AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through every post on this thread, I have to ask. How many different acro species do you have? I know you probably don't have a hard count, but what would you guess you are at? Beautiful setup and a prime example of how patience pays off in this hobby.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off, thanks so much for taking the time to read every single page of my build thread! :) I really appreciate it. I am not sure how many acropora species I have in my grow-out system now as many corals are just different variations of the same species. For example, my acropora tenuis species include the following: Matt V Orange Envy, Walt Disney Acro , JF Homewrecker, RR Orange Passion, RH Blue Demon, RRC Pretty in Pink, RRC Garden of Eden, etc.

I have way too many acropora and montipora corals in my grow-0ut system now but my goal is to reduce the number in half and only put the most colorful corals in my 600g display tank when complete. I am going to go slow in stocking the new reef with lesser desirable corals first to make sure the new system is mature enough to handle SPS before replacing them with more desirable corals. Hence, patience is key.

After reading through every post on this thread, I have to ask. How many different acro species do you have? I know you probably don't have a hard count, but what would you guess you are at? Beautiful setup and a prime example of how patience pays off in this hobby.

Last edited:

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, thanks so much for taking the time to read every single page of my build thread! :) I really appreciate it. I am not sure how many acropora species I have in my grow-out system now as many corals are just different variations of the same species. For example, my acropora tenuis species include the following: Matt V Orange Envy, Walt Disney Acro , JF Homewrecker, RR Orange Passion, RH Blue Demon, RRC Pretty in Pink, RRC Garden of Eden, etc.

I have way too many acropora and montipora corals in my grow-0ut system now but my goal is to reduce the number in half and only put the most colorful corals in my 600g display tank when complete. I am going to go slow in stocking the new reef with lesser desirable corals first to make sure the new system is mature enough to handle SPS before replacing them with more desirable corals. Hence, patience is key.

Of course! It is always nice to see someone else who is so passionate about the hobby and keeping it going. I live in the Seattle area which I feel like sometimes is a black hole of the Saltwater hobby. As we just don't have a lot of us up here. I can still find people, but nothing like the communities out East or in Florida/California. Any chance you would do an overview of your current grow out system? Or is that on another build thread?

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes indeed, Jeff. It can get complicated my friend.

Its probably been a year or so since I last saw Tim's grow out system and I honestly dont know how he can remember all the names of his corals. I would have to have a labeled map with names.:)
Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure! You can find pictures of my grow-out system on page 17 of my build thread. My methods are old school, nothing fancy or high tech at all. I do manual top-offs, run 250 and 400 watt halides, and utilize a large calcium reactor (w/ pH controller) and run a large protein skimmer as well. I also use activated carbon on the system to keep the water crystal clear. The media I use for the calcium reactor is a mixture of dead coral skeletons and magnesium (see attached pictures). Perform 30g water changes weekly too. That is basically it. ;)

IMG_4102.JPG

IMG_4100(1).JPG

IMG_4097(1).JPG

Of course! It is always nice to see someone else who is so passionate about the hobby and keeping it going. I live in the Seattle area which I feel like sometimes is a black hole of the Saltwater hobby. As we just don't have a lot of us up here. I can still find people, but nothing like the communities out East or in Florida/California. Any chance you would do an overview of your current grow out system? Or is that on another build thread?

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I absolutely love this one! It's a true stick form of the famous Sunset montipora. Introducing AV99's Sunset Envy

P8082699.jpg
P8082700.jpg

Holy crap what a stunning growth pattern and original coloration! This piece is superb! I wish I could get my hands on a nice chunk of this! Where is it from? Aussie or Bali?

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really appreciate your excitement about this coral too and thank you very much for the compliment! The Sunset Envy has been in my system since 2014 but I have absolutely no clue where it came from. When we moved to the new house a few years ago, I added a lot of sps frags to my grow-out system from various sources and many arrived browned out so I lost track of some names or origins, etc. It is a true gem and something I have not seen before.

Holy crap what a stunning growth pattern and original coloration! This piece is superb! I wish I could get my hands on a nice chunk of this! Where is it from? Aussie or Bali?

Last edited:
Back