Automation: What do you have automated!

How much of your saltwater reef tank is automated?

• Nothing is automated

Votes: 83 14.3%
  • 25% or so

Votes: 174 30.1%
  • 50% or so

Votes: 123 21.2%
  • 75% or so

Votes: 132 22.8%
  • Close to 100%

Votes: 63 10.9%
  • Totally Automated (we need proof)

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex system with DOS for daily AWC, a second DOS I will setup for 2 part so I don’t have to manually dose it anymore, lights automated, pumps automated, ATO (tunze), Inkbird, and I think that is mostly it.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ato, dosing, lights, heater, I still manually test weekly I just don’t trust auto testing. I would like to be able to do auto water changes.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters (redundant shut off), lights, 2-part dosing, and ATO are the only things I have automated.

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights.
ATO straight from ro/di suppy.
Multipe wave makers running different programs at different times of the day.
Dosing for aquaforest 1+2+3.
Dos for AWC constantly changing 1.5 gallons a day.
AFS for pellets couple times a day.
Trident
Apex for temp, ph, and salinity only use the salinity to watch for any fluctuations I always have my water station at 35ppm.
Wish I could figure out how to make my salt and ro/di water mix in its container automatically but hey, I fill from the storage tank then add salt and check it a couple times usually after 1hr then 3hrs. Pretty easy when it's 50gallons at a time and I only have to do it about once a month, unless there is an issue in the tanks.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There wasn't an option for >0 but <25%, lol. The only things I have automated are lights (run on their app) and gyres via Hydros. I wish I was more tech savvy, but alas, I am not (not that I could afford all the high tech gear anyway but would DIY it if I knew how!). If I could choose 1 or 2 things to automate, though, it'd be ATO and AWC!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on it!
8C5630F2-9DE6-4CA9-932B-28F25FF21EDD.jpeg

StKi1da

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkatronic controlling dosetronic, Clarasea rollermat, ATO, STC1000 for temperature for heater and fans and a raspberry pi that monitors a number of float switches - one on the top off level, two on the sump return chamber (one if it drops the other if it rises too much) and a final micro in the skimmer cup. Oh I also have a timer delay on the skimmer in the event of a power cut.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the top off and lights off. Led white/blue and T5s all go on in varying combinations for as long as I remember to change it. Keeps the corals using what they spectrum they like most during the time they get it. It's doing way better than a typical on off schedule ever did for me, not to mention algae reduction.

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The only things that I currently do manually are cleaning glass (every 2-3 days), testing NO3 and PO4 (once a week), mixing salt (once a month), and dosing Mg which I do when it gets below 1400ppm (usually every 4-6 weeks).

I have automatic daily water changes, a trident for daily testing Alk, Ca, and Mg, and auto dosing of Ca, Alk, and trace. Auto feeding is done via a cheap battery operated feeder that is been reliable but I usually supplement with frozen 1-2 times a day.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if the real question is automation or all in one control.
Lights automated with built in control and access through browser. Kamoer ATO. Kamoer x1 bluetooth dosing pumps. Sicce return and two sicce wave pumps with app. 2 icecap 4k pumps with controller. Heater and carbon reactor. Everything is on kasa wifi power strips.
Feeding, water changes, testing is not automated. Auto feeder only used if go out of town longer than a week.
So highly automated but but not with an Apex or any all in one system.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on what we want to call automation. Are simple timers for lights automation? Is a heater controller automation? If so, no one can claim zero automation.

I think of automation more as auto water changes, automatic feeders, auto RODI stuff, Trident and Trident controlled dosing. Things like that. In that sense, almost none of my reef is automated except dosing pumps.

mpnunley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights, Neptune skys
Ato,
Cal,alk,mag testing trident
Temp apex
Wave pumps
Doser apex

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a BIG fan of automation as I think it's a cool component to reefing. That being said I don't always trust automation. It is pretty cool though that you can feed your fish from across the world and watch them eat! Anywho....Let's talk about what you have automated on your reef tank today!

What do you have automated on your reef tank? Share a list please!

image.jpeg

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a BIG fan of automation as I think it's a cool component to reefing. That being said I don't always trust automation. It is pretty cool though that you can feed your fish from across the world and watch them eat! Anywho....Let's talk about what you have automated on your reef tank today!

image.jpeg
These help save me time on my 20 G AIO:
AI Prime 16HD - on set schedule
AI Nero3 - on set schedule
Auto fish feeder
Duetto nano ATO
InkBird heater/cooler (fan) controller
Soon to set up dosing pump for kalkwasser in 1.5 liter bottle

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you said Nothing Is Automated, I'd love to see you stirring your aquarium to maintain flow while simultaneously riding a Gym bike powering it's light.
Jokes aside my Nano is I guess as manual as it gets. Water change, water change... Water change. I have like 1000 ideas that I'm working towards. I'm paying off a boosted 400GPD RODI unit which was introduced in conjunction with a sump, over doubling the total aquarium water volume and it slightly shocked the system, it got a little cloudy but cleared up soon enough. Now some Red cyano has started to spread that I'm battling. I don't know whether to manually remove the Red Cyano or use a product like RedCyanoRX or skip both and just add some hardware like a small GFO reactor for a 50 gallon system. And maybe a Fluval UVC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see:
*Lights
*Ato
*Dosing - Soda ash, calcium, minor trace and amino aacids
*Feeding (above and beyond what I feed)
*Testing - pH, Salinity, ORP, Temp, Ambien room temp, Dissolved oxygen, Alk, calcium and magnesium.
*flow

wanting to set up AWC system next. I have most everything I need…except the Mrs. approval

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
100% only in this hobby because I can automate it. If it were a manual switch for lights etc. everyday, I wouldn’t have a tank.

I also work in automation and robotics so I may be a little bit bias.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back