reverse effect, not just steady pH. Higher at night by about the same amount folks see during the day, say 0.1 to 0.3 pH units. :)
Aha, well that is interesting, you mean turn it around so to speak. Well I do not think the light is sole cause but the main cause. That is, if we lowered pH during day to same as during night by adding Co2 during day, It think we should still see a higher alk consumption during day, but not as high as if we to that also have higher pH during day. Thus a mix, where the light is predominated as cause of the diurnal difference. But you exp should maybe answer better to that:)

Jonas

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we agree that the abiotic precipitation will increase when pH is highest. What portion of the total alk consumption does that comprise in a typical reef tank? 5%? 75%? It might vary hugely.

It is certainly established in the scientific literature that photosynthesis "helps" calcification. The question is why and whether higher external pH may be a driver.

Here's a recent paper that shows the dark calcification rate is actually higher than the light calcification rate at fixed pH 8.1. for an acropora (see Figure 1). So might the effects that Jim and others see showing more alk demand during the day not actually reflect increased calcification during the day, but some other process, potentially including abiotic precipitation? Or maybe O2 is the driver?

http://bio.biologists.org/content/3/6/489

Fig. 1.Calcification rates of Acropora millepora.

(A) Light calcification rate of A. millepora at a pH of 8.1 and 8.4, and 100 and 170% oxygen saturation. (B) Dark calcification rate of A. millepora at a pH of 8.1 and 7.8, and 100 and 30% oxygen saturation. Values are means + S.E. (n = 4). Asterisks indicate significant differences (P<0.050). The light and dark experiments were carried out with an interlude of several weeks.
F1.large.jpg
isn´that experiment data in opposite direction of other data? it sounds very strange...If we compare same oxygen conc 100%, for dark and light and same pH (8.1), and still the coral calcify more in dark in that case???...how do they explain that? what is the theory?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Effects of too much oxygen during the day actually suppresses calcification....regardless of other factors.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Effects of too much oxygen during the day actually suppresses calcification....regardless of other factors.

Maybe a good reason to skim aquaria. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a good reason to skim aquaria. :)

You think?! (Yes: Aeration by Skimmers) ;)

(citing none other than Eric Borneman....I keep bumping into his works lately! Sure wish that site was easier to browse!)

"Maybe" a good reason to have strong flow in our tanks as well. (DISCUSSION section)

:D

(All three of those links are good reads, or re-reads, for anyone.)

In seriousness, aeration/gas exchange already stands as one of the main reasons to run a skimmer and for having good flow – this goes onto the list of supporting reasons for aeration. (But whether all reefers are aware of this???)

In keeping with that, this would seem to be the new #1 reason NOT to go skimmerless, which is sort of a minor trend.

If someone wanted to monitor O2 levels, what is the best way to do so in a home reef these days? Does it still cost $,$$$ for usable measurements? I.e. Is something like the Neptune sensor fine/calibrated properly, etc? Do you know of any other good options for O2 monitoring at home?

(BTW, my original comment was just supposed to be a paraphrasing of the idea contained in the graphs from your post – GOOD ARTICLE!! – in an attempt to answer @JonasRoman's last inquiry. But skimming is a good angle to add!)

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but it was same oxygen sat (100%) in the two cases with same pH 8.1, day and night...thus the only difference between these 2 was only light or not light, and still more growth in night, that confuses me a lot.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a very scientific observation, but when it comes to the human body does it not heal itself more at night? When we grow into adulthood do we not grow more at night when we rest? Maybe our corals are no different. During the day they absorbed light for fueling growth, then at night they use this fuel to build.

????

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but it was same oxygen sat (100%) in the two cases with same pH 8.1, day and night...thus the only difference between these 2 was only light or not light, and still more growth in night, that confuses me a lot.

They said the effect of pH was insignificant at night, hence the pH during the day has more significance.

8.1 during the day ≠ 8.1 during the night ;)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this difference in "pH significance" gets written off to the cost of photosynthesis during the day. Photosynthsis is definitely a double-edge sword.

andrewnatmick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you attending MACNA this coming weekend, keep an eye out for me demonstrating a prototype of my Alkalinity Monitor device. It is capable of interfacing with any controller that can accept a pH probe's input. It has both an accuracy and also a precision of +/- 0.05 dKH. I'm thinking this could be a game changer.

Here is an Apex graph of two day's worth of monitoring of my tank, showing a small daily alk swing in response to the photoperiod:

Diurnal%20Alkalinity%20Swing%20-%20Two%20Full%20Days_zpsbunbn6zk.png

Hi Jim,
I came across your excellent MACNA talk about your automatic Alk testing device. Might I be as bold to ask how far along the road you are to making this commercially available? or at least at a place where as a hobbyist I might buy one?
Kindest

andrewnatmick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jim,
I came across your excellent MACNA talk about your automatic Alk testing device. Might I be as bold to ask how far along the road you are to making this commercially available? or at least at a place where as a hobbyist I might buy one?
Kindest
I think you can ignore that message - its now the Trident?
Sorry

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back